THOSE WHO SING

wolfmaid7

Now aint that a scary thought.Yeah i think its deeper than that which makes sense that they wouldn't really be into any individual outcome unless they have something major to contribute to the net with regards to a song.

First welcome to the thread and let me clarify a bit because i think there's a misunderstanding ... Warging or skinchanging physically doesn't have anything to do with the magical song that is factually made known to us by regular Skinchangers like V6. They have the Skinchanging in the bloodline which makes it possible for them to Skinchange animals.The difference is that the animals Skinchanged by the likes of Varrymyr and Orell don't have a song( of their own will share a note with another)...They are just garden variety animals.The Direwolves and the Dragons are different because they share a song with a person."Every song has a balance"(Blood raven),and they are part of songs that share a note. They have the ability to "choose" who will share their song with because that other half exists to resonate that particualr song as well.

So i agree that skinchanging is a means to understand the Song between those that have one.The perfect example is in Jon and Ghost when Jon first found him.Ghost made a sound only "he" Jon could hear.This was before any Warging, but he called to his other half because he would have been left behind for sure.I wan't to emphasize this a bit more because i think your thinking that i'm saying Songs have to do with being able to skinchange.Not at all i agree with the latter as indicated in the examples with Jon and Bran the song magical bond that connects is already existing its just the actuall Skinchanging is a means to bridge the language barriers.

Which brings back to Summerhall and the Dragons what we were throwing around based on Drogon's choosing of Dany and the song he played for her is also magical its a way to choose your rider.We know that the Targs tried to hatch the Dragons using fire so they most likley heard the songs as well,but due to some sketchy intentions the singing became discord and the fire used to hatch them got out of control.

To sum:

Skinchanging is not contingent on the Song,but not all animals and their controllers have a shared note.I hope that makes sense.

The MMD is a nice one and there is more to that which i really want to explore because it reminds me of Leaf warning Bran about calling Ned back from Death and i'm seeing how the Wights come into play...Death has a Song if you play the bones just right.

I also love the comparison with the COTF and the Rhyoners and i think that is a great examples on how magical songs can cause "s**t to happen.

I'm responding to the idea of yours I've bolded...

This reminded me of the link between the glamour Melisandre cast on Mance using Rattleshirt's armour of bones. She said something about the bones remembering. It made me start to think about the phrase 'the North remembers' and the idea that somehow the key or clue to much of the lost Northern magic or knowledge is in the Winterfell crypt, rich with Stark bones.

I'm responding to the idea of yours I've bolded...

This reminded me of the link between the glamour disbanded cast on Mance using Rattleshirt's armour of bones. She said something about the bones remembering. It made me start to think about the phrase 'the North remembers' and the idea that somehow the key or clue to much of the lost Northern magic or knowledge is in the Winterfell crypt, rich with Stark bones.

Another unerving thought,what can one do with those secrets,what can a person do with the bones?

Doesn't Jon Snow hear the sound of drums from above when he goes into the crypts in his nightmare?

:uhoh:

I think he hears the feast of the dead. Theon has a similar dream about a feast taking place in Winterfell's Great Hall and the guest are all dead people, that's why Jon thinks he is not welcome at the feast even if he has the wrong reason. He thinks that's because he is a bastard but it's more likely because he is not dead.

First welcome to the thread and let me clarify a bit because i think there's a misunderstanding ... Warging or skinchanging physically doesn't have anything to do with the magical song that is factually made known to us by regular Skinchangers like V6. They have the Skinchanging in the bloodline which makes it possible for them to Skinchange animals.The difference is that the animals Skinchanged by the likes of Varrymyr and Orell don't have a song( of their own will share a note with another)...They are just garden variety animals.The Direwolves and the Dragons are different because they share a song with a person."Every song has a balance"(Blood raven),and they are part of songs that share a note. They have the ability to "choose" who will share their song with because that other half exists to resonate that particualr song as well.

