Small questions v.10079

Angalin

House Hightower is known benefactor of the Citadel, so I assume a lot of their funding comes from them. I wouldn't be surprised if some other great Houses occasionally donated to them, too.

Acolytes and Novices also do things for money - Sam sees several of them selling maps, or acting as scribes for the people. Having the monopoly on such skills surely makes for easy income. I guess most book replicas come from the Citadel too.

(Also: Tenet Opera Rotas :) )

I supposed House Hightower had a part in funding the Citadel, but come on: if they are responsible for most of the Citadel resources, then they're essentially providing free maesters to every other house in Westeros. I refuse to believe in such philanthropy!

Selling stuff and providing paid services could be answer, but they're mentioned nowhere else.

(Sator square!)

Is it likely that the village of white stone houses near the Inn of the Corssroads is built from the stones of Whitewalls? Just a little tidbit I noticed

Now we just have to find a well with a skeleton in the bottom. :D

Is it likely that the village of white stone houses near the Inn of the Corssroads is built from the stones of Whitewalls? Just a little tidbit I noticed

Are you referring to Lord Harroway's Town? If so, it seems that the town existed before Whitewalls was torn down.

Hm, this is an interesting question -- I guess I figured that in addition to providing their personal Maesters with room, board, and supplies and so on, all the Lords who have a Maester have to tithe to support the Citadel as well, probably on a yearly basis as long as they have a Maester on staff. That would make sense; the Maesters are their doctors, historians, scribes/secretaries, communications hub...you name it. The Lords had better cough up for the Citadel.

I got a dragon says Vic wasn't payin for Kerwin.

Are you referring to Lord Harroway's Town? If so, it seems that the town existed before Whitewalls was torn down.

Nono, just a small town/village near the Inn of the Crossroads. Catelyn mentions it before THAT incident there. I believe its later burned when the Lannisters occupy the Inn and Tyrion arrives from the Mountains of the Moon. Its never mentioned by name

I got a dragon says Vic wasn't payin for Kerwin.

It might not be the individual who gets billed, but just the head of the house, which Vic is not.

This does raise the interesting question, however, of what the Citadel would do about a Lord who murdered his maester and couldn't provide truly excellent justifications. I feel like the least the Citadel could do in such a case would be to refuse to assign a maester to that House until the offense was paid for, and handsomely. Now, Vic probably doesn't care, both because I bet (again) it's the House that will have to make restitution and not him personally (maybe...), but also because he's convinced he's going to claim Dany for marriage and rule the world with her and no one will be able to deny him anything he wants. He's deluded, but that's what he thinks.

These are very unsettled and strange times for Westeros, though. Under more normal circumstances I couldn't see the Citadel sitting quietly when Lords murder maesters casually; the Citadel couldn't survive and no one would want to study to be a maester. Right now maester seems to be a pretty desirable position for intelligent men without an inheritance (Randyll Tarly and Barbrey Dustin notwithstanding) and that wouldn't be the case if the Citadel didn't take care of its own in some way.

It might not be the individual who gets billed, but just the head of the house, which Vic is not.

This does raise the interesting question, however, of what the Citadel would do about a Lord who murdered his maester and couldn't provide truly excellent justifications. I feel like the least the Citadel could do in such a case would be to refuse to assign a maester to that House until the offense was paid for, and handsomely. Now, Vic probably doesn't care, both because I bet (again) it's the House that will have to make restitution and not him personally (maybe...), but also because he's convinced he's going to claim Dany for marriage and rule the world with her and no one will be able to deny him anything he wants. He's deluded, but that's what he thinks.

I don't see any ironman paying the Citadel anything so soon!

Nono, just a small town/village near the Inn of the Crossroads. Catelyn mentions it before THAT incident there. I believe its later burned when the Lannisters occupy the Inn and Tyrion arrives from the Mountains of the Moon. Its never mentioned by name

I think it is the same place. It is mentioned by name in one of Brienne's chapters in Feast as well as Arya's in Storm.

