Dating 8 - group 'pizza', swaggering, internet dating, and more!

Larry of the Lawn

Another great evening, despite me being worn out as all hell from the cruise. She was pretty bummed out about some dinner plans falling through, so tomorrow I'm going to talk to her and invite her out to dinner.

It's been a long time since I felt this good about just plain spending time with a person. She's pretty much perfect. Smart, funny, cool, we share so many opinions it's almost scary and she's *really* attractive. Like, she seriously used to be a model, and recently she has modeled for corsets and she's also into burlesque.

I keep waiting to wake up.

Just been on a coffee date plus walk. We were originally to meet in Edinburgh, but she had things to do this weekend and asked if I was willing to come through to where she lived. This added 75 minutes onto the original hiur's commute time, but what the hell.

All told the coffee/walk lasted 4 hours so it was worth the commute. Had a good time, she's an eastern european post-grad student. We seemed to get on well, hopefully she's up for a second date. :)

Maybe so, but I'll bet you anything it's usually not because that guy is insecure and therefore thinks that anyone who likes him is unworthy. There are all sorts of reasons why people go for what's "unavailable" (in my case, for example, I tend to crush on unavailable guys because I am a massive commitment-phobe), don't go buying into PA's ideas about hierarchies.

Min, you don't need to go to school to observe life. No, not everyone is exactly the same, different people are in a different place on the instinct vs rationality spectrum, different people have different quirks about them, etc. Dating and relationships is once place where you should be honest and sincere about your faults and the faults of others... be realistic.

Mutual love/admiration is extremely rare in contemporary society because gender roles are so intermixed. Now more than ever one person loves and the other settles down. We're a society of climbers, even when it comes to relationships.

Thinking of you, Chats. :grouphug:

The boyfriend is coming down late tonight, he just got on a train after uni. Things have been fine the last few weeks - there was one day where I was a bit snappy, due to a complete lack of sleep and uni stress, but it was dealt with in a pretty good way. The way I want us to deal with silly situations like that.

We're going out for a meal tomorrow to celebrate me finishing my dissertation. The last time I saw him, I told him that I want him to start being a bit more attentive - just because I'm pretty laid-back, doesn't mean I don't want to be treated every now and then. While the dinner was still my idea, he said he's got me a couple of gifts (he does this every so often, but he also tells me, because I hate surprises), which is nice. It's not like I need him to buy me anything for him to show me how he feels, a little gesture is still nice, but this seems to be his way of doing it. :dunno:

How hard do you guys keep trying to get in touch with someone? I talk with her on FB but it's not like a flowing conversation or anything, so I called her yesterday with no answer. I'm going to call her again today and see if I can reach her, but I don't want to be too pushy and drive her away.

I need to get a hold of her to confirm and nail down date plans, so it's not like I'm cold-calling.

The problem is I don't know if she's hard to reach because that's just what she's like or because she doesn't want to talk. She did invite me out last time though so I figure that's a good sign. *sigh*

Do you know if she's a phone person? Have you tried messaging rather than ringing?

My calls answered/calls ignored ratio is about 1:5 at best (as in that's how often I'll answer calls from my best friend, everyone else gets way less)

Tomorrow I'm handing V over to my hair partner for grooming and he will meet my assistant and my horse. I am making sure to remind myself he's here for two months only, I can't keep him.

I am a female who is allergic to too much contact. Did you leave a message? If so, wait for a response. Did you bring up the plans on your fb conversation? If so when? When are your plans? If they're tomorrow, call again. If they're Friday or Saturday, chill out.

Her plans might be up in the air. If they are, she won't respond until they're nailed down. Not that you're unimportant, but if family, neighbors or close friends are planning something, she might not want to involve you in her personal calendar until she has some idea of what's going on. I wouldn't. It sounds like nonsense until everyone makes up their minds.

I will reiterate the disclaimer that I'm a terrible communicator with people I'm dating (so take this advice with a big pinch of salt). Even though I know this, it still feels like pressure to respond to an invite before I've sorted out my schedule.

Have you talked at all since your last date? That's more important.

Edit: Kay, enjoy. Sixty days of good fun is more than many people get in their whole lives from one person. At least he'll be prepped properly. I hope he delivers.

@brook: no, I don't know very much about her communication habits. I started out texting her, then she moved the conversation to FB. Other than that we've only spoken in person.

@Lily: I did not leave a message because the main reason I called instead of text/FB was so we could talk and I could get a straight answer.

The plans were brought up on FB and I was entirely unambiguous ("Do you want to go out to dinner Friday?"), her reply was more ambiguous, hence my desire to call her and confirm things.

There's been a bit of conversation since last time, but not much. :(

Ok, so Friday is at the end of the week. Wed is reasonable for plans to firm up. Put your suggestions out there and wait. WAIT MAN. People are busy during the week. Sometimes all I can do is a faceplant after work. In the morning, I make 4 or 5 phone calls before the coffee settles and I have to make half of them again the next day.

Edit: and if one of the calls is to a prospective date, that waits til lunch hour. I often don't get those.

Sounds like you may be pushing a bit hard, kungotte, as the easy to spook type, I'd probably be evasive if not gone entirely. Try to relax if you want to keep her around.

It's so weird though, aside from the initial contact after the first time we met, she has initiated each conversation. So it's not like she doesn't want to talk. I guess I have to keep letting her do that even though it drives me a little bit crazy.

I haven't been pushing hard at all, I don't think, but I guess that is very subjective. From now on I'll let her call the shots communication-wise and focus more on the times we actually meet in person. The thing is I'm cool with whatever, I'm Mr. Accommodating over here, I just need to know what "whatever" is first.

It's so weird though, aside from the initial contact after the first time we met, she has initiated each conversation. So it's not like she doesn't want to talk. I guess I have to keep letting her do that even though it drives me a little bit crazy.

I haven't been pushing hard at all, I don't think, but I guess that is very subjective. From now on I'll let her call the shots communication-wise and focus more on the times we actually meet in person. The thing is I'm cool with whatever, I'm Mr. Accommodating over here, I just need to know what "whatever" is first.

Perhaps she's intimidated by the fact that you're hung like a hockey puck.

Archived