NFL Offseason 2014: Buildup to the Draft

Jaime L

If memory serves their BS excuse was they couldn't get Radio City Music Hall for the normal dates. :rolleyes:

Gosh, if only New York had more than one venue in which to stage huge public spectacles... Fucking one-horse town.

I'm really starting to despise Goddell and the league. They're doing everything they can to oversaturate the NFL and it's really pissing me off. The latest below:

3 days is already too much. Extending it to 4 days, especially where the last day is rounds 6-7 is fucking stupid on every level.

How are the ratings for Day 3 of the draft? I consider myself a pretty huge NFL fan, and yet I don't find that watchable at all. Dragging it out an additional day would just add to that.

How are the ratings for Day 3 of the draft? I consider myself a pretty huge NFL fan, and yet I don't find that watchable at all. Dragging it out an additional day would just add to that.

I watch it only because I'm more of a CFB fan than anything, and it's fun seeing where guys go, especially guys from my alma mater. But 4 days is the worst idea i've ever heard. I think Cuban hit the nail on the head with his comments earlier.

If memory serves their BS excuse was they couldn't get Radio City Music Hall for the normal dates. :rolleyes:

I didn't think they were hiding their reasons. It's pretty obvious they delayed it so that could see how they would stack up during ratings week. If the ratings are good you can expect it later and longer next year. If just ok, or they take a beating they will move it back.

I didn't think they were hiding their reasons. It's pretty obvious they delayed it so that could see how they would stack up during ratings week. If the ratings are good you can expect it later and longer next year. If just ok, or they take a beating they will move it back.

Yeah the radio city music hall thing just gives them a way to save face and move it back if it doesn't work out.

Also in news that makes no sense whatsoever - the Seahawks have so far been amazing at drafting, right? By most accounts at least. Naturally they're strengthening that....by hiring Jeff Ireland for his drafting acumen.

Seriously.

Because when I think about Miami, I think about how great they have been at drafting.

Also in news that makes no sense whatsoever - the Seahawks have so far been amazing at drafting, right? By most accounts at least. Naturally they're strengthening that....by hiring Jeff Ireland for his drafting acumen.

Seriously.

Because when I think about Miami, I think about how great they have been at drafting.

Sometimes knowing what not to do is just as valuable as knowing what to do.

Seriously.

1st round pick on Colt Lyerla. Addresses that need for a playmaking tightend.

A cool article on FO about a QB's true sack rate. Yes, Peyton Manning's last season was kind of absurd.

And apparently Russell Wilson waits way too long in the pocket.

I feel like we discussed these very things a lot over the season, and that was the same conclusion everyone reached...

Earl Thomas signs a 4 year, 40m contract with 27.75m guaranteed. That's pretty good for the Seahawks; I would have thought he'd go for 11-12m.

Well, Thomas' influence might be worth 11-12m but the highest paid safety was Jairus Byrd and he was only making 9 mil a year with 26 mil guaranteed. Thomas was never going to make much more than that.

Still, good deal for both. He's the most important player for them so nice to have him locked up.

Earl Thomas signs a 4 year, 40m contract with 27.75m guaranteed. That's pretty good for the Seahawks; I would have thought he'd go for 11-12m.

Well, Thomas' influence might be worth 11-12m but the highest paid safety was Jairus Byrd and he was only making 9 mil a year with 26 mil guaranteed. Thomas was never going to make much more than that.

Still, good deal for both. He's the most important player for them so nice to have him locked up.

Yeah, I can't help but think that a lot of teams would be happy to have Thomas for 4 years, $40 mil. Still, that makes him the highest paid safety in the league, so it's hardly a hometown discount.

Between Chancellor (4 years, $28 million), Thomas (4 years, 40 million), and Sherman (expected to be something like 4 years, $52 million), they have a lot of money tied up in that secondary. Not to mention Maxwell, and other depth guys.

Between Chancellor (4 years, $28 million), Thomas (4 years, 40 million), and Sherman (expected to be something like 4 years, $52 million), they have a lot of money tied up in that secondary. Not to mention Maxwell, and other depth guys.

Well, guys like Maxwell and some of their depth will have to be let go because they won't be able to afford them as well. They'll just have to maintain their excellent drafting / FA to keep recycling players in the other spots. With the stars locked up, definitely see this as possible. It'll be interesting to see what their cap looks like when Wilson ultimately signs a contract.

Mock drafts projecting the Rams take HaHa Clinton-Dix from Alabama with the 13th pick in the draft. Man, I really hope not. Alabama's secondary was absolutely putrid last year, not to mention how poorly Alabama defensive players have fared in the NFL recently (again, inflated reputations from playing against horrible offenses week in and week out). Rams have to add a true #1 receiver.

A lot of the internet people seem to expect the Rams to trade down from #2 again, I would expect they can find a quality WR between 10-20, there are a number of them in this draft.

ETA: Random sad thought, when the Colts traded for Trent 2.8, I was hoping he'd be the next coming of The Edge, Edgerrin James. I was so wrong...

Archived