So i agree that skinchanging is a means to understand the Song between those that have one.The perfect example is in Jon and Ghost when Jon first found him.Ghost made a sound only "he" Jon could hear.This was before any Warging, but he called to his other half because he would have been left behind for sure.I wan't to emphasize this a bit more because i think your thinking that i'm saying Songs have to do with being able to skinchange.Not at all i agree with the latter as indicated in the examples with Jon and Bran the song magical bond that connects is already existing its just the actuall Skinchanging is a means to bridge the language barriers.

Which brings back to Summerhall and the Dragons what we were throwing around based on Drogon's choosing of Dany and the song he played for her is also magical its a way to choose your rider.We know that the Targs tried to hatch the Dragons using fire so they most likley heard the songs as well,but due to some sketchy intentions the singing became discord and the fire used to hatch them got out of control.

To sum:

Skinchanging is not contingent on the Song,but not all animals and their controllers have a shared note.I hope that makes sense.

The MMD is a nice one and there is more to that which i really want to explore because it reminds me of Leaf warning Bran about calling Ned back from Death and i'm seeing how the Wights come into play...Death has a Song if you play the bones just right.

I also love the comparison with the COTF and the Rhyoners and i think that is a great examples on how magical songs can cause "s**t to happen.

I didn't mean that skinchanging only is what allowed the Stark kids and Dany to hear the song better. I indeed meant that it helps, and that the awakening of their skinchanging/warging powers took place because the magic is getting stronger (something that we also see with the birth of the dragons, the brightness of the red comet, the pyromancers spells, and the fire maege's).

Obviously, skinchanging isn't the only requirement. We see multiple skinchangers who aren't capable of hearing a song.

I found it very interesting that we see a Blackwood in the Stark family tree, who should be rather closely related to Bloodraven, judging from the generations. With Bloodraven as a warg/skinchanger/greenseer, it might be that the powers find (parts of) their origin in the Blackwood blood, as that is the blood that flows through the veins of all the current Stark children. Perhaps the Blackwood blood is only the reason for the greensight (as both Bloodraven and Bran have the gift)? The actual ability to hear the song and to be able to warg and/or skinchange then has a different origin.

When you say "Death has a Song if you play the bones just right." that makes me think of Coldhands a bit. He seems to be a wight, judging by his appearance, but he doesn't act like one. Would Coldhands be such a case where the song of death was played just right?

I found it very interesting that we see a Blackwood in the Stark family tree, who should be rather closely related to Bloodraven, judging from the generations. With Bloodraven as a warg/skinchanger/greenseer, it might be that the powers find (parts of) their origin in the Blackwood blood, as that is the blood that flows through the veins of all the current Stark children. Perhaps the Blackwood blood is only the reason for the greensight (as both Bloodraven and Bran have the gift)? The actual ability to hear the song and to be able to warg and/or skinchange then has a different origin.

When you say "Death has a Song if you play the bones just right." that makes me think of Coldhands a bit. He seems to be a wight, judging by his appearance, but he doesn't act like one. Would Coldhands be such a case where the song of death was played just right?

Ah i see what you're saying.

Yeah i noticed the Blackwood in the family tree myself and thought for sure that's where the Greensight came from.I actually believe all of the Stark kids are Greenser type based on what Bloodraven told Bran when eating the paste:

Bran: Will this make me a Greenseer?"

BR: Your blood makes you a greenseer,this will marry you to the trees and awaken your gifts"

I think that label is what the COTF call the one they have that's married to the trees.Jon and Rickon have shown this to possess it so far .Therefore,Greensight is just prophetic dreams with a cool name.

Coldhands is a very unusual case and i think there are a lot of secrets locked in exactly why he is the way he is.You could't put it any better in what you said,i think that's exactly the case.I think someone has a strong connection to the song of death and it aint the WWs.

