Tennis IV

Jeor

Federer is one of the only top players that consistently tries to win smaller tournaments when he plays them. As long as the likes of Murray and Nadal get a feel for the surface they are playing on then I don't think it really matters to them getting knocked out of a 250 when there is a 2000 point tournament looming.

• 2 weeks later...

Pumped for Wimby! It's the perfect lead-in to the early World Cup matches. I don't have any strong feelings on who I think will win either men's or women's and so my picks have lead me to put $10 AUD on Sportsbet to win a potential $11,000 AUD.

Women's

Ana Ivanovic: She's been the model (no pun intended) of consistency the past year and half and it's about time she turns these 4R/QF appearances into something like 2009 Ana. Her first grass court title in Birmingham a couple of weeks back shows she does have the game for grass and will give her huge confidence coming in. A pretty decent draw for the first week. Should overpower Jankovic, but a Halep QF could go either way.

Men's

Milos Raonic: Also been a Mr QF man for the last couple of years. This is the year the big 4 could be rocked. Nadal is taken down a few notches on grass, Murray's form leaves a big ?, Fed is over the hill, Djokovic has no real advantage over the others right now. Raonic's massive serve and solid volleying makes him the one to beat this year for me.

Men's

Milos Raonic: Also been a Mr QF man for the last couple of years. This is the year the big 4 could be rocked. Nadal is taken down a few notches on grass, Murray's form leaves a big ?, Fed is over the hill, Djokovic has no real advantage over the others right now. Raonic's massive serve and solid volleying makes him the one to beat this year for me.

I agree Raonic could go far. The grass could still help cause a few upsets, even if Wimbledon's surface has generally slowed down a lot over the years.

Serve volleying great for week 1, then useless in week 2 where it's all about baselinjng with a decent serve and return. It's like, if Rafa gets to week 2 he becomes a favourite but could easily go out in Round 1. The 2 halves of the tournament are essentially different surfaces

I want Federer to win it this year. Badly.
I stil love how he plays. I like his personality, his class.
But mosly it's because he is the most attractive player to watch, and when he's one, he's really on and it's such a show.

I loved that first round match, where just dominated completely. Take it this year Fed, even when it gets much harder.

I didn't realise that Nadal had OCD. I knew he liked his bottles to be neat, but that's not full proof really. John McEnroe just pointed out that he touches his faces the same way before every point, and I must have seen him do it a million times and not noticed. It's literally before every point, second serve or what-have-you. That probably accounts for why the time between his serves is toeing the line to being against regulations, it averaged 25s this game I think. I hope he beats Rosol.

Oh yeah, it takes him an age. Most players have ways they bounce the ball before serves. Nadals is just a little more extreme.

Kyrgios will be the next big Australian player. Tomic has never followed through with his potential and I don't think he's ever going to make it with his attitude.

Kyrgios on the other hand has determination and fighting qualities - he's already played a couple of long Grand Slam matches, including this one where he saved 9 match points. Not sure about his attitude off the court but having not heard any bad things, that's at least a start. Plus he has a couple of legitimate, Tour-level weapons in his big serve and forehand. He will need to improve his backhand to break into the top levels, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 30 player in the next 12 months.

In other news, Rosol played really well in the first half of the match against Nadal. I don't understand how someone who hits the ball so cleanly and has plenty of weapons (he was scorching aces and winners off both sides) has not made it to the big time. A cautionary tale for Kyrgios, I suppose.

Yeah, I agree Jeor. In terms of talent there probably isn't much difference between Kyrgios and Tomic, but there is a gulf of difference between their attitudes and heart. In terms of off-court for Kyrgios. He has sort of a confident swagger about him which outsiders could see as cocky and a bit in your face. But in any interview i've seen of him he comes across as very likeable, well-spoken, knowledgeable, and respectful. All the Aussie legends speak highly of him, and he seems to enjoy being around the Davis Cup environment.

2 rounds in and nothing to really indicate anything other than the norm so far. Nadal is making a habit out of dropping the first set (is it 5 grand slam matches in a row now?), Djokovic always has close matches with Radek so there's not much to read into that, Murray and Fed cruising. Dmitrov/Raonic/Nishikori of the next gen are cruising. Serena/Sharapova/Li/Radwanska/Kvitova/Halep all untroubled. Lisicki vs Ivanovic best of the 3rd round matches.

Janowicz was over the top in terms of his vocals that last match, and that's saying something when Hewitt is your opponent. He was basically screaming "Yes!" after every point he won. Part of it might have been to wind up Hewitt, who is known for doing a bit of the same thing, but Janowicz was doing it all match, not just in the fifth set when it's more understandable.

Rafa down a set again, he's making a habit of losing that first set. I don't think Kukushkin will beat him though, he's way too inexperienced and won that breaker with a string of winners he's unlikely to be able to keep up. I don't think these matches are really hurting Nadal though, he'll be right once he can get into the second week when the courts have slowed, dried out and become easier to play on.

Archived