[TWOW Spoilers] NEW Chapter Discussion - "Mercy"

TeamMartell

The other thing is, we know there were no further Cersei chapters in ADWD, so if this is meant to refer to Cersei being back in power, isn't that a huge spoiler within the book for something that hasn't happened yet?

Unless Swyft went straight to the docks after the small council meeting, he would still have been in town when Kevan was killed.

Like said before here in this thread, the plan of sending Cersei back to CR died with Kevan and the Arya Chapter here must take place after the trials then....I always imagined that Cersei would win her trial and that Margery will lose hers thanks to Varys plans and intrigues to inflame the Tyrell/Lannister feud.

A Braavosi courtesan Arta meets during Dance. Or possibly Feast. She is said to be descended from a Dragon Prince who took one of her ancestors as a lover

That dragon prince would be Aegon The Unworthy, the father of Daeron II, Daemon Blackfyre, Bloodraven and Bittersteel.

:crying: :bawl: :crying: :bawl: :crying: :bawl:

okay, I dont know where the stan fans are but if you are one (like me) did you by any chance think that might have been JUSTIN MASSEY at first, coming to meet with the Ib possibly?. i know that Dream didnt last long after we were told he was short, old and had that goatee thingy with the lion guards and what not. But Goddamn

Yes, yes! +1

At first I actually thought the envoy was

the guy Stannis sent to Braavos in the Theon sample chapter - Justin Massey,

so when the Lions got mentioned I was like WTF? But then it all fell back into place.

Wow. Loved it.

Bran is watching over Nymeria! Loved all the play stuff. And Arya is back?!

Some things I noticed:

Phario Forel had written it, and he had the bloodiest quill of all of Braavos.

Syrio lives? Haha, probably not but still should have people talking.

She caught his nose between her thumb and forefinger and twisted. “You’ll have no nose until you get your hands off me.”

“Owwwww,” the dwarf squealed, releasing her.

Here, I totally thought she was going to cut off his nose and the Westerosi would think he was Tyrion.

It seem to be in awfully bad taste to show a play starring the supposed murderer of the King raping someone.

Even if that passes for entertainment in Braavos, Westerosi nobles with connections to the Lannister family would not be amused by it.

Perhaps, it is because of he is supposed to be a murderer. The Imp, who the Queen Regent hates and has put out a reward for, is presented as totally evil, killing people and raping young girls - thus the queen is right to want him dead.

Arya is wearing Mercy's face, yes? I don't understand why everyone's commenting on her looks...

The chapter is very Arya, despite the training. She is a bright kid, but she still doesn't get stuff, doesn't connect the dots, no feeling for the metaphors (the play is just a play, for her) - something to be expected from a 12 year old. Learning the craft, but lacking the finesse. Liked this consistency in the character's development.

We dont necessarily know that she is "wearing" Mercy's face. The Kindly Man told her about mummer tricks, glamours and changing faces. As she is training WITH mummers, its entirely possible her "disguise" is a mummer trick.

On the Queen thing:

I've entertained the idea that Mace may name Margaery Queen Regent should she win her trial, just to spite Cersei and hammer the fact home that his daughter is innocent beyond any doubt whatsoever.

That could explain why a queen is mentioned. But from the reading it's very obvious that Cersei must be the queen in question ('having his head' is nothing Marge would do, or Lannister men would fear her doing). That could really be a glitch since they must also be aware of Cersei's walk by now, which could be a hint that Ser Harys was originally supposed to be going to Braavos before the queens were arrested...

The chapter in itself is great work, by the way. Really great stuff. Originally I thought the Faceless Men may be after Ser Harys himself, signed contract with Stannis and all. It would not surprise me if Mercy being there was a distraction the Faceless Men counted on, enabling them to murder Ser Harys. But that remains to be seen.

Possible answer to the timeline thing: News of Kevan's death - and indeed of just how far Cersei has actually fallen - hasn't reached Braavos yet. Harys Swyft probably still thinks Kevan is alive and backing Cersei, assuming he did indeed go straight to the docks from the council meeting - in which the decision, whether made by Kevan or not, may still have been officially been made in the name of Cersei as Queen Mother.

Also, *Kevan* might have had the authority to ship Cersei back to Casterly Rock even if she won her trial, and rule as Regent, with Mace as Hand, but Kevan is now dead, and Cersei might still have enough left in the tank to regain her power if her own senior relative isn't pulling rank on her.

Or Harys may even think that Cersei had Kevan assassinated... and believe she was right to do so because he was usurping the regency himself?

Yes. I suppose the key to this is how much information Ser Harys could reach Braavos by this point.

That dragon prince would be Aegon The Unworthy, the father of Daeron II, Daemon Blackfyre, Bloodraven and Bittersteel.