I found this quote while researching for another topic:

The rest of the murder flew ahead or lingered

behind. But when the sun sank low they would return, descending from the sky on night-black wings

until every branch of every tree was thick with them for yards around. Some would fly to the ranger and

mutter at him, and it seemed to Bran that he understood their quorks and squawks.

I always thought that the Ravens when they whisphered to CH were doing so the way we always heard them with their one liners etc ,but it seems CH's know Ravensong.Which makes sense that he understood their speech.

Great topic Wolfmaid7, and some brilliant contributions by others as well.

I am reminded of a bible quote. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Of course this is a mistranslation from the original Greek, where the word is not lexis but logos. Logos does not mean word in a grammatical sense, but has a far deeper meaning in philosophical and religous terms. The Stoics, for example, believed that logos was the ordering or generative principle of the universe. In Hindu philosophy, or theology, the word is OM, the original and supreme vibration, or AUM, which represents creation, preservation, and destruction (or liberation). Even in scientific terms, there is a parallel with cymatics, in which complex patterns arise depending on the vibration of a medium like water or salt on a vibrating plate.

So, it seems reasonable to me that the "song" is the magical (or perhaps divine?) animating principle that pervades the ASoIaF universe.

Great topic Wolfmaid7, and some brilliant contributions by others as well.

I am reminded of a bible quote. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Of course this is a mistranslation from the original Greek, where the word is not lexis but logos. Logos does not mean word in a grammatical sense, but has a far deeper meaning in philosophical and religous terms. The Stoics, for example, believed that logos was the ordering or generative principle of the universe. In Hindu philosophy, or theology, the word is OM, the original and supreme vibration, or AUM, which represents creation, preservation, and destruction (or liberation). Even in scientific terms, there is a parallel with cymatics, in which complex patterns arise depending on the vibration of a medium like water or salt on a vibrating plate.

So, it seems reasonable to me that the "song" is the magical (or perhaps divine?) animating principle that pervades the ASoIaF universe.

Thanks three-eyed monkey: I have to thank those who contributed thus far to this,they've really come up with some amazing insights and parallels of their own that is causing us to arrive at a bigger picture concerning "Songs" in the series.You are too right and i have to say cudoes for the parallels you have drawn to Hindu philosophy.We spoke of vibrations a bit in terms of how Jon may sound to Ghost and as you brought up vibrating again i am reminded of Jon's visit to Whitetree

"An old tree" Mormont sat his horse frowing

"Old," his Raven agreed from his shoulder ,Old,Old,Old "

"And powerful" Jon could feel the Power.

That Old Heart tree must have been vibrating up a storm..The world is alive again with music and all things magical are singing their song,what songs though,what songs.

Thanks three-eyed monkey: I have to thank those who contributed thus far to this,they've really come up with some amazing insights and parallels of their own that is causing us to arrive at a bigger picture concerning "Songs" in the series.You are too right and i have to say cudoes for the parallels you have drawn to Hindu philosophy.We spoke of vibrations a bit in terms of how Jon may sound to Ghost and as you brought up vibrating again i am reminded of Jon's visit to Whitetree

"An old tree" Mormont sat his horse frowing

"Old," his Raven agreed from his shoulder ,Old,Old,Old "

"And powerful" Jon could feel the Power.

That Old Heart tree must have been vibrating up a storm..The world is alive again with music and all things magical are singing their song,what songs though,what songs.

No, thank you. This is just a brilliant topic. BTW, your last line reminds me of the last line in AGoT.

... and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons.

No, thank you. This is just a brilliant topic. BTW, your last line reminds me of the last line in AGoT.

... and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons.

Nice catch completely forgot that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up! All the posts here are amazing! :bowdown:

I wanted to add some more on "the song", I recently read another story by GRRM called Tuf Voyaging, which included many animals and species and they all had different ways of interacting with man and their surroundings. After reading it, it's easy to notice GRRM carried many of his methods in this story into ASOIAF especially the communication of the familiars, he uses the same concept of song within this story.

