Science Fiction taking place on a Spaceship (more details inside)

dbcooper

Thank you all for your suggestions. I know rec threads can be a drag but I promise you, I had exhausted all other options for filling out my to-read queue.

Iain M, Banks Culture series seems like a glaring oversight on that list, though I can't think of any of them that is strictly all set on a single ship, I guess.

Yeah, there's one book who's name I can't remember where a good portion of the plot was moved while on ships. In any case, it's the Culture series so there's no harm in tossing it in.

More Details Inside would actually make a splendid name for a Culture ship, so the thread title is great!

Ha, that's a good one. If by some chance I ever have a vessel that I need to name, More Details Inside will be it.

Never mind.

Passage At Arms by Glen Cook is the best book about being in a spaceship ever written. Try that.

This is book 4 in a series, would I have to have read the first 3 to enjoy it? Also I absolutely hated Glen Cook's Tower of Fear, is the writing any different?

Short on time, will respond to the rest later.

Solo, much like with Culture, R. Scott Bakker’s books are not entirely set on a spaceship, so it’s not quite what the OP was looking for. (Otherwise Bakker and Banks have much in common. Spaceships, huge AIs with entertaining speech patterns, a lot about the use of weapons, occasional humour, moral ambiguity, female characters with agency and healthy sexual appetites.)

AI's in RSB's books? Are we talking about PoN/Aspect-Emporer here?

They're kidding(I think). Bakker theories are kind of like an in-joke around here. They get weird and leak into other topics.

Passage of Arms has very little to do with the other 3 Starfisher books. From what I recall PaA is set during a war that gets mentioned maybe twice offhandly in book one. I read it not knowing it was part of the series.

AS for the writing, I dunno, Tower of Fear is absolutely one of my favorites, but Arms is 1st person POV and Cook's 1st person tends to be a lot different then his 3rd. Passage of Arms is often described as Das Boot in space, if that helps any.

Also you could watch Alien, which is the best film ever made. :P

AI's in RSB's books? Are we talking about PoN/Aspect-Emporer here?

There’s plenty. Most notably, in boldface capitals,

TELL ME! WHAT DO YOU SEE!

RSB has deep and useful thoughts about how AI can be controlled (something with Banks seems to ignore—exactly what is the reason that his AIs don’t just Kill! All! Humans! I haven’t read all of Banks, so perhaps I’m wrong.) RSB has AI point-of-view chapters (the thing called Sarcellus!), and fascinating conversations between Cnaiür and the skin spies.

The dragon isn’t an AI, as far as I can tell.

Sail 25 (sometimes titled Gateway to Strangeness or Dust of Far Suns in certain editions) by Jack Vance, who also wrote Ports of Call and Lurulu.

John Maddox Roberts has two 80's-tastic sets of spacefaring novels.

Space Angels:

• Space Angel (1979)
  • Spacer: Window of the Mind (1988)

Island World Series:

• Act of God (1985) (with Eric Kotani)
  • The Island Worlds (1987) (with Eric Kotani)
  • Between The Stars (1988) (with Eric Kotani)
  • Delta Pavonis (1990) (with Eric Kotani)

That can't be true. This is Lit - everything here is a Bakker thread to one degree or another.

True. On the slog of slogs, all threads belong to Bakker.

There was a follow up The Moat around Murcheson's Eye, can't honestly remeber if it was good or bad. I like The Mote though.

In the U.S. they called that The Gripping Hand. It was okay, better than most scifi sequels, but mostly forgettable. I actually checked it out of the library a second time, a couple months after I first read it, because I completely forgot I already had. Took me a few chapters before it hit me why everything seemed so familiar.

Try Deepness in the Sky, by Vernor Vinge. I think it ticks all your boxes and is great besides.

Walter Jon Williams Dread Empire Falls trilogy takes place in a lot of spaceships, but it's a bit more military, less exploration-y.

David Brin's two Uplift trilogies match the criteria as well.

Iain M, Banks Culture series seems like a glaring oversight on that list, though I can't think of any of them that is strictly all set on a single ship, I guess.

I remember liking Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy, though it might have been more of a juvie (and...disturbingly capitalist? I don't remember any more) and Timothy Zahn's The Icarus Hunt is a quick read of a Fireflyesque sort of vein.

The capitalists in the book were secretly funding the slave trade and the protagonist used their own methods against them. Consider it an analogy to pre Civil War United States.

Oh, yes... I guess I had better put in a recommendation too. Try The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. The Cities In Flight series by James Blish would also fit the bill.

Archived