EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

As I alluded to earlier, there might actually be a difference of opinion regarding the length of the series between Benioff and Weiss on one side and HBO on the other. This is just speculation at this point, but there does seem to be a bit of evidence that the showrunners would like to to go seven seasons, whereas HBO, no doubt motivated by the continued ratings and financial success of the show, would like to go longer (or, at the very least, they don't want to prematurely close the door on that possibility).

As I alluded to earlier, there might actually be a difference of opinion regarding the length of the series between Benioff and Weiss on one side and HBO on the other. This is just speculation at this point, but there does seem to be a bit of evidence that the showrunners would like to to go seven seasons, whereas HBO, no doubt motivated by the continued ratings and financial success of the show, would like to go longer (or, at the very least, they don't want to prematurely close the door on that possibility).

If that were the case, it would mean HBO was comfortable with spending however much it takes to get all the actors to extend their contracts. And if that were the case, it would mean HBO was willing to spend a great deal of money in general to get an 8th season, which would also mean they'd be willing to give D&D an enormous paycheck to go 8 seasons. Even if D&D are ready to be done after 7 seasons, I can't imagine they'd be willing to turn down that payday. Ergo, this scenario should not be a roadblock to an 8th season.

Unless, I suppose, D&D truly feel from an artistic sense that anything more than 7 seasons would be dragging things out to such an extent that it fatally damages the show.

That's the thing with these decisions. You would hope that financial considerations would not be the sole determining factor, largely because such thinking tends to have a negative effect on the art involved, but unfortunately that is usually the case.

Perhaps in this instance though, it isn't too big a deal.

Let us imagine a scenario in which they produce a fifth season which covers the entirety of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, and follow that with a sixth season that covers all of The Winds of Winter. Now, spring of 2016 comes around and the sixth season premiers to spectacular ratings, something like 10 million viewers, which compels HBO to offer all kinds of money so that they get an eighth or, at the very least, an extended seventh season.

The way I see it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get a full version of A Dream of Spring at the expense of a condensed adaption of books four, five and six. I find that infinitely preferable to a scenario in which they rush the end because they have spent so much time on the material from books four and five.

This might be true, however - remember this... By the time the new season premiers, the next seasons writing is well under way, if not close to completion. So the decision to extend beyond seven seasons would have to come before the sixth season premiered... There's no way they could rework the scripts in that short time to accommodate another season without compromising the show itself - never mind the amount of money it would take, and they've already gone over budget on a number of episodes, or so said D&D at one point...

I've seen it suggested that the show will only go through The Winds of Winter and then a movie based on ADOS will end the story. At first I didn't like the idea but recently I've been warming up to it. It would give more time for adapting the remaining books and give Grrm more time to write.

Assuming this idea actually happens, we have AFFC, ADWD, and TWOW left for season 5, 6, and 7 (and some of season 4). That's three large books in three 10 episode seasons. Now, let's say TWOW comes out in 2015 which, at this point, doesn't seem too unrealistic considering Grrm's recent comments on his blog and on the BBC. In case you haven't seen them, he mentioned on his blog that he hasn't done nearly as much rewriting on TWOW as he did on AFFC/ADWD and that he's probably not going to release any more sample chapters. On the BBC he said that he's a good way through TWOW. Both comments are much more optimistic than usual. So, let's say TWOW comes out in 2015 when season 5 is airing. Season 7 would be in 2017. TWOW would have been out for 2 years already (imagine that) and Grrm would (hopefully) be a good way through ADOS.

Then a movie would end the story. They would have a bigger budget and more time. Some have assumed that two movies would be necessary which I'm fine with. Movie 1 would be out in 2018 and movie 2 in 2019. That gives Grrm a little over 3 years to finish ADOS without it being completely spoiled for readers, or a little over 4 years without the ending being spoiled. It's also possible that Grrm would be able to oversee the writing of the screenplay to be sure that it's as accurate as possible.

Also $$$$$.

This might be true, however - remember this... By the time the new season premiers, the next seasons writing is well under way, if not close to completion. So the decision to extend beyond seven seasons would have to come before the sixth season premiered... There's no way they could rework the scripts in that short time to accommodate another season without compromising the show itself - never mind the amount of money it would take, and they've already gone over budget on a number of episodes, or so said D&D at one point...

Correct. But note, that they just ordered two more seasons, when the fourth had barely premiered so its not unprecedented for them to be thinking about the long term.

I don't know about a Season Eight, but I really think extra episodes for Seasons Six and Season aren't just possible but likely.

I for one think we'll have a much better idea once we hear casting decisions for Season Five and see who they will and won't be including...

If, when they do extra episodes it will mean waiting more for the next season than we usually do. I guess a way to do that e premiere season 5 in True Blood's slot next year. That way the have more time to produce it and can go forward with a 12 episode season. It would be very important, especially for the next season, they could introduce dorne and the iron islands like that...

I've seen it suggested that the show will only go through The Winds of Winter and then a movie based on ADOS will end the story. At first I didn't like the idea but recently I've been warming up to it. It would give more time for adapting the remaining books and give Grrm more time to write.

Assuming this idea actually happens, we have AFFC, ADWD, and TWOW left for season 5, 6, and 7 (and some of season 4). That's three large books in three 10 episode seasons. Now, let's say TWOW comes out in 2015 which, at this point, doesn't seem too unrealistic considering Grrm's recent comments on his blog and on the BBC. In case you haven't seen them, he mentioned on his blog that he hasn't done nearly as much rewriting on TWOW as he did on AFFC/ADWD and that he's probably not going to release any more sample chapters. On the BBC he said that he's a good way through TWOW. Both comments are much more optimistic than usual. So, let's say TWOW comes out in 2015 when season 5 is airing. Season 7 would be in 2017. TWOW would have been out for 2 years already (imagine that) and Grrm would (hopefully) be a good way through ADOS.

