[TV/Book Spoilers] PTV Unsullied Thread Part 8

Independent George

This is a little thing, but you don't know how much this bothers me:

The Unsullied character guide still says this:

SAY KING TOMMEN DAMMIT

Thankfully his coronation is tomorrow so it'll be official.

That's changed now. I'm the one in charge of that list, and I didn't want to write him as king until after the coronation. I should have changed the "currently the king on the Iron Throne" part though. Anyway, it's updated :P

ETA: quick question: does the woman always take the man's name when they marry? That was my initial thought, but then Lysa would now be Lysa Baelish, which is confusing considering she's still the Lady of the Vale.

Also, this made me laugh:

Apparently Littlefinger does actually have sex, what an entirely horrible thought.

I love this comparison for LF:

He's like Rolf, the "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" messenger boy. ("Your life, little girl, is an empty page/that men will want to write on...") Everything but the liederhosen.

Bottom line is that Stannis needs to offer the Iron bank something big, if he wants to get his loan. And here is my prediction. It's a big one, but I think it's rather neat and ties into the Dany story. With Dany disrupting the slave trade all over the place, there's a big demand for new slaves. Stannis will offer to sell the population of King's Landing into slavery in return for their help to seize the Iron throne. That's probably a good enough offer for the Iron bank to jump at. And also, it will finally give Dany a reason to go to Westeros. See, her whole thing in the east about 'freeing slaves' just doesn't have much appeal in Westeros since there are no slaves in the first place. But if there are slaves in Westeros, then she can finally get off her butt and do something about it. Dany is practically the only ruler to understand there is more to ruling than having a claim and some army. Rescuing slaves in Westeros will fit into her story arc very nicely.

Stannis is now a slaver! :drunk:

its incredible as book readers how you see people thinking stannis is a villain as surprising considering how he acts until he comes and smashes the wildlings.

Its not till then when he rallies the north where he really becomes what you can call a good guy.

The whole first 3 books he sulks and grinds his teeth, kills his brother, sacrifices his own men to some random God because some random sexy bitch told him too. Attempts to sacrifice his nephew.

Davos is the only thing that truly keeps him grounded, without him he woulda been a full blown bad guy.

I think their portrayal of stannis is accurate considering how misunderstood he is, due to his personality.

He grows on you, he's the rightful heir to the throne and no one cared beside ned stark. But he is certainly unlikable without his blunt unpurposeful wittiness

Their portrayal of him is pretty shite. He's very one dimensional so far. If you ask your average viewer what they think of him, they will probably say "grumpy guy who stands around doing nothing, with the hot witch lady." I could explain further but I'm sure someone else can do it better. I'm not a huge Stannis fan, but I did like the character. And I liked him/found him interesting BEFORE he showed up at the wall, before the show defenders even start...

Stannis is now a slaver! :drunk:

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Still not enough.

I suppose if we needed confirmation that the show is making Stannis appear to be a villain, that thread is proof.

Seriously, I thought WTH when I read that post. Stannis a slaver!?!?

Oh the show apologists will deny that Stannis has been blackwashed at all.

I would think it's more that we just don't care. Most of us aren't obsessed by a single character. His character on the show is his character on the show.

A couple of excerpts from a non-reader review of "First of His Name"(http://www.chud.com/151561/thud-game-of-thrones-first-of-his-name/):

"But Cersei’s best scene is with Oberyn, who has rapidly leap-frogged the ranks to become one of my favorite characters, and whose outsider status brings a new energy to the scenes in King’s Landing."

"But in the meantime, if the scene with Tywin and the preseason trailers are to be believed, we have another fist-pumper to look forward to in an Oberyn vs the Mountain showdown, which seems ancillary enough to the main plot that the Bad Guy can lose without disrupting the show’s MO."

Hehe.

I agree with other posters who said that the speculation has become a bit confused and unfocused since they got several threads, but I think it's just a temporary thing while they get used to it. The insight is clearly still there, especially when it comes to character analysis. I'm currently really enjoying their discussion about Cersei and their comparison to Catelyn. Really good stuff.

Somewhere some Unsullied were raving about ther favorite ships including this gem:

"Now that Renly is dead I ship Loras/being beautiful" :wideeyed: :owned:

I was like "Damn, GRRM is a genius", and "Yeah, good luck with that".

