Karl Tanner and Locke Appreciation thread (Show Spoilers)

I liked Gorman, I just thought the production overdid Karl's villainy.

Noah Taylor as Locke, on the other hand, is probably my favourite change from the books. I always thought Hoat was problematic, but Taylor brought the A Game and completely sold it. Unfortunately, as an added character his demise was a bit of a let down. Here's hoping Taylor gets a lot more deserved recognition now.

I would assume that the people choreographing the fight are experts, as well.

I would think so, but I expect a director to decide Jon-Karl should be an interesting close fight, rather than asking the choreographers to make the most realistic fight they can imagine between a knife dual-wielder and a longsword wielder. Jon barely used his reach.

They did an outstanding job with these two. Only their demise was disappointing for me.

Karl I loved to hate, Locke I pretty much loved in general (no condoning his sadist acts). I thought Locke was pretty funny.

Locke went too soon, Karl I still feel like shouldn't have owned Jon in the fight. I did enjoy Craster's daughter/wife stabbing him though, he had that coming.

They did an outstanding job with these two. Only their demise was disappointing for me.

Karl I loved to hate, Locke I pretty much loved in general (no condoning his sadist acts). I thought Locke was pretty funny.

Locke went too soon, Karl I still feel like shouldn't have owned Jon in the fight. I did enjoy Craster's daughter/wife stabbing him though, he had that coming.

I liked that they made Jon lose the fight. Let someone be a better fighter than him for once instead of turning him into Aragorn.

I liked that they made Jon lose the fight. Let someone be a better fighter than him for once instead of turning him into Aragorn.

Its one of the things that has been missing from Show Jon. He isn't a 'badass'. He is still a boy who is learning. Before the fight at the Mill in S3, the only people he had 'beaten' were completely untrained boys in the training yard at CB and an old Ranger who let him win.

I am surprised at people lamenting the lack of 'badassery' here. He killed a few unprepared drunks then was beaten in a fight that he should had range advantage. It fits with where Jon is at ATM.

^ It would be neat if he became a Wight when they were getting ready to burn the corpses. "The FUCK you doing to my body??"

I still have this inkling crackpot suspician that they put in this much time with the actor so that he would become Coldhands. Although him attacking Bran and being known to him kind of puts a Squish to the theory.

I still have this inkling crackpot suspician that they put in this much time with the actor so that he would become Coldhands. Although him attacking Bran and being known to him kind of puts a Squish to the theory.

If they can find anyway to keep Noah Taylor around it would help alleviate the major disappointment of his death.

Jaime, Jon and Brienne are not supposed to be fencers, they're War of the Roses era warriors using lonsgwords. Sport fencing is a renaissance/modern mock combat sport, it is not combat. With all due respect I think you have the last part of your comment the wrong way round. The choreographers will be experts in medieval era combat (actual fighting). Good essay on the subject if you're interested - http://www.thearma.org/essays/Longsword_Differs_From_Modern_Fencing.html#.U2jir_ldX38 - "modern fencing includes no equivalent system of fighting to that of the longsword"

I said I practiced sport fencing AND HEMA wich means Historical European Martial Arts, that is fencing with historical swords such as rapiers and longswords. My opinion was based on my knowledge of historical fencing, wich focuses on historical combat techniques, both by researching ancient sources, like medieval and modern treaties and through actual fighting to test the most effective ways to kill your oponent. So, yeah, I'm aware that modern sport fencing is not the same as longsword fencing.

This is an example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NCvm0pC_r8

Its one of the things that has been missing from Show Jon. He isn't a 'badass'. He is still a boy who is learning. Before the fight at the Mill in S3, the only people he had 'beaten' were completely untrained boys in the training yard at CB and an old Ranger who let him win.

I am surprised at people lamenting the lack of 'badassery' here. He killed a few unprepared drunks then was beaten in a fight that he should had range advantage. It fits with where Jon is at ATM.

^This. He even states in the book that he isn't equal to the sword he wields, therefore he practices everyday with it. He's also bested by Mance after that. I don't get where people think he's some sort of sword master, because even in the show a few episodes back, he said that Robb was better than him at everything, including fighting. He has a lot to learn and this was a learning experience for him. He was better than the kids who had never held a sword before, but that doesn't mean he's better than a professional assassin.

I was about to correct you and say that was Rattleshirt but I caught myself at the last moment. :lol:

I hope that we get to see that scene in the show. I absolutely loved it in the book.

Well Karl was probably the drunkest out of all the mutineers, to be fair.

He looked more like Paris from Troy, weeeeak! :whip:

Archived