Some quotes

What sort of intelligent being could live deep under the sea, immobile, blind, deaf, bereft of all input? I pondered that question. The answer, sirs, is obvious. Such an intelligence must interact with the world in ways we cannot, must have its own modes of sensing and communicating. Such an intelligence must be telepathic. Indeed. The more I considered it, the more obvious it became.

“For millennia beyond counting they have dwelled in tranquility and peace beneath the seas of this world. They are a slow, thoughtful, philosophic race, and they lived side by side in the billions, each linked with all the others, each an individual and each a part of the great racial whole. In a sense they were deathless, for all shared the experiences of each, and the death of one was as nothing. Experiences were few in the unchanging sea, however. For the most part their long lives are given over to abstract thought, to philosophy, to strange green dreams that neither you nor I can truly comprehend. They are silent musicians, one might say. Together they have woven great symphonies of dreams, and those songs go on and on.

I believe the song understood between one and it's familiar in ASOIAF has shades of telepathy, which is a form of them sensing, communicating and understanding one another.

Some evidence in the text to support this:

Once, so tormented she could not sleep, Dany slid a hand down between her legs, and gasped when she felt how wet she was. Scarce daring to breathe, she moved her fingers back and forth between her lower lips, slowly so as not to wake Irri beside her, until she found one sweet spot and lingered there, touching herself lightly, timidly at first and then faster. Still, the relief she wanted seemed to recede before her, until her dragons stirred, and one screamed out across the cabin, and Irri woke and saw what she was doing.

Dany knew her face was flushed, but in the darkness Irri surely could not tell. Wordless, the handmaid put a hand on her breast, then bent to take a nipple in her mouth. Her other hand drifted down across the soft curve of belly, through the mound of fine silvery-gold hair, and went to work between Dany’s thighs. It was no more than a few moments until her legs twisted and her breasts heaved and her whole body shuddered. She screamed then. Or perhaps that was Drogon. Irri never said a thing, only curled back up and went back to sleep the instant the thing was done.

Aggo went before her with his great Dothraki bow. Strong Belwas walked to the right of her mare, the girl Missandei to her left. Ser Jorah Mormont was behind in mail and surcoat, glowering at anyone who came too near. Rakharo and Jhogo protected the litter. Dany had commanded that the top be removed, so her three dragons might be chained to the platform. Irri and Jhiqui rode with them, to try and keep them calm. Yet Viserion’s tail lashed back and forth, and smoke rose angry from his nostrils. Rhaegal could sense something wrong as well. Thrice he tried to take wing, only to be pulled down by the heavy chain in Jhiqui’s hand. Drogon coiled into a ball, wings and tail tucked tight. Only his eyes remained to tell that he was not asleep.

The first two occasions, Drogon senses Dany's arousal and he also screams when she climaxes. In the last situation everyone doesn't know about Dany's plan to trick the Astapori that she is selling Drogon, even the other dragons don't feel right but Drogon is as calm Dany.

Distance also seems to be not a problem, in hearing the song.

And there Aegon might have remained, hidden yet harmless, dulling his pain with wine and hiding his burn scars beneath a heavy cloak, had Sunfyre not made his way to Dragonstone. We may ask what drew him back to the Dragonmont, for many have. Was the wounded dragon, with his half-healed broken wing, driven by some primal instinct to return to his birthplace, the smoking mountain where he had emerged from his egg? Or did he somehow sense the presence of King Aegon on the island, across long leagues and stormy seas, and fly there to rejoin his rider? Some go so far as to suggest that Sunfyre sensed Aegon’s desperate need. But who can presume to know the heart of a dragon?

Q: What can you tell us about a warg dragon rider?

A: There is no history/precedent for someone warging a dragon. There is a rich history of the mythical bond between dragon and rider. There have been instances of dragons responding to their riders even from very far away (hmm) which shows it is a true and very strong bond. We will learn more about this.