More on topic, yeah, it seems many of the online Unsullied were sufficiently blown away by the Jon Arryn reveal. I was happily surprised by that too. Well, there was one poster who didn't understand a thing, couldn't remember who Jon Arryn was (or Catelyn Stark :bang: ), but otherwise very smooth.

"But in the meantime, if the scene with Tywin and the preseason trailers are to be believed, we have another fist-pumper to look forward to in an Oberyn vs the Mountain showdown, which seems ancillary enough to the main plot that the Bad Guy can lose without disrupting the show’s MO."

Hehe.

Well it's still true. I know for sure everyone is going to be fistpumping with the "Like This".

I love that the Unsullied think Varys was only using Illyrio for information. They are going to be shocked when we meet Illyrion again and when Varys kills Pycelle and Kevan.

Varys was merely using Illyrio for information. After their conversation Littlefinger approaches him on the way to the small council meeting and taunts him, revealing he knows about Illyrio. Varys pretends to be worried but allows Baelish to continue. Renly eventually interrupts them and makes a comment about Robert being on his way(a big deal since Robert rarely ever met with the small council). Littlefinger is visibly taken aback hearing that the king will actually be attending, to which Varys snarkily replies, "Haven't you heard?"

Cut to the small council chamber where Varys shares the information he got from Illyrio about the Dothraki-Targaryen alliance and Daeny being pregnant. He also reveals he has Jorah implanted within their ranks. Everyone except Ned agrees that Daenerys needs to die.

A few episodes later, right before the wine merchant attempts to poison Daeny, one of Varys's child spies delivers a royal pardon to Jorah, allowing him to return to Westeros with amnesty. Jorah has a change of heart in the 11th hour, obviously, but he was clearly working for Varys up until then. Varys primary interest is the well being if the realm. A war breaking out to put anyone in power is the last thing he wants.

The TWoP has speculated before about Varys and his intentions. One popular theory was that Varys was friends with the one guy (Illyrio? The guy who gave them dragon eggs and kept Viserys and Dany safe) only to get intel on the goings on in the East. Basically, a ruse.

This one is getting pretty close.

Maybe Varys and Illyrio were working together in insuring the extinction of the targaryen line.

Illyrio kept them close, but he wouldn´t be responsible for their murder. He brokered Dany's marriage and gave the Iron Thorne an excuse to have them both killed. He knew the news of the Dothraki army would reach King Robert's ears and they would send an assasin. Varys was in the counsil promoting this assesination.

It might seem like an elaborate plan, but if we have learned something from game of thrones is that these type of plans are all around, no one wants to have blood on their hands or be shunned as a murderer: Cercei killing Robert by insuring he gets drunk during his hunt, little finger and olenna killing joffrey via sansa and dontos + framing tyrion, littlefinger killing jon aryn via Lysa and framing the lannisters, tywin being the master mind of the red wedding making the realm believe the freys were just avenging Rob's lack of honor, etc.

I still can't figure out why Varys and Illyrio would want the targaryens all dead... But if they had them conspiring early on the show I think we are in for a surprise... as was the surprise of the murder of lysa's husband.. I never thought I would hear from that again and now three seasons later it comes back as a game changer. Littlefinger is a real player of the game now, he has been moving strings from season one, and it only makes sense that Varys has been moving these string but maybe not focusing in the Stark family but in the Targaryens.

I believe everything Littlefinger did was for revenge from the starks (they took Cathelyn away) so maybe Varys and Illyrio have some grudge for the Targaryens, and have been working on their extintion since the Mad King Targaryen.

This one is getting pretty close.

Is that a theory around here? I hadn't heard that. I always believed Varys and Illyrio to be Targ supporters. I know there's the whole "Varys hates magic" deal, but no one knew the dragon eggs could actually hatch or that Dany was fireproof. There is something to be said for Varys' "I serve the realm", though - seems like war of any kind (including Targs + Dothraki invaders) does not lone up with that goal. Someone with that ideal should strive for the status quo at all times, methinks.

ETA: If they really were trying to extinguish the Targs, seems like Illyrio could have done it hundreds of other (and cheaper) ways than arranging a marriage to Drogo. Poison, thugs in the street - heck, all Varys had to do was tell Robert their whereabouts and he would send an assassin, like he ended up doing anyway. Nope, I don't buy it.

Unless you were being ironic...? Hrm...

Archived