Then a movie would end the story. They would have a bigger budget and more time. Some have assumed that two movies would be necessary which I'm fine with. Movie 1 would be out in 2018 and movie 2 in 2019. That gives Grrm a little over 3 years to finish ADOS without it being completely spoiled for readers, or a little over 4 years without the ending being spoiled. It's also possible that Grrm would be able to oversee the writing of the screenplay to be sure that it's as accurate as possible.

Also $$$$$.

A movie would not work out well at all. ASOIAF is unworkable as a movie, far too much would have to be cut to fit into the running time. Even if they give us 2 movies (which is asking a lot), we still get less than HALF of what we'd get in a full season of the show. And HBO owns the rights, why would they ever let something they own the rights for (something which is now their biggest hit) be in the movie theaters instead of airing on HBO?

If, when they do extra episodes it will mean waiting more for the next season than we usually do. I guess a way to do that e premiere season 5 in True Blood's slot next year. That way the have more time to produce it and can go forward with a 12 episode season. It would be very important, especially for the next season, they could introduce dorne and the iron islands like that...

Yes, according to D&D that's the only way they could possibly produce more episodes in one season, but then some people would have to die filming in Iceland in the heart of winter. I think they will stay on the same schedule of filming from July to late fall.

Yes, according to D&D that's the only way they could possibly produce more episodes in one season, but then some people would have to die filming in Iceland in the heart of winter. I think they will stay on the same schedule of filming from July to late fall.

That's a matter of logistics I think. People don't have to die lol, they can film the Iceland scene beforehand and have an extended and more relaxed calendary for shooting. This is dependent on the actors' schedule of course.

That's a matter of logistics I think. People don't have to die lol, they can film the Iceland scene beforehand and have an extended and more relaxed calendary for shooting. This is dependent on the actors' schedule of course.

If D&D are correct that they can't produce more than 10 episodes in 52 weeks, 12 episodes will push everything back 2-3 months, meaning filming won't start anywhere until summer is over or almost over, and will be delayed even further the following year. Not saying it's impossible, just that it would make a hellacious shoot even more difficult.

If D&D are correct that they can't produce more than 10 episodes in 52 weeks, 12 episodes will push everything back 2-3 months, meaning filming won't start anywhere until summer is over or almost over, and will be delayed even further the following year. Not saying it's impossible, just that it would make a hellacious shoot even more difficult.

You might be right-but I suppose it might also depend on how much of the shoots have to be out in the open in Iceland and so forth-I mean scenes that are shot in KL or inside the walls of Winterfell may not be such a problem at all since they already have all the sets....but of course later seasons will necessitate a lot of battle scenes too-can't forget that.

While it's true that producing additional episodes back anywhere from two to three months, I disagree with the notion that this would correspond with a delay in shooting. It all comes down to scheduling, and it would make sense for the production to start at the same time while simply extending the shoot.

If they're ever going to do more than ten episodes, it will be in either one (or both) of these scenarios:

1.) GoT takes the spot of either True Blood or Boardwalk Empire in the schedule for next year, giving the production teams additional time for more episodes.

2.) The final season could likely be delayed, in order to accommodate additional episodes.

Both of these would be extremely circumstantial, but not outside the realm of possibility or plausibility.

I hope they don't split the season or make additional episodes, ten episodes per season is such a spectacularly round and concise number and I'd rather the tradition carry through.

However, splitting the final season of a big show into two has become such a common trend these days, that I almost feel like Game of Thrones will be pressured to do it by HBO. I could see two 7 or 8 episode "half-seasons" comprising what's called "Season 7."

Director of episode 2, Alex Graves:

DEADLINE: The show is getting close to almost completely catching up to George R.R. Martin’s books. Where can we go for the rest of the season and the other two seasons that HBO has renewed the show for?

GRAVES: I have to be careful how I answer that. First of all the show is still in the books and it won’t be out of the books here for another season and hopefully by then the first of the last book will be done. But I can only say that David and Dan and George have it all very well in hand.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/game-of-thrones-spoilers-hbo-death-alex-graves-season-4-episode-2/

Adding this from another interview:

For those who have read the books, would you say that they’re not going to know what to expect this season or will be able to predict it?

I actually don’t think that they’ll be able to predict because the second half of the season kind of mixes and merges into a very interesting cocktail of some of books four and five. So it was really like, “Oh wow!” It was really brilliant the way they did it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/14/game-of-thrones-joffrey_n_5135715.html

and it won’t be out of the books here for another season

The expectation being that season 5 will cover AFFC/ADWD in toto (minus a battle perhaps, and padded with some TWOW in some arcs). I'm happy with that.

Very interesting comments from Graves. He essentially confirms that the fifth season will adapt all of books four and five. So one way or another, we will be getting The Winds of Winter by spring of 2016 at the latest.

Adding this from another interview:

I actually don’t think that they’ll be able to predict because the second half of the season kind of mixes and merges into a very interesting cocktail of some of books four and five. So it was really like, “Oh wow!” It was really brilliant the way they did it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/14/game-of-thrones-joffrey_n_5135715.html

Interesting.

Archived