Season Five Casting

Skywarpgold

Not necessarily bad writing (judge it when you see it, it's moves like this that prove that no deviation the show will ever make could be considered "good writing" in this side of the fandom). It's a weird change but it might pay off somehow. I could enjoy a scene between Doran and Jamie, for instance.

That said, the major additions to season 4 were rather meh in my opinion, so unless this breaks the mold it could certainly end up as a bad deviation. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

What useful info has Varys ever got from being on the Small Council? In the books, his job is kind of important because by being the Master of Whispers, he is able to make sure that the Small Council never has to worry about Essos and Aegon. When he talks about Dany's dragons, he talks about them as if they were merely smallfolks tales (he compares it to krakens being seen at the Fingers). That's why Tywin never did anything about Dany. Yeah, I know he was busy about the Red Wedding, Tyrion's trial and all, but he still could have send assassins after Dany, but he did nothing because he never saw Dany as a threat, thanks to Varys. In the show, Varys keeps his job as Master of Whispers.... so he can continue to talk about how big of a threat Dany is. Even as a Aegon supporter, this doesn't make much sense (people were complaning about this in the Nitpicking thread of the episode where it happened). But if Varys is strictly a Dany supporter, then this is purely idiotic of him to do this as it lead to Dany losing her best advisor.

If they cut Aegon, I think it would be better to make Varys what he says he is (a man who works for the good of the realm) than making him a Dany supporter. However, with his scene with Oberyn where he looked at the throne, I don't think we'll be getting this, so it goes down to two scenarios: Varys supports Aegon, and his actions are easily explanable, or Varys supports Dany, and his actions can only be explained by him being a god or a very lucky fool. Add to this the Golden Company being namedropped twice in season 4 and I think it lead to the conclusion that......Aegon is in the show.

As I say, Varys is a pragmatic opportunist. At the moment we do not know how Varys rated Aegon, Visyris, or Dani, though I'd guess Dani was at the bottom. The dragons may have changed things, it is difficult to see. Viserys dying changed things. By being in the small council Varys has had direct input to the rulers, that's pretty useful.

Not necessarily bad writing (judge it when you see it, it's moves like this that prove that no deviation the show will ever make could be considered "good writing" in this side of the fandom). It's a weird change but it might pay off somehow. I could enjoy a scene between Doran and Jamie, for instance.

That said, the major additions to season 4 were rather meh in my opinion, so unless this breaks the mold it could certainly end up as a bad deviation. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

lol their fanfic is always so bad though. and whats so irritating about it is that the mistakes that they make can be so easily fixed. for example, in the season 3 finale i would have had a scene with jaime and brienne-reacting to the red wedding. i would have written the purple wedding to be in the first episode of season 4, and have jaime return to kings landing in season 4 episode 2 (have jaime/cersei have consensual altar sex in the books) and then followed jaime's storyline from the books.

at this point they're just make changes because they can, it wouldn't be so bad if they could preserve the characterizations while doing so, but they don't.

i would bet good money that jaime is probably going to end up sleeping with a sand snake in dorne or something

Honestly I'm dreading it. They could come up with something good but after this year's finale I'd rather brace myself for the worst.

tbh i actually understand what they were trying to do with the jaime/cersei sex scene in the finale and i actually think that even after that scene, jaime and cersei's affc storylines could be executed pretty faithfully and well in the tv show.....but then D&D write in dumb shit like jaime going to dorne lmao

I think the show will make Varys' motivations even more clear than the book did. And I definitely think they already have an Aegon in mind. Probably JonCon too.

The only major players that aren't confirmed or all but confirmed are the Greyjoy bros. And I expect to see Euron for sure. Victarion and Aeron could go either way, depending on their importance in the future and on whatever D&D want to do (because there's no way Arianne isn't important, and they're still seemingly handing her role to the Sand Snakes).