Finally caught up! All the posts here are amazing! :bowdown:

I wanted to add some more on "the song", I recently read another story by GRRM called Tuf Voyaging, which included many animals and species and they all had different ways of interacting with man and their surroundings. After reading it, it's easy to notice GRRM carried many of his methods in this story into ASOIAF especially the communication of the familiars, he uses the same concept of song within this story.

Some quotes

I believe the song understood between one and it's familiar in ASOIAF has shades of telepathy, which is a form of them sensing, communicating and understanding one another.

Some evidence in the text to support this:

Once, so tormented she could not sleep, Dany slid a hand down between her legs, and gasped when she felt how wet she was. Scarce daring to breathe, she moved her fingers back and forth between her lower lips, slowly so as not to wake Irri beside her, until she found one sweet spot and lingered there, touching herself lightly, timidly at first and then faster. Still, the relief she wanted seemed to recede before her, until her dragons stirred, and one screamed out across the cabin, and Irri woke and saw what she was doing.

Dany knew her face was flushed, but in the darkness Irri surely could not tell. Wordless, the handmaid put a hand on her breast, then bent to take a nipple in her mouth. Her other hand drifted down across the soft curve of belly, through the mound of fine silvery-gold hair, and went to work between Dany’s thighs. It was no more than a few moments until her legs twisted and her breasts heaved and her whole body shuddered. She screamed then. Or perhaps that was Drogon. Irri never said a thing, only curled back up and went back to sleep the instant the thing was done.

Aggo went before her with his great Dothraki bow. Strong Belwas walked to the right of her mare, the girl Missandei to her left. Ser Jorah Mormont was behind in mail and surcoat, glowering at anyone who came too near. Rakharo and Jhogo protected the litter. Dany had commanded that the top be removed, so her three dragons might be chained to the platform. Irri and Jhiqui rode with them, to try and keep them calm. Yet Viserion’s tail lashed back and forth, and smoke rose angry from his nostrils. Rhaegal could sense something wrong as well. Thrice he tried to take wing, only to be pulled down by the heavy chain in Jhiqui’s hand. Drogon coiled into a ball, wings and tail tucked tight. Only his eyes remained to tell that he was not asleep.

The first two occasions, Drogon senses Dany's arousal and he also screams when she climaxes. In the last situation everyone doesn't know about Dany's plan to trick the Astapori that she is selling Drogon, even the other dragons don't feel right but Drogon is as calm Dany.

And there Aegon might have remained, hidden yet harmless, dulling his pain with wine and hiding his burn scars beneath a heavy cloak, had Sunfyre not made his way to Dragonstone. We may ask what drew him back to the Dragonmont, for many have. Was the wounded dragon, with his half-healed broken wing, driven by some primal instinct to return to his birthplace, the smoking mountain where he had emerged from his egg? Or did he somehow sense the presence of King Aegon on the island, across long leagues and stormy seas, and fly there to rejoin his rider? Some go so far as to suggest that Sunfyre sensed Aegon’s desperate need. But who can presume to know the heart of a dragon?

I so loved what ou did there QA and if i had to put a scientific term for everything we've seen it would be a form of telepathy.Showing how Dany's arousal also aroused Drogon and the calmness of him when Dany was going to pull one over the dude from Astapor was great.I think its more apt to call these type of bond "the song" because truly that is what it is,they are sharing a note animal and human and my be a diservice to exclude the Dragons ,Direwolves ,trees and Crows in this because they are the ones who have identified the humans who share their song.

The depth of this is astounding because it add a whole new avenue of thinking about this series.

What does someone having a song of fire and ice mean is it someone who can share a telepathic link with a Dragon and what ever ice is? I have a theory that i will share in a bit but i think its a way to bridge the song.

Queen Alysanne:

And of course, Arya has wolf dreams she shares with Nymeria; dreams from Braavos to the Riverlands or further.

snip...

