Small questions v.10079

Angalin

Just spoiler-tagged for length. You can go ahead without fear, just be prepared to face a terrible fact...

You know nothing.

Now now, be nice. Its like comparing an infant to an encyclopedia comparig ANY ofbus to that knowledge ;) :p

Maybe Baelor was drunk and slurring words. It happened to a friend. Her mother wanted to caller her Maria Pilar del Sol and her drunk father registered her as "Sol María".

Or maybe GRRM didn't want people pronouncing it like Valor.

Are there any clues/theories as to what is meant by "puppeteers" when Qyburn brings them up? I can't tell if this is one of the more straight-forward descriptions or I missed something yet again...Thanks:)

Yeah, they were literal puppeteers that Cersei wanted dead because they were doing a "treasonous" puppet show in an earlier chapter.

And no, it's not that obvious - I had completely forgotten about it and wondered about this too just today. Later I found the answer with a search through the book

Are there any clues/theories as to what is meant by "puppeteers" when Qyburn brings them up? I can't tell if this is one of the more straight-forward descriptions or I missed something yet again...Thanks:)

“One more thing. A trifling matter.” He gave her an apologetic smile and told her of a puppet show that had recently become popular amongst the city’s smallfolk; a puppet show wherein the kingdom of the beasts was ruled by a pride of haughty lions. “The puppet lions grow greedy and arrogant as this treasonous tale proceeds, until they begin to devour their own subjects. When the noble stag makes objection, the lions devour him as well, and roar that it is their right as the mightiest of beasts.”

“And is that the end of it?” Cersei asked, amused. Looked at in the right light, it could be seen as a salutary lesson.

“No, Your Grace. At the end a dragon hatches from an egg and devours all of the lions.”

The ending took the puppet show from simple insolence to treason. “Witless fools. Only cretins would hazard their heads upon a wooden dragon.” She considered a moment. “Send some of your whisperers to these shows and make note of who attends. If any of them should be men of note, I would know their names.”

“What will be done with them, if I may be so bold?”

“Any men of substance shall be fined. Half their worth should be sufficient to teach them a sharp lesson and refill our coffers, without quite ruining them. Those too poor to pay can lose an eye, for watching treason. For the puppeteers, the axe.”

“There are four. Perhaps Your Grace might allow me two of them for mine own purposes. A woman would be especially...”

The problem w/ LF having any part of the start of Robert's R, is that 1) He was from a poor house. 2) he was 14 or so when it happened. 3) he was half way to being cut in two, and healing from it. 4) Why would Brandon Stark of all people even listen to him.

Thanks Rhaenys for the Genna Lannister question, I don't have to say that your timeline work is stunning.

Another question. Was the "Mance's son, Craster's grandson" discrepancy from AFFC addressed by Martin? Was it just a mistake? Or maybe some board conclusion on it?

Thanks Rhaenys for the Genna Lannister question, I don't have to say that your timeline work is stunning.

Another question. Was the "Mance's son, Craster's grandson" discrepancy from AFFC addressed by Martin? Was it just a mistake? Or maybe some board conclusion on it?

Thank you!

My own conclusion on it the Mance/Craster thing:

The child is Mance's son by blood. He's Crasters grandson due to he fact that he will be raised by Gilly, Crasters daughter. So by blood he'll be the son of Mance, by way of upbringing the boy will be the grandson of Craster. So the babe will have the good of both situations (Mance's strength and Gilly's way of life).

Is there a possibility of the WoIaF app going to Windows Phone? I don't have either of the systems it's currently offered on.

For as far as I know nothing on that in known yet, but I believe they wanted to make the app available everywhere (where there is internet:p). First, I think, they'll work on making the app available on android everywhere, since android, IIRC is currently only working in the US.

You can always email the publisher with the question. They'll know better. :)

I never paid much attention to the World of Ice and Fire thing, but from what I saw in these forums it was/will be a book written by Elio and Linda. I though it a different thing from the famous App. Are they the same thing? And by the way, what about the sub-forum? I always see threads about the same things that in the General one, is it supposed to be appart because it's discussed info only available on the app?

Please enlighten me, because I have no idea :P

The World of Ice and Fire Book is indeed written by Elio and Linda, with some contributions by GRRM himself. It will provide a sort of history and extra information of the Seven Kingdoms/Targaryen Rule, in the style of a Maester who is supposedly presenting this book to Robert after his coronation(i think i got that bit right). It is different to the App, and also different from the distant (and tentatively named) "Fire and Blood" which if it is ever written will give much greater detail of the backstory of the World.

As for the sub-forum, someone else will need to answer as I dont know.

ETA: scheduled release date of the World of Ice and Fire is late this year. Sometime in October iirc

snip

Thank you, Helena! It seems I wasn't that lost :laugh:

I went and checked the sub-forum, and apparently people are constantly posting off-topic (it got a pinned warning), so that's why I was always seeing the same threads. The approved threads are all about suggestions and requests about more info for the book.

Thank you!

My own conclusion on it the Mance/Craster thing:

The child is Mance's son by blood. He's Crasters grandson due to he fact that he will be raised by Gilly, Crasters daughter. So by blood he'll be the son of Mance, by way of upbringing the boy will be the grandson of Craster. So the babe will have the good of both situations (Mance's strength and Gilly's way of life).

Yeah, that is a satisfying interpretation. Still something strikes me as odd though. They were discussing his name that should be Aemon Battleborn, Aemon Steelsong. And Sam says it's fitting, because he's Mance's son and Craster's grandson. Mance's son fits in the context- the King beyond the wall, a fierce warrior, strong man, etc. But Craster is only an object of despise, an incestous coward.

He could say that he is Mance's son and Gilly's son, keeping the sense of nature and nurture, and think something along the lines that Gilly is so strong and brave, just like her biological father.

I don't know if I made myself clear. Maybe I should look for a thread, but if someone wants to drop their cents here it would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Helena! It seems I wasn't that lost :laugh:

I went and checked the sub-forum, and apparently people are constantly posting off-topic (it got a pinned warning), so that's why I was always seeing the same threads. The approved threads are all about suggestions and requests about more info for the book.

Lots of off topic threads there, but much info about he World Book is hidden in the thread "When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2". We asked all sorts of questions there, and Ran answered a lot of them.

I'm trying to look into which one of the Brandon Starks could be the Night's King...I have a few ideas, some better than others but am struggling to find a timeline or references to when certain Starks lived. Any ideas or direction on this or theories on the Night's King would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is Brandon the Shipwright the only King of Winter not in Winterfell's crypts?

Archived