Blame the alter sex scene on Alex Graves- he wasn't even sure what he wanted to do with the scene and probably gave wrong advice to the actors. Sure, it would have helped if D&D had written "Cersei moans" in the scripts but overall I feel like the rape scene is mostly on Alex Graves. The actors admitted it was supposed to end up looking consensual.

Why is Jaime going to Dorne dumb? The best way to introduce new characters and have people become invested in them is through using older characters. Just because it's not in the books doesn't mean it's bad. And just because something's in the book doesn't make it good either- Cersei, Meereen, the Ironborn and Dorne (like Mr. Fixit said) were quite poorly done by Martin. This can turn out to be a great decision, like the Hound and Brienne; wait and see before you spew negativity guys :)

but will show!Cersei try to bring Margaery's downfall by sleeping with a man and then having that man confess that he fucked margaery in order to frame her for adultery??

i highly doubt it, which loses the impact of the walk of shame imo. D&D have such good source material but they choose to ignore it smh

Why is Jaime going to Dorne dumb? The best way to introduce new characters and have people become invested in them is through using older characters. Just because it's not in the books doesn't mean it's bad. And just because something's in the book doesn't make it good either- Cersei, Meereen, the Ironborn and Dorne (like Mr. Fixit said) were quite poorly done by Martin. This can turn out to be a great decision, like the Hound and Brienne; wait and see before you spew negativity guys :)

i dislike the idea of jaime being used as a plot device to introduce less important characters

They should use more West Indies/South American actors for the Dornish characters, i suspect they would :3 ...Caribbean actors fit more the Summer Islands and Slaver's Bay roles, Missandei and Grey Worm are also standouts, but it would be good to see what they come up with.

Newstar, on 18 Jun 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:snapback.png

Michelle Maclaren is boss, so I couldn't be happier that she's directing four episodes.

Nutter gets two, Neil Marshall and Alex Graves are out, D&D usually get an episode to direct, so that leaves three. Who's left? Sakharov? Minahan?

That leaves three episodes.
Sakarov can take all of them! He was great this season, too.

Hoping this is wrong -- McLaren directed both Crasterfck episodes, and Sakharov directed the Dreadfort scene, so they've both earned zero episodes of anything ever again (much less a show I like).

I dont think Taena is really necessary.

Cersei's season 5 can consist, more or less of that main points :

- War of the two queens. Lots of tensions and acid lines.

- Going paranoid.

- Sending Jaime away.

- Relationship with Qyburn.

- Plot to murder the High Septon.

- New High Septon named.

- Burning the Tower of the Hand (it may be cut but I'd like them to keep it).

- Getting Marg accused and being imprisoned in the sept herself (most shocking moment of the books for me !)

- Walk of Shame and preparing the future trials.

I'm hoping that Jaime's "jetpack" comment means he'll be flying all over Westeros, even if it's a little unrealistic how quickly he travels. His Riverrun storyline is one of my favorites; it's the height of his new character arc (besides burning Cersei's plea for help). In my ideal world, it would go down like this (if Dorne is unavoidable):

Now that Cersei is the Lady of the Rock, the Iron Bank will come to her for gold that she recently found out she doesn't have, so she'll have Tommen use eminent domain to take over Littlefinger's whorehouse and working her back off to mine gold her way. Unfortunately, this will cause problems with Jaime, since he won't let anybody else sleep with her, and he doesn't have money to pay her. Fortunately, they find Littelfinger's Wand of Teleportation from season 2 (in season 3 and 4 he's on a boat), so Cersei starts sending Jaime anywhere but where she is.

Why are you blaming Crasterfuck on Michelle McLaran? If you have a problem with the writing you have a problem with the writing. The director had no control on that front.

EDIT: I think episode 4 of season 4 was really smooth and well executed, and I give her props to that.

Sorry for the lack of links.

It turns out I was wrong about Michelle Maclaren :crying: . Misread something that said she simply had directed 4 episodes. http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/06/director-michelle-maclaren-signs-deal-with-hbo . Sorry to get everyone's hopes up (including my own).

Not everybody's -- glad to hear this. Yes, I hated the Crasterfck that much.

Archived