Liklihood of one of the Reach Lords making a deal with the Ironborn

unSonofStannis

But Asha and Willas is a different story. She wants peace, that was her pitch in the kingsmoot, and if Mace dies Willas seems to be smart enough to accept this.

And even if other bannermen betray the Tyrells I can see the Redwynes remaining with them, so a deal with Asha would make sense for both parties.

The ironborn are fairly resented by main landers and reviled as backward rapists and pillagers so I doubt it. Tarly is the only one I could see considering it but he's a Targaryen man

In any case the old way doesn't do alliances. ..unless your Balon and have realised you made a mistake

And yet they marry off their daughters to some of these rapists and pillagers....curious.

Is there many marriages between the two?

I'm not downing the ib before you get all protective but they do generally have a poor rep

If the Ironborn left peacefully, I could possibly see a trade agreement being made. But Euron is to stupid and crazy to leave, so it's not gonna happen.

problem. is he isn't stupid lannisport was his idea.

i think serveral houses (most off all the hightowers) will join Euron.

I could see the Reach Lords maybe reaching out to Eurons opponents, so they might make a deal, including a marriage, to get rid of Euron but probably not with him or his people, unless it was forced on one of them. One of the guys, who Euron gave the Sheild Islands to might marry one of the daghters or sisters of the Lords they killed or drove off to cement their own claim as an example.

Well, considering we have information of very, very few ironborn marriages at all (6 as far as I can find), one of these is Harras Harlaw's mother, who was a Serrett and another is Quellon's last wife. So, 2/6 is about 33%.

Tywin thought Theon or Balon would have been suitable to marry Cersei, so that seems to be pretty good indicator of it not being unthinkable.

I'm fairly certain those poor bastards who got the lordships are going to be left high and dry. Euron's gifts are poisoned, remember ?

Once Euron gets whatever he wanted from the Reach, I doubt he'll lift a finger to protect them. Remember, his goal is the Iron Throne, not the reach.

Yep, he's mad allright. He's also proved to be devilishly clever thus far. It remains to see how long his luck holds.

Tywin thought Theon or Balon would have been suitable to marry Cersei, so that seems to be pretty good indicator of it not being unthinkable.

Ooh, nice find.

All things considered, it seems that marriage to Ironborn is as well thought off if not more as marriage to northerners, by people in the south (particularly in the westerlands).

Though one has to say the material is rather sparse. Damnit GRRM, we need more Ironborn background!

I'm fairly certain those poor bastards who got the lordships are going to be left high and dry. Euron's gifts are poisoned, remember ?

Once Euron gets whatever he wanted from the Reach, I doubt he'll lift a finger to protect them. Remember, his goal is the Iron Throne, not the reach.

Yep, he's mad allright. He's also proved to be devilishly clever thus far. It remains to see how long his luck holds.

I don't know, the one guy, Ser Harlaw, he seemed to really distinguish himself, I could see him marrying a female Grimm, if he isnt married all ready, and maybe holding on to it. He would have to swear himself to Highgarden of course.

Ser Harras is the heir to House Harlaw. No way is he marrying down to a Grimm, a house without a seat. And he certainly isn't swearing fealty to Highgarden. That would be suicidal, not to mention stupid and beneath him.

What Harras could concievably do is to marry either a Tyrell or one of the other major Reach houses, thus strengthening himself and his uncle's claims if there should ever come a Kingsmoot once Euron and Vic are dead (which I hold to be quite likely).

Low to non-existent I should think. The Ironborn traditionally sail up the Mander to pillage widely throughout the Reach making them poor alliance material. There is zero trust, a huge amount of history and any Boltonesque characters in the Reach would also have the example of the Shield Islands in mind, a large number of its people sold into slavery.

Balon and Victarion stuck to the Old Way, repulsive as that was, and a way that made the Ironborn enemies to Westeros. The Targaryens didn't stamp out the Old Way, they merely put a lid on it as Balon's two rebellions under the Barratheons show. But even Victation disapproved of how the shield Islands were treated. Oh he was all for thralls but Euron went a step further and that isn't going to win him any friends. He knows that and its why hew wants Vic to bring him back dragons.

Any lord of the Reach who allied with Euron would be cutting his own throat.

Low to non-existent I should think. The Ironborn traditionally sail up the Mander to pillage widely throughout the Reach making them poor alliance material. There is zero trust, a huge amount of history and any Boltonesque characters in the Reach would also have the example of the Shield Islands in mind, a large number of its people sold into slavery.

Balon and Victarion stuck to the Old Way, repulsive as that was, and a way that made the Ironborn enemies to Westeros. The Targaryens didn't stamp out the Old Way, they merely put a lid on it as Balon's two rebellions under the Barratheons show. But even Victation disapproved of how the shield Islands were treated. Oh he was all for thralls but Euron went a step further and that isn't going to win him any friends. He knows that and its why hew wants Vic to bring him back dragons.

Any lord of the Reach who allied with Euron would be cutting his own throat.

:agree:

Even if Euron didn't kill him, other people from the Reach would-either his fellow lords or possibly even his own men. The only think that's gonna be more unpopular than IB invaders in the Reach right now, are collaborators and traitors.

Also, in aSoS Redwyne seems to be pushing for an alliance with the Ironborn

Redwyne was in favour of letting them cut off a piece of the North rather than fight them, since it was meaningless to him. Now that they've sacked and occupied his lands and sold his smallfolk into slavery, I rather doubt he's in a conciliatory mood.

Archived