Season Five Casting

Skywarpgold

I think he had one truly terrible scene (which has somehow become a meme...god knows why anyone found Karl compelling), but the rest was pretty decent. And what's more is he's happy to discuss the decisions he's made and is quite open about all of it. The trial scene was practically the book come to life. From what I've noticed, his episodes usually keep the sexposition to a minimum.

I think it's easy for us to only remember Craster's from Episode 4, but there was a lot that was really good about it. He gave us Ser Pounce! As for King WW, I have a feeling that call was out of his hands.

D&D wrote the Craster's Keep scene.

I think he had one truly terrible scene (which has somehow become a meme...god knows why anyone found Karl compelling), but the rest was pretty decent. And what's more is he's happy to discuss the decisions he's made and is quite open about all of it. The trial scene was practically the book come to life. From what I've noticed, his episodes usually keep the sexposition to a minimum.

I think it's easy for us to only remember Craster's from Episode 4, but there was a lot that was really good about it. He gave us Ser Pounce! As for King WW, I have a feeling that call was out of his hands.

Yeah I mean we don't know how much exactly is dictated by the showrunners. Craster's stuff wasn't very good, but at this point, so long as something doesn't ruin my favorite characters, I consider myself a happy girl.

Yara at the Dreadfort was decent? I rate it the worst scene of the season...ofc, the Crasterfck (which was also at least partially Cogman's fault) scenes are defintely in the top 5 for ass-badness (ass opposed to being bad-ass).

It created buy-in to her character, as well as allowing her to learn what a lost cause Theon was (setting up her Kingsmoot decision). Cogman said in an interview how sad he was to learn that we read that as Yara being afraid of dogs (I never did), because that was really supposed to be her "not worth it" moment (Theon bit her beforehand). I really think it worked out fine, especially since we knew her journey would have to amount to nothing. The other option is to have no mention of her until next year, and then assume she just doesn't care about her brother when she tries to become queen.

I can't excuse the background rape in the Craster scene (fuck them 'til they're dead), but Cogman was told about this plot, and his whole job for scripting it was just to make these guys seem really bad, to hype its episode 5 conclusion. He even tried to make Karl an understandable character (which some people really loved, somehow). And truthfully, I liked it. I would have preferred them sticking to the books and having CH take care of the mutineers and then Jon & the NW facing the wildlings throughout the season. But they did this to 1) make Jon seem like more of a leader, and 2) make Bran's story slightly more interesting. I'd say it succeeded in both.

EDIT:

D&D wrote the Craster's Keep scene.

Oh really? I listened to an interview from Cogman about his episodes, but I didn't remember that part. I stand by what I said though. Disgusting use of sexual violence, kind of cliched writing (Karl just didn't work for me), and a plot that overall was kind of smart of them.

EDIT#2

This article says it was Cogman, except for Karl's monologue: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-writer-unpleasant-scenes-699232

As he explains it, "We had to establish very quickly that horrible things have been going on." So that explains why it was so in your face. I don't love it, but the arc overall worked, IMO. And it was D&D's idea.

Aaanyway, back to S5, from that new interview, we know that Graves is taking time off GoT next year/ Neil Marshall hasn't been called for anything yet. We also know David Nutter is getting E9 and E10, and Michelle Maclaren is directing 4 episodes.

This is directing, not casting news, but it does seem to indicate a lack of a major battle next year.

It created buy-in to her character, as well as allowing her to learn what a lost cause Theon was (setting up her Kingsmoot decision). Cogman said in an interview how sad he was to learn that we read that as Yara being afraid of dogs (I never did), because that was really supposed to be her "not worth it" moment (Theon bit her beforehand). I really think it worked out fine, especially since we knew her journey would have to amount to nothing. The other option is to have no mention of her until next year, and then assume she just doesn't care about her brother when she tries to become queen.

I can't excuse the background rape in the Craster scene (fuck them 'til they're dead), but Cogman was told about this plot, and his whole job for scripting it was just to make these guys seem really bad, to hype its episode 5 conclusion. He even tried to make Karl an understandable character (which some people really loved, somehow). And truthfully, I liked it. I would have preferred them sticking to the books and having CH take care of the mutineers and then Jon & the NW facing the wildlings throughout the season. But they did this to 1) make Jon seem like more of a leader, and 2) make Bran's story slightly more interesting. I'd say it succeeded in both.

I didn't say the Yara scene wasn't supposed to accomplish anything, I just the think it was horribly written and executed. To be fair, it was shot so badly that it looked like stuff was cut from the script, but without seeing Cogman's full script, I'll never know, so I have to judge based on what I saw. Part of the reason I think it was the worst scene of the season was that it was the *only* Ironborn scene this season, and last season's finale had Yara giving this bad-ass motivational speech, then nothing until episode 6's weaksauce.

And the background rape was the least of the Crasterfck's problems, the whole thing (about a third of two consecutive episodes) was just utterly bad writing, acting, and directing. It was painful to watch, it was that bad. The only good thing is that since nothing of consequence actually happened, it will be easy to skip if I ever rewatch this season.

So these scenes may have worked for you, but based on them, I now consider Cogman's name attached to anything as negative selling point.

I tend to agree. But I think that they either haven't made a final decision or they are keeping her in.

Well at this point they have to have made this decision, since the writing for season 5 is done. We'll see in a year I guess, with maybe some hints in the meantime.

Aaanyway, back to S5, from that new interview, we know that Graves is taking time off GoT next year/ Neil Marshall hasn't been called for anything yet. We also know David Nutter is getting E9 and E10, and Michelle Maclaren is directing 4 episodes.

