Small questions v.10079

Angalin

Any talking with Mance is from aDwD final Theon chapter.

As I remember he taks with Asha and recalls Jeyne being questioned by Whoresbane Umber. I dont remember a mention of Mance, or him indicating that he told Asha about Bran and Rickon

Any talking with Mance is from aDwD final Theon chapter.

As I remember he taks with Asha and recalls Jeyne being questioned by Whoresbane Umber. I dont remember a mention of Mance, or him indicating that he told Asha about Bran and Rickon

That's what I was thinking, the washerwomen overhear him talking to the Gods, I just wonder how much they heard.

In addition to Wex and the Liddle there is also Asha, whom Theon told everything to when he was brought before her, conceivably anyone close by would have overheard and likely not believed. The Glover who was in White Harbor knows, and probably Wymans heir. Bloodraven, coldhands, and Varamyr could also conceivably by counted.

There is also Wyman's oldest granddaughter, Wynafryd. She knows that her grandfather has been putting a show for the Freys, but I don't know if she's aware of the Bran and Rickon's survival. She might be.

That's what I was thinking, the washerwomen overhear him talking to the Gods, I just wonder how much they heard.

The spearwives definitely know who he is, but I don't think they know he faked the deaths.

For what is worth, here's Theon recollection of his conversation with Asha:

He told her how he'd saved the girl, leaping from the castle wall into the snow. "We flew. Let Abel make a song of that, we flew." Then he had to say who Abel was, and talk about the washerwomen who weren't truly washerwomen. By then Theon knew how strange and incoherent all this sounded, yet somehow the words would not stop. He was cold and sick and tired... and weak, so weak, so very weak.

She has to understand. She is my sister. He never wanted to do any harm to Bran or Rickon. Reek made him kill those boys, not him Reek but the other one. "I am no kinslayer," he insisted. He told her how he bedded down with Ramsay's bitches, warned her that Winterfell was full of ghosts. "The swords were gone. Four, I think, or five. I don't recall. The stone kings are angry." He was shaking by then, trembling like an autumn leaf. "The heart tree knew my name. The old gods. Theon, I heard them whisper. There was no wind but the leaves were moving. Theon, they said. My name is Theon." It was good to say the name. The more he said it, the less like he was to forget. "You have to know your name," he'd told his sister. "You... you told me you were Esgred, but that was a lie. Your name is Asha."

The spearwives definitely know who he is, but I don't think they know he faked the deaths.

For what is worth, here's Theon recollection of his conversation with Asha:

Thanks. That does kind of make it sound like he talked with the spearwives more than we are aware of yet though. Even if they didn't hear him talking to the gods.

Thanks. That does kind of make it sound like he talked with the spearwives more than we are aware of yet though. Even if they didn't hear him talking to the gods.

Well, the spearwives did bring him to Mance, and made him talk with Mance, and would thus have also talked with Theon themselves. What Theon tells us about these conversations is a sentence or two, but there must have been more.

I doubt Theon told the spearwives about Bran and Rickon though. If he had, they wouldn't still act to him the way he did, I think. Their behaviour towards Theon comes from the fact that they believed he killed him foster brothers.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Hope my question ist well placed in this topic. But it doesn't seem difficult enough to open a new thread for it.

I just asked myself: where did Illyrio get the dragon eggs from, which he gave to Dany? Is it mentioned anywhere? I could not find an answer in the forums and also can't remember anything said about the egg's origin in the books...

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Hope my question ist well placed in this topic. But it doesn't seem difficult enough to open a new thread for it.

I just asked myself: where did Illyrio get the dragon eggs from, which he gave to Dany? Is it mentioned anywhere? I could not find an answer in the forums and also can't remember anything said about the egg's origin in the books...

Welcome to the forum :cheers: . May you enjoy it.

As to your question - I don't think we're told how Illyrio acquired dragon eggs. There're probably a number of speculation, though.

Hey guys,

Welcome!

Illyrio himself claims the eggs came from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai, and are several eons old, once living, but now turned to stone.

Hey guys,

That's what the Cheesemonger says about the eggs himself:

“Dragon’s eggs, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai,” said Magister Illyrio. “The eons have turned them to stone, yet still they burn bright with beauty.”

However, it is possible that he is just being dramatic and the eggs have a much closer origin. During the Dance of Dragons, there was a Targaryen princess by the name of Rhaena of Pentos (named so because she was born there). She was evacuated to the Vale of Arryn, and given 3 dragon eggs (for safekeeping presumably). So far we have no idea what happened with her and her eggs.

Welcome to the forum :cheers: . May you enjoy it.

As to your question - I don't think we're told how Illyrio acquired dragon eggs. There're probably a number of speculation, though.

Thanks :) Do you have any links for the speculations? I couldn't find anything. Thought about the theory, that there were dragon eggs in the crypts of WF. They could've benn stolen from there and made their way to Illyrio. But it's not more than a thought. Some links would be great :)

Hey guys,

"Dragon's eggs, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai," said Magister Illyrio. "The eons have turned them to stone, yet still they burn bright with beauty."

