How far will the ironborn get?

Daeny is in the Dothraki sea....

My theory is that she gains control of the Khalisars, makes a deal with Victarion, then brings the combined might to Westeros, in order to aid/meet Aegon.

She'd be the only person in Westeros with:

An army (Unsullied)

A Navy (Ironborne)

A Massive Calvary (Dothraki)

An Airforce (DRAGONS)

Not even counting a potential alliance between her and Aegon, giving her the Golden Company.... Or, if she can convince the HS that she is of the faith of the seven, the faith Militant as well.... Or even the Tyrells (who are probably quite tempted to betray the Lannisters at this point), and Dorne...

That size of a force would pretty handily mop the floor with every one in the south, and could probably take the entire North as well, if it wasn't Winter.

So my answer to the question of "How far will the Ironborn get?" is: Depends entirely on who their allies are. I don't believe they really pose much threat on their own, as they seem to mostly rely on Viking-type tactics, and really cannot handle a truly conventional warfare... This is also part of the reason I think they compliment the Dothraki so well, since the Dothraki (based on the Mongols) fight in a very similar style, albeit over land, instead of over the sea.

If the Ironborn can achieve dominance over the sea, i.e. beating the Redwyn fleet they'll get to the Narrow Sea. How pirates like Sallador Saan and Aurane Waters will react to them arriving might be interesting (if they get that far). One thing is for sure though: The Free Cities wouldn't appreciate a huge Ironborn fleet in the Narrow Sea.

I think you underestimate him by a long shot, then. Euron has been built up to be a force to be reckoned with. Just taking the puny Shields and then failing to take Oldtown would not be satisfactory considering the attention and foreboding GRRM has given him

I actually think Euron will make a bigger splash than Aegon, but that's just a hunch

Attention and foreboding? We only see him in two chapters. I think you overestimate him. The Shield Islands were puny while Oldtown is strong, and Aegon taking down one claimant to the IT and winning the Hightowers would advance the story. The problem with Euron making a bigger splash than Aegon is that Aegon will have more men the Euron, including Dorne, and he will the primary participant in the second Dance of Dragons.

Attention and foreboding? We only see him in two chapters. I think you overestimate him. The Shield Islands were puny while Oldtown is strong, and Aegon taking down one claimant to the IT and winning the Hightowers would advance the story. The problem with Euron making a bigger splash than Aegon is that Aegon will have more men the Euron, including Dorne, and he will the primary participant in the second Dance of Dragons.

The Shield Islands were puny, eh ? That must be why they'd deterred all raiders for the past 2000 years.

It will all depend of Garlan Tyrell and Leyton Hightower. If they play their part strongly and quickly, the Ironborns army can be destroyed in three month. Otherwise, they'll be still a threat but... Thought about an army of raider who just take the richest city of the realm... How many of them will stay in the army to find painful death in the Reach Battlefield ?

The fact that we've only seen a little of him actually supports my points. In ACOK he is never seen but his smiling eye is mentioned several times. All of Asha and Victarion and Aeron's chapters in AFFC and some in ADWD are filled with their dread for him. Not to mention he dabbles in sorcery and had the most epic scene in AFFC - a scene that promised the reader things to come. If Euron and Aegon do clash, it would be much more interesting for Euron to win.

I don't see how you can think he's going to die at Oldtown, leaving the story after fighting only the Tyrells and never making any real use of the Iron Fleet or dragons.

I think Euron might get to the Iron Throne, or get close enough to smell it with Dany as his bride and possibly a Dragon as his own because of the magic horn (assuming it works). If Dany realizes the Crow's eye is a bad dude (or doesn't like his use of blood magic because of her experience with Mirri maz Duur or warlock-ishness). If Dany realizes that Aegon, being real or fake, is set up and educated and ready to be a king, she would try to back him and we could have a Robb Stark-like spurning of Euron for Aegon (a targ more or less in the characters' eyes) and turning into a Dance with Dragons between Dany and Euron (assuming Euron gets a dragon). This could be a parallel to Dany totally playing the Astapori Slavers for fools and pwning them.

I think Euron might get to the Iron Throne, or get close enough to smell it with Dany as his bride and possibly a Dragon as his own because of the magic horn (assuming it works). If Dany realizes the Crow's eye is a bad dude (or doesn't like his use of blood magic because of her experience with Mirri maz Duur or warlock-ishness). If Dany realizes that Aegon, being real or fake, is set up and educated and ready to be a king, she would try to back him and we could have a Robb Stark-like spurning of Euron for Aegon (a targ more or less in the characters' eyes) and turning into a Dance with Dragons between Dany and Euron (assuming Euron gets a dragon). This could be a parallel to Dany totally playing the Astapori Slavers for fools and pwning them.

Not sure about the rest, but I also think (hope) that the next Dance of Dragons will be between Dany and Euron, not Huckleberry fAegon

Only Euron is nobody's fool. He's the player, not the one being played.

That's not to say Dany wouldn't try to attempt it, and it all depends on whether Euron successfully can control a dragon. If push comes to shove and Dany tries the trick again (she's had success in the past, so why not try it again), she still has 2 dragons to Euron's 1, and one of Dany's 2 is Drogon who we know to be twice significantly stronger and fiercer than the other two. The battle would make for story, but barring Jon turning Dany into Nyssa Nyssa, I don't see Euron besting Dany in this situation. Also, I don't see Dany against Aegon, I think her goal of being a wonderful beloved queen would make Aegon the most ideal husband (barring Drogo who's riding in the fiery night lands with her v-card) possible.

The fact that we've only seen a little of him actually supports my points. In ACOK he is never seen but his smiling eye is mentioned several times. All of Asha and Victarion and Aeron's chapters in AFFC and some in ADWD are filled with their dread for him. Not to mention he dabbles in sorcery and had the most epic scene in AFFC - a scene that promised the reader things to come. If Euron and Aegon do clash, it would be much more interesting for Euron to win.

I don't see how you can think he's going to die at Oldtown, leaving the story after fighting only the Tyrells and never making any real use of the Iron Fleet or dragons.

I don't think it does support your points.

Much more interesting for Aegon to win? Then where is the second Dance of Dragons GRRM has hinted at? Without Aegon there is no second Dance. Stannis has dabbled in some sorcery as well as Euron. Euron helps to drive a wedge between Tommen's government and the Reach lords. He gives Aegon an opportunity to draw bannermen away from the Tyrells, and become a more formidable opponent for Dany.

I can see him dying at Oldtown because I give try to keep an objective view when looking at the possible clues. The Iron Fleet is made of use, and used to ferry Dany to Westeros. How can Euron make use of the dragons when he no longer has the horn and it has been sabotaged by Moqorro?

That is highly unlikely IMO. I don't see any clues pointing him to reaching KL, an he would have to take a long journey and get past Redwyne's fleet. He also lacks the mnapower as the Tyrells have a larger army than Euron's at KL. There also can't be a Dance of Dragons between Dany and Euron because:

1) How can Euron get a dragon after he no longer has the dragonhorn and it has been sabotaged?

2)The Dance of Dragons was principally between a male and female claimant of Targaryen blood.

Archived