This is directing, not casting news, but it does seem to indicate a lack of a major battle next year.

I'm glad about more Maclaren.

And I have to say this sounds strange. They keep repeating 7 seasons is the plan, I would've expected some TWoW elements (such as at least one battle)

Michelle Mclaran directing four episodes? Where is this detail, I missed it! Anyway, I'm very happy. Regardless of the material in her two episodes this season (which is very controversial) I think her episodes where directed really well. The flow was perfect, the acting good as ever. The shots, fantastic for TV. Very happy. Hopefully she doesn't break under the pressure (Alec Graves did a bit in season 4).

Well at this point they have to have made this decision, since the writing for season 5 is done. We'll see in a year I guess, with maybe some hints in the meantime.

I'm glad about more Maclaren.

And I have to say this sounds strange. They keep repeating 7 seasons is the plan, I would've expected some TWoW elements (such as at least one battle)

The battle of Winterfell doesn't seem like it's going to be of Meereen-Blackwater-the Wall scale (as in, it could happen in like 15 minutes tops), and I am confident that they could include it. Remember, David Nutter did the sack of Yunkai rather well. This will be of a much bigger scale, but my point stands that he can do battle scenes. Also, they'll have to put Stannis's fate in a cliffhanger to create maximum impact from the Pink Letter. I assume they'll reveal Stannis is alive in the finale though.

So my guess for episode 9 scenes:

-Battle outside Winterfell

-The reopening of the Daznak Pit

-Cersei gets captured (though that could happen a bit earlier)

-Arya's first contract assassination and changing her face

EDIT: and as for Stoneheart, D&D said the first drafts for the scripts are almost done. That means that they could still have two alternatives for Brienne's storyline (as in one with Stobeheart and one with Berric replacing her, or something like that). But yeah, most likely they've already decided. And if they'd have cut her I see no reason not to come out and say it.

So I'll remain hopeful.

Well I just hope that they will fianlly let go of Tyrion in 9 episodes rule and give some screen time to everything goin on in Dorne Riverlands Winterfell Iron Islands and Meeren ( I know season 4 just had no chance avoid any of the Tyrion scenes I'v read the books :P )

He was in only eight episodes this season, so that's a start on your wish.

Michelle Maclaren is boss, so I couldn't be happier that she's directing four episodes.

Nutter gets two, Neil Marshall and Alex Graves are out, D&D usually get an episode to direct, so that leaves three. Who's left? Sakharov? Minahan?

I didn't say the Yara scene wasn't supposed to accomplish anything, I just the think it was horribly written and executed. To be fair, it was shot so badly that it looked like stuff was cut from the script, but without seeing Cogman's full script, I'll never know, so I have to judge based on what I saw. Part of the reason I think it was the worst scene of the season was that it was the *only* Ironborn scene this season, and last season's finale had Yara giving this bad-ass motivational speech, then nothing until episode 6's weaksauce.

I smell some course correction there. Seems to me they included that sole Yara-Balon scene at the end of S3 meaning to follow it up in a more thorough fashion this season. A year later, when they finally came around to writing Season 4, they changed their minds and didn't quite know what to do with that dangling plot thread and came up with a single scene to tie loose ends. At least, that's what it looks like to me. I sincerely doubt *that* was the planned payoff all along.

Happy if it's true that MacLaren is directing 4 episodes! Won't be surprised if she ends up directing a big feature film in the future. Especially Marvel who likes to hire talented TV directors (Alan Taylor one of them).

The battle of Winterfell doesn't seem like it's going to be of Meereen-Blackwater-the Wall scale (as in, it could happen in like 15 minutes tops), and I am confident that they could include it. Remember, David Nutter did the sack of Yunkai rather well. This will be of a much bigger scale, but my point stands that he can do battle scenes. Also, they'll have to put Stannis's fate in a cliffhanger to create maximum impact from the Pink Letter. I assume they'll reveal Stannis is alive in the finale though.

So my guess for episode 9 scenes:

-Battle outside Winterfell

-The reopening of the Daznak Pit

-Cersei gets captured (though that could happen a bit earlier)

-Arya's first contract assassination and changing her face

EDIT: and as for Stoneheart, D&D said the first drafts for the scripts are almost done. That means that they could still have two alternatives for Brienne's storyline (as in one with Stobeheart and one with Berric replacing her, or something like that). But yeah, most likely they've already decided. And if they'd have cut her I see no reason not to come out and say it.

So I'll remain hopeful.

Let's hope so, because they sort of have to keep things moving.

And agreed about your general outline for ep9, though I think it'll be WoS for Cersei.

Re. LS : I honestly would not understand if they cut her and gave her role to the BwB :it is basically the same but with much less emotional resonance.

It just occurred to me, what the hell is the point of Gilly being shown so much if there not going to do the switch with Mance's kid? Its bad enough they spend so much time on her and Sam in episode 9, but now it seems like a waste since theres nothing important for her to do.

I think they must be planning to do something with Gilly. My theory is that Gilly and Sam will end up in Bravos (Oldtown just won't exist) and Gilly and Arya may interact while Arya is in training. I know Gilly / Arya isn't a character pairing we've all been daydreaming about, but its better than Arya hanging out with extras and it could be cool.

I think they must be planning to do something with Gilly. My theory is that Gilly and Sam will end up in Bravos (Oldtown just won't exist) and Gilly and Arya may interact while Arya is in training. I know Gilly / Arya isn't a character pairing we've all been daydreaming about, but its better than Arya hanging out with extras and it could be cool.

Braavos makes a lot sense to me. Oldtown would be a whole new city, which means new filming locations/sets.

Archived