[Spoilers] Next Episode - Asha/Yara at the Dreadfort

As someone who works with and studies dogs, I think people are seriously underestimating just how dangerous and intimidating they are.

Am not going to say dogs (especially a war dog as the show has depected them) is not a dangerous and intimidating animal. But are you really suggesting a 200+ pound man, in armour with a sword/axe/dagger/weapon is not an even more dangerous and intimidating prospect to fight? And if a person is to run away from dogs, wouldn't they have bolted it when they see a group of battle trained men in the first place?

Having volunteered at the Humane Society when I was much younger,I have learned to have a healthy respect for dogs. There is a primal instinct I think, in all humans to be completly scared shitless at something that wants to eat you. Nothing cowardly about wanting to get away from a huge dog that is obviously pissed off and in hunting mode. Add to that that Theon is utterly broken at this point and I can see why she ran.

Knowing anything about Ramsey's history as well, would terrify any one.

Having volunteered at the Humane Society when I was much younger,I have learned to have a healthy respect for dogs. There is a primal instinct I think, in all humans to be completly scared shitless at something that wants to eat you. Nothing cowardly about wanting to get away from a huge dog that is obviously pissed off and in hunting mode. Add to that that Theon is utterly broken at this point and I can see why she ran.

:cheers:

Well said.

No, dogs aren't more dangerous than armed soldiers. But they're a different kind of dangerous, and they're one that I'm pretty confident Yara hasn't spent her life sparring against. Add to that that she lost a chunk of her men, the rest of the Dreadfort was on its way, and she was just bitten by Theon... Good choice, girl.

I was only bringing up the dogs in the first place because in multiple places, not just this thread, I've seen people finding it comical that she ran from the dogs. It's not comical. It's justified.

I also just want to add that, given that D&D have said they don't have problems killing off characters at different times than the books, I had some fear that Yara actually could have died in this scene. The adrenaline and anxiety from that made the scene more intense to watch.

I normally defend the directors / writers in their choices for the story lines that deviate from the books - almost without fail I've found redeeming qualities and aspects of the scenes they fabricate. This is the FIRST one in 4 seasons I found very little I could defend and a whole lot more I found unbelievable and even confusing.

When Ramsay held up the key - and they fled... I had a WTF moment. I didn't get it. As someone else said - the dogs were penned up individually so how the hell... were they all just going to stand there waiting patiently while he unlocked each cage? One dog wasn't going to do much harm against all those armored / shielded / armed men with Yara ... or was the dog going to attack Theon instead? I ... just, did. not. get it.

Yeah I DO get it that it wasn't just the dogs that made Yara and crew run. Apparently the sight of crazy-eyed Ramsay's sexy bloodied up bare chest was enough to do that. /eyeroll.

And I don't believe for one minute, in those close quarters with that many guys fighting that Ramsay didn't get injured...armor or not. Bogus.

All the rest of it was fine... but this is the first time I'm jumping on the thumbs down wagon for the kennel scene.

It was as dumb as you could expect a filler involving Theon, Asha, and Ramsay could be.

D&D dropped the ball on Ironmen culture on top of it. "Go fight for your king!". Really Asha, if you were book Asha you'd know that's not how you get Ironmen to do anything.

She stayed in bed, smoked a cigarette, and contemplated just how fucking fine that boy is.

Three-way tie between :lmao: :drool: :cheers:

I was only bringing up the dogs in the first place because in multiple places, not just this thread, I've seen people finding it comical that she ran from the dogs. It's not comical. It's justified.

I found it comical more in how it was staged. Like, jump cut to Yara and her men storming back to the boat. Close to a Gilligan cut.

Even Batman was freaked out by a couple of pooches.

I think it would've been more effective if it were more dogs. It was like two...still scary for the average person, but visually a pack would've upped the ante.

Though now I'm picturing Yara going "Fine, Later, bitch." "Yeah, let's call it a night, I got this crazy chick upstairs and she wears me out."

The best killers of a warrior culture defeated by a handful of random Bolton goons and a shirtless psychopath. And the mere threat of dogs. Not that I'm mad or anything, or that I had expectations. I guess it's just one way to introduce us to more Ironborn storylines in the next season, by making them seem inept and irrelevant and full of entirely unwarranted pride.

So IRONBORN fled the scene at the sight of a DOG??

You know nothing HBO... Seriously I was so disappointed with this episode...

Really, i hope most of the people complaining are actually fans of the Ironborn. Because the amount of hate for those characters i usually see doesn't add up to the (collective) character "assassination" claims.

Analyzing every scene detail by minute detail will show some flaws, of course. But really, what's so far fetched about Asha & his men running? Do we need a chalkboard?

The shirtless Ramsey would be a legitimate concern, but even then, Roose described him in the books as reckless and savage when he fights. So it's not out of character, though a bit "tryhard badass".

Or Asha claiming her crew were the "50 best IB killers". Why the hell would Balon let her take the 1% best of his subjects anyway? They would have to be with him or Victarion.

And yes, i think the rescue mission ending so fast is clearly setting up the introduction of the uncles. Probably by name & situation in the remainder of S04, & for real in S05. And we might have the Kingsmoot after so much speculation (fingers crossed).

Analyzing every scene detail by minute detail will show some flaws, of course. But really, what's so far fetched about Asha & his men running? Do we need a chalkboard?

This. Does she spend time trying to kill Ramsay, the men next to him, the dogs whilst the rest of the Dreadfort descends upon her? (Please tell me you heard the alarm bells.) Or does she flee? I'd pick flee.

IMO, the best killers are the ones who stay alive. So yes, they fled rather than chance it. It's not cowardice to refrain from lingering in a castle with an unknown greater amount of enemies where you don't know the layout and have never been but your enemies do.

Ramsay had his guard down to Asha for at least 32 seconds, and at least 12 seconds where he's fumbling at the lock and has his back towards her. She could have put her axe into his back right then and there. She could have thrown it, and smoked him in the head, and even if the blade didn't hit, it would've been enough heft to at least maim him and potentially knock him out considering he had no helmet or any other sort of head protection.

Bad scene all around. Totally not believable.

Also, do any one of you realize that Asha's amazing finger-dancing skills have NOT been laid out in the show? So, you're complaining that shirtless Ramsay just obeys to a "badassery quota" for the Unsullied, and instead some of you propose that they should show Asha try her luck finishing Ramsay there and then with a flying axe (badassery quota ad infinitum), when it's not been established that she could actually pull that stunt off.

Seriously, i'd love a page-by-page TV adaptation, but the book-purism movement need to take a breath and at least not contradict themselves.

C'mon, people, let's call it like it is. The writers painted themselves into a corner last season when they decided (for whatever reason) to have Yara rescue Theon. This episode was just Cogman trying to walk away from that mess without screwing those storylines in a major way. Of course it was clumsy, as course-correction in tv shows usually is

C'mon, people, let's call it like it is. The writers painted themselves into a corner last season when they decided (for whatever reason) to have Yara rescue Theon. This episode was just Cogman trying to walk away from that mess without screwing those storylines in a major way. Of course it was clumsy, as course-correction in tv shows usually is

It wouldn't call it "course correction". When they sent Yara they would have had some idea of what she would be doing. That turned out to be "not much at all".

Archived