Tywin Replacing Kevan? [Book Spoilers]

Eberc

Lancel, at least, is already an established character, they'd just need to mature him up some.

In fact, if they are going to do takeover of Riverrun, they could have Lancel in charge of the Lannister army when Jaime arrives, have him hand over the command and go on to KL to take a council seat.

Eugene Simon has the greatest face when Being Fucked With as Lancel, and poor Lancel exists to Be Fucked With. I am in full support of any pretext to bring him back to the show.

If the Faith Militant ends up being a factor in the End Game, Lancel also totally needs to come back so he can be the Face Of The Sparrows for the TV audience.

Kevan's character is important because Varys kills him, by his own hand "for the realm".... To me --and maybe I read into it badly-- but it illistrates the contrast between him and littlefinger.

Jamie bails on Cersei to handle the seige of RiverRun, and they're already setting up Pycelle's spiral,and Qyburns rise

I think they could probably bring back both Kevan and Lancel for S5 to play important parts. After rejecting Cersei's offer, Kevan could go west to play the role of devan lannister being the warden of casterly rock. Better still, Lancel is named as Warden of Casterly Rock, or Commander of the Lannister forces in the riverlands, if they really wanted to develop this plotline it could be Cersei's pretext for getting him out of KL as he becomes too close to the High Septon, giving us a good introduction to the character of the High Septon who they will probably have to have that season. Rather than Lancel holding some pretty irrelevant (at least to the show) minor riverland lordship, he holds a much more important title, which is much easier to follow. As in the books Kevan goes to help Lancel manage things. Jaime runs into them at the Siege of Riverrun, where Kevan can play the roles that Genna Lannister and Devan play in terms of dialogue with Jaime, and that serves to further develop his character as well. Lancel is also there, praying most of the time rather than doing any commanding, and rather than have the scene between them at Darry like in the book, they can have that scene between them outside Riverrun.

They part with Jaime after the siege is done. Soon we see them again when news of Cersei's imprisonment reaches them, they head back to KL, Kevan makes a deal with the Tyrells and they continue there alliance ruling together. Meanwhile, Lancel decides to join the faith millitant.

If they do it this way, they can kill two birds in one stone, building up Kevan (and Lancel) and also eliminating the need to cast several characters without getting rid of any parts of the plot altogether

I haven't read the whole thread, but Cersei's whole arc would make no sense if Tywin is alive, because Tywin is part of the problem why she isn't free and has agency. So no, I don't see it. Tywin would never let her rule.

Mind you, I'm not 100% sure we'll get Kevan either, but if he's to be replaced it won't be Tywin.

That being said, I don't think that any of these are really good reasons to drop Kevan or to swap him for Pycelle. Pretty much Kevan's only role in the fourth and fifth books is standing up to and reigning in Cersei and the show has actually done a good job of capturing why Pycelle really isn't strong enough to do that on his own, especially after his stint in the black cells. They could choose to develop Pycelle more to make that Kevan's role consistent with the personality they've already established for him, or they could just bring back the actual Kevan character that they've already introduced in season 1 and 2.

The possibility of Pycelle replacing Kevan fills me with joy, because Cersei hates his guts and it would be very funny. Idk if it would work though.

I think they could probably bring back both Kevan and Lancel for S5 to play important parts. After rejecting Cersei's offer, Kevan could go west to play the role of devan lannister being the warden of casterly rock. Better still, Lancel is named as Warden of Casterly Rock, or Commander of the Lannister forces in the riverlands, if they really wanted to develop this plotline it could be Cersei's pretext for getting him out of KL as he becomes too close to the High Septon, giving us a good introduction to the character of the High Septon who they will probably have to have that season. Rather than Lancel holding some pretty irrelevant (at least to the show) minor riverland lordship, he holds a much more important title, which is much easier to follow. As in the books Kevan goes to help Lancel manage things. Jaime runs into them at the Siege of Riverrun, where Kevan can play the roles that Genna Lannister and Devan play in terms of dialogue with Jaime, and that serves to further develop his character as well. Lancel is also there, praying most of the time rather than doing any commanding, and rather than have the scene between them at Darry like in the book, they can have that scene between them outside Riverrun.

They part with Jaime after the siege is done. Soon we see them again when news of Cersei's imprisonment reaches them, they head back to KL, Kevan makes a deal with the Tyrells and they continue there alliance ruling together. Meanwhile, Lancel decides to join the faith millitant.

If they do it this way, they can kill two birds in one stone, building up Kevan (and Lancel) and also eliminating the need to cast several characters without getting rid of any parts of the plot altogether

Well thought-out! I see this working pretty well.

IMO Kevan's coming back (whether recast or not). Tywin's funeral would be an easy opportunity to do that, or even early S5. All they have to do is have one line like "hi Uncle" (not Nuncle, please), from Cersei, and I doubt the Unsullied would care.

I don't think that we will hear the story of Tysha. Tywin will kill Shae and Tyrion will kill him for revenge.

So everybody is dead and the viewers will be satisfied. Do you think that's too unrealistic?

(But I hope that Shae will reveal herself for the wh**e she really is)

We already heard the story of Tysha on the show way back in season 1's "Baelor." Tyrion plays a drinking game with Bronn and Shae and reveals that he was married once. He tells them the full story at that point.

I doubt that we'll be seeing Tywin killing Shae. They've already setup what they need to justify having her turn on Tyrion and testify against him in his trial. Between that and finding Shae in his father's bed, I can see that being enough to justify TV Tyrion killing both of them and then fleeing.

Tywin is definitely going to die this season. As for Kevan making an appearance in s5, his role could be given to a certain degree to Pycelle, and perhaps some to oaf Mace Tyrell. However if they need to reintroduce him, thats very easy as Kevan and Lancel come to Tywins funeral, and therefore can be easily established to the unsullied that this guy is Tywin's brother and is going hang around in KL for awhile.

The guy who plays Pycell spoiled Tywin's death in an interview- he said the way Charles Dance dies is funny.

Here

They really are going with dying on the shitter, it seems. :D

That interview was uploaded back in January 2013, several months before Season 4 began filming...do they get the scripts that early? Maybe he just read Tywin's death in the book. That said, I'm 99.9% sure they will kill off all the expected characters this season from Ygritte to Shae to Tywin. The show has never chickened out of killing off the characters...they actually go that one step further.

Honestly, I could see Kevan getting axed, but Tywin has to die because Cersei's whole arc wouldn't make sense, but then again they are whitewashing Cersei so maybe she will have a totally different story from AFfC.

That interview was uploaded back in January 2013, several months before Season 4 began filming...do they get the scripts that early? Maybe he just read Tywin's death in the book. That said, I'm 99.9% sure they will kill off all the expected characters this season from Ygritte to Shae to Tywin. The show has never chickened out of killing off the characters...they actually go that one step further.

Barra's mother seems to be the only character dead in the books that ended up surviving her expiration date on the show. And she was a very minor character, although it was a memorable scene.

Archived