Latest HBO Trailer

Westeros

Seen a lot of people mention Braavos, but no speculation as to WHY they are showing the city or in what context. Doesn't it have to be Arya's arrival?

No, because Stannis is going there. That's almost certainly the context.

Where is that referenced in the books? Is it just spoken about after the Wildling battle?

Not in the books. Stannis is going to Braavos on the way to the Wall to treat with Tycho Nestoris of the Iron Bank. He'll ask him for money, he'll presumably get turned down and then later on, when the Iron Bank isn't having any luck getting the Throne to pay back their debts, they'll go to Stannis (as they did in the books) but it will make more sense on the show after seeing Stannis interact with them in a previous season.

Call me crazy, but seeing Yara actually engaging in battle at the Dreadfort now further fuels my hunch that they'll kill both her and Balon in one fellow swoop (Balon in Episode 1, Yara in Episode 2/3). This will not only build up Theon's mental torment ("all of your immediate family is dead"), but also it'll start the elimination process of several FFC/DWD storylines and characters (which Cogman confirmed a few months ago).

Her attack will probably serve as a convenient plot device as well, to quicken the Bolton's descent upon Winterfell.

Not in the books. Stannis is going to Braavos on the way to the Wall to treat with Tycho Nestoris of the Iron Bank. He'll ask him for money, he'll presumably get turned down and then later on, when the Iron Bank isn't having any luck getting the Throne to pay back their debts, they'll go to Stannis (as they did in the books) but it will make more sense on the show after seeing Stannis interact with them in a previous season.

Agree

Why would they kill off a major character who's still alive 3 books later? What sense would that make?

I totally get where you're coming from. It's just, to me it feels like it's simply just one step towards making Season 5 (and so on) neater and more condensed. We already know through Cogman (and I believe D&D themselves in an EW interview a few months back) that they're cutting out a fair share of the new FFC/DWD POVs because of the overabundance of storylines we already have going on in the show. On that same note, I do feel as if It connects and gives more sense to D&D's random "save Theon" arc .

I'm not trying to discredit anything, regardless. She may very well stay alive and fulfill her FFC/DWD material (I'm hoping for it because she's one of my all-time favorite ASOIAF characters).

The Titan looks pretty amazing. Also rare to see all three dragons on screen at once.

And it seems they will indeed add two scenes I wasn't certain they would; Tyrion and his collateral damage, and Cercei and Jaime having a special reunion. The latter especially is surprising, but then again the show hasn't shied from sex at all, and it's not any grosser than torture or rape.

It looks like we'll be getting a real battle for Meereen (those catapults), which I don't really get: I mean, they must have had more spare budget for season 3 than this one, Castle Black and all, so why not make the Yunkai battle a real set piece, and have Meereen be taken by stealth? Oh well :dunno:, not complaining. No real cons, I loved the trailer.

If they even, kind a, do full FIRST battle of Meereen, HBO is laying down some serious swords from their treasure chest!

(That is only told as a flash back in the book. I consider the breaking of the Siege of Meereen as the SECOND battle of Meereen.)

Especially considering , my hunch, that the Battle for the Wall, will be 10 times more elaborate than Blackwater.

A honking dust big up!

HBO may be dropping a bundle on episode 9!

Call me crazy, but seeing Yara actually engaging in battle at the Dreadfort now further fuels my hunch that they'll kill both her and Balon in one fellow swoop (Balon in Episode 1, Yara in Episode 2/3). This will not only build up Theon's mental torment ("all of your immediate family is dead"), but also it'll start the elimination process of several FFC/DWD storylines and characters (which Cogman confirmed a few months ago).

Do you have a link for this? I don't recall Cogman stating that definitively.

If that's the case, it will be interesting to see who stays and who gets the chop, although I can pretty easily imagine who would be eliminated.

looks like 7 seasons is the plan:

" As of a few minutes ago, James Hibberd of EW is reporting that David Benioff has stated that seven seasons is the plan. Benioff goes on to say it’s the (unstated) goal they’ve had since the beginning, that “it feels right to us,” referencing “seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons.” Seven is a key number in Westeros, of course, and it may be the magic number in the end for Game of Thrones."

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/benioff-and-weiss-on-planning-for-the-end-were-coming-around-the-bend-right-now/

Archived