"I shall treasure them always." Dany had heard tales of such eggs, but she had never seen one, nor thought to see one. It was a truly magnificent gift, though she knew that Illyrio could afford to be lavish. He had collected a fortune in horses and slaves for his part in selling her to Khal Drogo.

Magister Illyrio was a dealer in spices, gemstones, dragonbone, and other, less savory things. He had friends in all of the Nine Free Cities, it was said, and even beyond, in Vaes Dothrak and the fabled lands beside the JadeSea.

"Dragon's eggs, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai," said Magister Illyrio. "The eons have turned them to stone, yet still they burn bright with beauty."

"I shall treasure them always." Dany had heard tales of such eggs, but she had never seen one, nor thought to see one. It was a truly magnificent gift, though she knew that Illyrio could afford to be lavish. He had collected a fortune in horses and slaves for his part in selling her to Khal Drogo.

Magister Illyrio was a dealer in spices, gemstones, dragonbone, and other, less savory things. He had friends in all of the Nine Free Cities, it was said, and even beyond, in Vaes Dothrak and the fabled lands beside the JadeSea.

no links needed...those quotes are enough. just the answers i was searching for. you guys are great, love this forum!

Bump...

There's wild men down from the Mountains of the Moon, try telling them you take no part. Arya II, Clash

Arya heard this some distance north of Kings Landing. I find it hard to believe that Tyrion allowed his clansmen to pillage on his way to Kings Landing. Should we assume then, that clansmen not traveling with Tyrion had come down from the Mountains of the Moon to raid in the war-torn Riverlands?

Thanks :) Do you have any links for the speculations? I couldn't find anything. Thought about the theory, that there were dragon eggs in the crypts of WF. They could've benn stolen from there and made their way to Illyrio. But it's not more than a thought. Some links would be great :)

The theory that there might be a dragon egg in the crypts of Winterfell, specifically in Lyanna's tomb, comes from the idea that Rhaegar might have given Lyanna something to prove that she was married to him (this in a somewhat more complicated version of R+L=J). The idea's of what might be hidden in her tomb (and thus why Jon at several times dreams he needs to go find somethingn in the crypts, even though he yells that he's no Stark) vary from a dragon's egg, to a wedding cloak (a Targaryen cloak that would be), to Rhaegar's harp.

If there is anything at all hidden in Lyanna's tomb, that would be because Ned put it there when bringing her home. In such a case, I doubt that they were stolen from there, since 1), someone would need to know Ned's secret, and it doesn't seem like anyone does, and 2), it wouldn't be noticed by Ned that Lyanna's tomb had been broken open, and seeing as how Dany receives the eggs before Ned and Robert visit Lyanna's tomb, I guess something that major would be noticed by the two men. Also, Ned goes down to the crypts more often, so he would have seen.

Bump...

I think it's just listing of people who are fighting in the Riverlands, because that's what's going on there. And even Tyrion would have outriders of sorts, consisting out of clansmen. Once out of his sight, some clansmen might decide to take food or drink from the people they encounter. Perhaps that was what was meant?

The theory that there might be a dragon egg in the crypts of Winterfell, specifically in Lyanna's tomb, comes from the idea that Rhaegar might have given Lyanna something to prove that she was married to him (this in a somewhat more complicated version of R+L=J). The idea's of what might be hidden in her tomb (and thus why Jon at several times dreams he needs to go find somethingn in the crypts, even though he yells that he's no Stark) vary from a dragon's egg, to a wedding cloak (a Targaryen cloak that would be), to Rhaegar's harp.

If there is anything at all hidden in Lyanna's tomb, that would be because Ned put it there when bringing her home. In such a case, I doubt that they were stolen from there, since 1), someone would need to know Ned's secret, and it doesn't seem like anyone does, and 2), it wouldn't be noticed by Ned that Lyanna's tomb had been broken open, and seeing as how Dany receives the eggs before Ned and Robert visit Lyanna's tomb, I guess something that major would be noticed by the two men. Also, Ned goes down to the crypts more often, so he would have seen.

I figure that at a minimum what's in Lyanna's tomb is the documentation, signed and sealed and witnessed by at least three Kingsguard and a Septon, that Lyanna and Rhaegar were legally married and her child is Rhaegar's heir. Of course there might also be something cooler like an egg, cloak, or harp, but none of those things would be legal proof of Jon's birth and/or legitimacy. Documentation, on the other hand, would be less dramatic but carry more legal weight.

Do we know how or when Maelor Targaryen died as it has to be before his father for Aegon the III to inherit

We don't know exactly how or when he died but it appears that he died sometime during the Dance.

“Queen Helaena had been murdered, the whispers went, as her sons had been before her.”

Due to safety issues, I am now using google chrome. However, when I use the wiki, I get the family trees all scrambles up, where the first or last row of family members no longer appear as a block, but as a single line, with the words in through it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Do we know how or when Maelor Targaryen died as it has to be before his father for Aegon the III to inherit

We don't know exactly, but there is a hint in The Princess and the Queen. When Queen Helaena kills herself the text states that the small folk from King's Landing believe she was murdered, as her sons had been before her. This suggests that Maelor dies before Helaena does.

The exact circumstances of Maelor's death, however, are not yet known. Possibly more about this will be in the World Book, to be released in october this year.

Archived