There is no evidence that it is Aegon IV, other than the fact he had many mistresses. It could just as easily have been Aerion Brightflame during his exile from Westeros.

Kevan's epilogue took place over a couple of hours, from the small council meeting (which Swyft was present at, and the idea of him going to Braavos was floated, though not decided, as I recall) to dining with Cersei and Tommen, to getting murdered by Varys. Unless Swyft went straight from the meeting to the docks and boarded a ship, there's no way he could have left before Kevan was killed.

Precisely...which makes me think that Cersei's at least still at the Red Keep even if she hasn't officially resumed the Regency.

Varys desperately needs Cersei to lose her trial. If Cersei wins her trial, King Tommen is recognized as the legitimate Baratheon heir, and the Tyrells (and other Houses) can safely continue to side with the Lannisters. But if Cersei loses her trial, then the Faith declares Tommen a bastard with no claim to the Iron Throne, and as the Faith obviously can't support Stannis, that means the Faith has no choice but to support Aegon. Varys killed Kevan to keep him from fixing Cersei's mistakes, not to put Cersei back in power to make more mistakes. With Mace Tyrell as Hand, Aegon's already facing an incompetent foe.

But Cersei won't lose her trial by combat thanks to UnGregor, and there's another way for Varys to sow as much chaos as possible; he simply ensures that Margaery's upcoming trial by jury results in her being found guilty...at which point all hell breaks loose and KL gutters run red with Tyrell forces at war with Lannister's and the Faith Militant.

Absolutely Awesome, can't even put all my thoughts together on the chapter to comment about it yet. Actually, one of my first thoughts was ''Shit, sucks we won't see this on the show'' but then I recalled one recap of the upcoming season premier that said something about there being a call back to Lommy, and it being clear who Polliver was being killed for. We know from George's blog post that D & D read this chapter, could perhaps anyone who has seen the episode confirm or deny that something like this plays out with Polliver? I mean, obviously the whole situation doesn't occur, but perhaps the ''You'll have to carry me'' thing is there in some form? (

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but anyone else thinking Arya's jumping ship on the FM and heading back to Westeros now? That's the impression I got. The kindly man didn't take too kindly to Arya Stark's last kill, and I doubt he's going to be much thrilled about this one. Seems like she isn't giving it much of a second thought.

We dont necessarily know that she is "wearing" Mercy's face. The Kindly Man told her about mummer tricks, glamours and changing faces. As she is training WITH mummers, its entirely possible her "disguise" is a mummer trick.

Didn't the Kindly Man say that her next face would be a pretty one, "much like" her own. I always took that to mean a different face. I don't think that we will see Arya's true face until after her training or escape.

Good chapter. I've found Arya's stuff boring lately, but this is interesting. You can see what type of character she would have grown into if the 5 year gap had stayed in place.

Desmond Grell and Robin Ryger must have reached Maidenpool and probably the Wall quite a while ago, if Raff met up with Swift and sailed all the way to Braavos.

Well played by GRRM having Arya play her ditsy sister. Also, Arya still hasn't become no-one. The wolf dreams and her desire for revenge still take a hold. I'm assuming Arya is wearing Mercy's face?

Cersei is likely in charge. If Marg was the queen they are talking about, wouldn't the Tyrells had replaced Harys Swift, a Lannister loyalist.

And, now we are left to wonder if the playwright Phario Forel is related to Syrio Forel. The names are too damn similar. Why tease us like this George??? Why???

Sounds like Arya might be in deep shit for her actions.

But Cersei won't lose her trial by combat thanks to UnGregor, and there's another way for Varys to sow as much chaos as possible; he simply ensures that Margaery's upcoming trial by jury results in her being found guilty...at which point all hell breaks loose and KL gutters run red with Tyrell forces at war with Lannister's and the Faith Militant.

love that its being stated as fact

It seem to be in awfully bad taste to show a play starring the supposed murderer of the King raping someone.

Even if that passes for entertainment in Braavos, Westerosi nobles with connections to the Lannister family would not be amused by it.

BRAAVOS. Dont. Give. A FOCK... they piss on Westerosi

Absolutely Awesome, can't even put all my thoughts together on the chapter to comment about it yet. Actually, one of my first thoughts was ''Shit, sucks we won't see this on the show'' but then I recalled one recap of the upcoming season premier that said something about there being a call back to Lommy, and it being clear who Polliver was being killed for. We know from George's blog post that D & D read this chapter, could perhaps anyone who has seen the episode confirm or deny that something like this plays out with Polliver? I mean, obviously the whole situation doesn't occur, but perhaps the ''You'll have to carry me'' thing is there in some form? (

The polliver scene is one of my favs in the books.

Archived