EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

I don't see how Game Of Thrones could end with only 7 seasons. It is one of the most successful and iconic series on TV. Even with the contract renegotiations, HBO will earn millions. I guess 8 seasons is the minimum...

I never got what the big deal was. FeastDance has only really tv-worthy material for 1 season so season 6 will be book 6 stuff and season 7 will be book 7 stuff. Book 3 is the exception because it has so much good stuff going on so they want to include everything here because, as it is the end of the first act of the story, it also sets up act 2 (FeastDance) so the payoffs for things mentioned in thsi season will be next season and they have 2 battles they can use, even if they have not been written yet but overall, yeah, next year, book readers, prepare to enter the unknown.

I think things will be further rearranged. I think next season some storylines will be advanced to Winds territory, while others would be slowed down, so there might be some plotlines from Feast/ Dance pushed to season 6. The main reason I believe this is because there's no way HBO can afford the battles of Ice and Fire in the same season. Thus I believe one of the battles will be already in season 5.

They might even ditch the Aegon, Dorne and Ironborn stories altogether.

I don't have a particularly good sense about how committed Benioff and Weiss are to the show and whether they would prefer to move on to something else sooner rather than later, but I do think their wishes have been somewhat ignored in this discussion. Given how long they have worked on Game of Thrones though, it would not be the most surprising thing if they wanted to try something new, especially now that they probably have a whole host of opportunities afforded by the show's massive success. It would be interesting to see the result if HBO wanted eight seasons while Benioff and Weiss preferred seven and how that would be resolved.

Imagine if their other projects do so well that they stop the show at 6 seasons! All this conversation between 7 or 8 will have been for naught. :P

joking really - they'll probably see it to the end, but I do wonder if HBO can replace them, should they wish to 'retire' from GoT.

If HBO wants more than 7 seasons, they'll have more than 7 seasons. I'm sure they'd be happy to have D&D showrun it, but I don't necessarily think they have to be the showrunners.

I think it's unrealistic for some dude to show up and take the reins to this monster and have success. Furthermore, D&D are currently writing season 5 with a clear end point (most likely 7 seasons) in mind. Tacking on an eighth season just because doesn't seem like it would work to me.

I think it's unrealistic for some dude to show up and take the reins to this monster and have success. Furthermore, D&D are currently writing season 5 with a clear end point (most likely 7 seasons) in mind. Tacking on an eighth season just because doesn't seem like it would work to me.

Precisely. I think they're planning to do AFFC and ADWD all next season, (heck some of it is happening in this season like meeting Tycho, Lady Waynwood, and Bronze Yohn, etc,) and possibly even a couple TWOW events as well. And yes I imagine, they'll be cutting some less than essential storylines and bits, which frankly I'm grateful for because a lot of it wasn't so gripping. (I mean how many different regimes do we need to see fail in KL anyway?!?)

7 Seasons sounds to me as if they are undoubtedly going to cut some fat, but that doesnt mean youll not get a prime cut of steak, though fat is an important component to any really good steak, the most important bit remains the protein rich beef.

This Season I think we will have the climax of SOS with a little FEAST/DANCE, The following Season 5 may have us in a severely reduced FEAST/DANCE & the beginning of TWOW, i'm guessing this will be the case with no defining climaxes between the FEAST/DANCE books, perhaps Jon-gate.

I do think that the show will reflect GRRMs initial plan however, with either of the two battles, Meereen or Snow, plus Jon-gate. I'd think Meereen would be the S5 finale to set-up Danys invasion for Season 6. This allows viewers to whet there appetite.

From Season 6 you have a full season of TWOW, assuming TWOW is SOS on steroids, then you'd also assume that it will spill onto S7, either that or else introduce an extended Season with 10+ episodes.

Brings us to the proposed Final 7th season, i'd wager it being an extended season split between two years much like the Sopranos, with TWOW still being told for most of it, before introducing ADOS story the year after to complete the series.

My theories about S5 lead me to believe we will have TWOW book before it airs/finishes.

This would also give GRRM an extra year to finish the last book, not likely to happen, yet possible, and allows him to finish the series on his book terms.

This is my assumed most logical way of panning out the rest of the series according to the restrictions based on a 7th season schedule. The Conclusion is that I don't think its as unfeasible or as terrible as first thought to do it in 7.

Another interview done during filming last year; the interviewer was there for filming of some Castle Black scenes for episode 4.

So what could have changed their mind , because i remember an interview not to long ago and it wasn't conducted last year where they still said season 7 is the end game .

Archived