...snap

I was reading another thread which quoted the Ghost of High Heart and it made me think of this thread. The quote "I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief. I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells."

The thread was about the dreams of Theon and Jon and both dreams contain music references. First Theon "That night he dreamed of the feast Ned Stark had thrown when King Robert came to Winterfell. The hall rang with music and laughter, though the cold winds were rising outside. At first it was all wine and roast meat, and Theon was making japes and eyeing the serving girls and having himself a fine time... until he noticed that the room was growing darker. The music did not seem so jolly then; he heard discords and strange silences, and notes that hung in the air bleeding. Suddenly the wine turned bitter in his mouth, and when he looked up from his cup he saw that he was dining with the dead."

And Jon "Up above he heard drums. They are feasting in the Great Hall, but I am not welcome there. I am no Stark, and this is not my place."

The quotes all contain a reference to music that has either discord in it, or in Jon's case, it makes him feel not welcome. We know of course, the GoHH was referring to the RW, and in Cat's POV she mentions that the music was bad, loud, drums giving her a bad headache. Theon hears music that is so frightening that it "hangs in the air bleeding." Jon only hears drums, but they are enough to make him feel bad.

So, does the awful music have place in Westeros as well? Does such discord in music have a meaning? There was no actual singing, but music, like song, carries a message. And in the case of the RW, it was terrible one. Can anyone else remember where foreboding or scary music accompanies a scene of terror or death? (other than Summerhall?)

Anyway, here is a link to the thread this idea came from, it's about Theon and Jon sharing dreams. Check it out if your'e interested, it's pretty good I thought.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112729-a-feast-for-the-dead-a-snow-in-the-tombs-a-dream-in-dust/

I was reading another thread which quoted the Ghost of High Heart and it made me think of this thread. The quote "I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief. I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells."

The thread was about the dreams of Theon and Jon and both dreams contain music references. First Theon "That night he dreamed of the feast Ned Stark had thrown when King Robert came to Winterfell. The hall rang with music and laughter, though the cold winds were rising outside. At first it was all wine and roast meat, and Theon was making japes and eyeing the serving girls and having himself a fine time... until he noticed that the room was growing darker. The music did not seem so jolly then; he heard discords and strange silences, and notes that hung in the air bleeding. Suddenly the wine turned bitter in his mouth, and when he looked up from his cup he saw that he was dining with the dead."

And Jon "Up above he heard drums. They are feasting in the Great Hall, but I am not welcome there. I am no Stark, and this is not my place."

The quotes all contain a reference to music that has either discord in it, or in Jon's case, it makes him feel not welcome. We know of course, the GoHH was referring to the RW, and in Cat's POV she mentions that the music was bad, loud, drums giving her a bad headache. Theon hears music that is so frightening that it "hangs in the air bleeding." Jon only hears drums, but they are enough to make him feel bad.

So, does the awful music have place in Westeros as well? Does such discord in music have a meaning? There was no actual singing, but music, like song, carries a message. And in the case of the RW, it was terrible one. Can anyone else remember where foreboding or scary music accompanies a scene of terror or death? (other than Summerhall?)

Anyway, here is a link to the thread this idea came from, it's about Theon and Jon sharing dreams. Check it out if your'e interested, it's pretty good I thought.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112729-a-feast-for-the-dead-a-snow-in-the-tombs-a-dream-in-dust/

Thank you so much for posting this Longrider,you know a thought occured to me while reading your post and relvant texts the times so much pain could have been avoided had people listen "to the songs".In a few cases they may have come to late,for such is the songs that men play.

For Cat and the GHH the songs began to play maybe moments befor the axe drops and they could feel something wrong.Understandable when dealing with some human things they aren't much forsight.But looking at the magical creatures we see they percieve the song differently.