“All that remained of Harroway town was the upper story of a daub-and-wattle inn, the seven-sided dome of a sunken sept, two-thirds of a stone roundtower, some moldy thatch roofs, and a forest of chimneys.”

If the Valyrian word for man is "Valar," does the name Valarr (Prince Valarr Targaryen) mean anything?

bumping this in case someone knows :P

Anyway, I doubt it does. Maybe GRRM thought it was cool. Don't get fooled by the one letter difference. In many languages, only one letter is a lot. For instance, Spanish: "lave" means to wash, while "llave" is key.

bumping this in case someone knows :P

Anyway, I doubt it does. Maybe GRRM thought it was cool. Don't get fooled by the one letter difference. In many languages, only one letter is a lot. For instance, Spanish: "lave" means to wash, while "llave" is key.

But in English that second r at the end just looks silly.

Tytos was a man who loved to please others, and would have been easy to influence. Lord Walder seems to have taken advantage of this, marrying off his son to a lion.

As to when Genna and Emmon were engaged:

Genna was born in either 245AC or 246AC, Emmon was born in 239AC, Genna and Emmon were betrothed in 253AC

Explanation:

Genna Lannister was 7 years old when she was betrothed to Emmon Frey, who was 14 at the time. Emmon is 60 years old in 300 AC. For Emmon, this gives the following possibilities:

· Being 59 turning 60 in 300 AC, placing his birth in 240 AC

o This means Emmon was 14 years old in 254 AC (when he turned 14) and 255 AC (when he was 14 turning 15)

· Being 60 turning 61 in 300 AC, placing his birth in 239 AC

o This means Emmon was 14 years old during 253 AC (when he turned 14) and 254 AC (when he was 14 turning 15)

Emmon thus could have been 14 in three different years: 253 AC, 254 AC and 255 AC. For Genna, this creates the following options:

· She was 7 when Emmon was 14 in 253 AC

o 6 turning 7 in 253 AC, placing her birth in 246 AC

o 7 turning 8 in 253 AC, placing her birth in 245 AC

· She was 7 when Emmon was 14 in 254 AC

o 6 turning 7 in 254 AC, placing her birth in 247 AC

o 7 turning 8 in 254 AC, placing her birth in 246 AC

· She was 7 when Emmon was 14 in 255 AC

o 6 turning 7 in 255 AC, placing her birth in 248 AC

o 7 turning 8 in 255 AC, placing her birth in 247 AC

This leaves the options of being born in 245 AC, 246 AC, 247 AC and 248 AC for Genna.

During these same events, Genna’s brother Tywin was 10 years old. Tywin was born in 242 AC. Being born in 242 AC leaves the following options for Tywin being 10:

· 9 turning 10 in 252 AC

· 10 turning 11 in 253 AC

This shows that the only moment when Tywin was 10 while Genna was 7 and Emmon 14, happened in 253 AC. Therefore, Genna was 7 years old in 253 AC, showing she was either 6 turning 7, placing her birth in 246 AC, or 7 turning 8, placing her birth in 245 AC.

Emmon Frey was 14 years old when Genna Lannister was 7 and Tywin Lannister was 10. This occurred in 253 AC. With Emmon being 14 years old in 253 AC, this leaves the following options:

· Being 13 turning 14 in 253 AC, placing his birth in 239 AC

· Being 14 turning 15 in 253 AC, placing his birth in 238 AC

In the year 300, Emmon is 60 years old. This leaves the following options:

· Being 59 turning 60 in 300 AC, placing his birth in 240 AC

· Being 60 turning 61 in 300 AC, placing his birth in 239 AC

The only overlapping year is 239 AC. This shows that Emmon was born in 239 AC, and that he will be turning 61 in 300 AC. It also shows that Emmon had turned 14 the year he was betrothed to Genna Lannister.

Just to make sure before I read it: is this an actual spoiler or just spoiler-tagged for length?

Just to make sure before I read it: is this an actual spoiler or just spoiler-tagged for length?

Just spoiler-tagged for length. You can go ahead without fear, just be prepared to face a terrible fact...

You know nothing.

Archived