Ghost,Summer,Grey wind the Dragons may all percieve it because doesn't music transend time and space.I don't know if you ever read "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" by Stephen Donaldson,but something i found facinating and beautiful were the Ranyand ( the great horses). They lived thousands and thousands of leagues away from Revelstone and when the Lords needed them they would Whistle and in mere minutes the exact amount of horses for the exact amount of riders would show up.

What was a mystery was how the horses would show up so fast when the call was made. Later on in the other books we found out that they heard the whistle way before the riders made the call because the music of the call was not limited by time or space or their riders needs.Like Dragons each rider had his/her own Ranyand only they could ride.I think the creatures in this series show the same type of sensitivity for when the "music of the spheres" changes.

If people are vibrating deception or vibrations are clashing thus discord they would be sensitive to these things. Thank you again for posting these examples.

• 2 months later...

Ah i see what you're saying.

Yeah i noticed the Blackwood in the family tree myself and thought for sure that's where the Greensight came from.I actually believe all of the Stark kids are Greenser type based on what Bloodraven told Bran when eating the paste:

Bran: Will this make me a Greenseer?"

BR: Your blood makes you a greenseer,this will marry you to the trees and awaken your gifts"

I think that label is what the COTF call the one they have that's married to the trees.Jon and Rickon have shown this to possess it so far .Therefore,Greensight is just prophetic dreams with a cool name.

Coldhands is a very unusual case and i think there are a lot of secrets locked in exactly why he is the way he is.You could't put it any better in what you said,i think that's exactly the case.I think someone has a strong connection to the song of death and it aint the WWs.

It's interesting to wonder where the origin of what powers come from which bloodline, eg we have Bloodraven of the Blackfyre line I think? And Bran stark as Greenseers

As for song of death, makes me wonder if this has to do with how Wightsa re resurrected, but in Coldhands case this song has been "hacked" in some way. Can the Wights talk? How is acoldhands able to project his voice

Then there's the difference between resurrection via Wight, resurrection via R'hlorr (Beric and LS) and haven't here's whatever Asshai resurrection/healing magic that was used on Khal Drogo and perhaps Ser Gregor to create Ser Robert Strong, I suspect he may be controlled by binding Melisandre style shadows babies to Ser Gregors body

It's interesting to wonder where the origin of what powers come from which bloodline, eg we have Bloodraven of the Blackfyre line I think? And Bran stark as Greenseers

As for song of death, makes me wonder if this has to do with how Wightsa re resurrected, but in Coldhands case this song has been "hacked" in some way. Can the Wights talk? How is acoldhands able to project his voice

Then there's the difference between resurrection via Wight, resurrection via R'hlorr (Beric and LS) and haven't here's whatever Asshai resurrection/healing magic that was used on Khal Drogo and perhaps Ser Gregor to create Ser Robert Strong, I suspect he may be controlled by binding Melisandre style shadows babies to Ser Gregors body

That is an interesting concept, I hadn't thought about that. I wonder what his relationship is to tCotF given it would seem they are hostile to the rest of the Wights.

• 2 weeks later...

It is m theory that it is in fact not the WWs that raise the dead,but a GS. I linked that theory below,but i think you hit the nail on the head with regards to CH.If you know the myth of the Summer(Oak) and Winter(Holly) Kings you see how perfectly that myth lines up with the GS position and what in paganism is called the "Wheel of the Year" which is also described as a song.The way the Wights are enthralled is an extention of Skinchanging abilties we have seen throughout this story for a perfect exampl the way Varymur Sixskins held his animals.

So it seems to be the same thing going on with the Wights where they share a song with another. CH's is interesting and more and more i'm intrigued to find out who he is. He smells like the Wights so i think his resurrection is the same except he is not enthralled like them.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/94335-the-cold-the-wight-and-the-wight-walker/

That is an interesting concept, I hadn't thought about that. I wonder what his relationship is to tCotF given it would seem they are hostile to the rest of the Wights.

That's a nice question.

Archived