Tennis IV

Jeor

I want Federer to win it this year. Badly.

I stil love how he plays. I like his personality, his class.

But mosly it's because he is the most attractive player to watch, and when he's one, he's really on and it's such a show.

I loved that first round match, where just dominated completely. Take it this year Fed, even when it gets much harder.

exactly how i feel, i can admire nadals brutality, but i can't love it.

I'd also like seeing Federer win it, if only because I'd like to see the faces of all tennis "experts" in Serbia saying Federer is a crappy player who's won most of his trophies because of lack of high-quality rivals.

I'm not making that up, that's the sentiment of huge part of tennis spectators and fans in Serbia, though reporters and TV commentators don't say stupid things like that.

And Serena is out in three sets by Cornet. I called an early Serena exit on the previous page! Her movement is really terrible and dropshots just kill her. Now this opens up the field a little with Li Na also out. Sharapova, Bouchard, Halep are the main contenders. The lower half of the draw isn't as strong, you've got Kvitova and Radwanska among the established top tenners but that's about it.

I'd also like seeing Federer win it, if only because I'd like to see the faces of all tennis "experts" in Serbia saying Federer is a crappy player who's won most of his trophies because of lack of high-quality rivals.

I'm not making that up, that's the sentiment of huge part of tennis spectators and fans in Serbia, though reporters and TV commentators don't say stupid things like that.

Amen... I can verify Baxus' report. They are very snide... In general, our "experts" are being overly nasty towards Federer... And, "if you know day by its morning" (I like translating our phrases into English, like literal translation :)), he could win...

One thing I hate about Nadal is his over-excitement, and cave man behavior. Simply, after the second set with Rosol, which he won, he behaved like he crawled his way, instead of being grateful that luck was on his side...

What I love about Nadal is his workrate.

The guy's won everything there is to be won, and he's still training more than anyone else on the tour.

For example, after beating Djokovic in this year's Rolan Garros finals, Nadal went back to practice, preparing for grass season.

On the other hand, Djokovic rounded up his mates and went to Ibiza for a week-long vacation.

Personality-wise Federer seems like a classy guy but you're always wary of media images that can give you a false impression, so I'll stick to on-court behaviour and playing style.

Purely in terms of that, Federer is my favourite for his elegant style and one-hander. He is the complete opposite of Nadal; Rafa is all about power and leveraging your body to the max, while Federer is much more elegant and appears graceful and effortless in his play. I do still enjoy watching Rafa though, because you're sure to see some great shots and points whenever he's playing.

Djokovic and Murray are more ho-hum to watch. They don't have the style of Federer or the raw power and excitement of Nadal.

Outside of the Big Four, I like watching Wawrinka and Gasquet for their amazing one-handed backhands, and Berdych for his clean power.

I was watching that Dolgopoliv-Dmitrov match, Dolgopolov is awesome to watch when he's playing well. Especially his serve, he has such an amazing service motion. I like that he's a bit unorthodox. Overall I think Rafa is the most entertaining player.

Yup. Dimitrov looks to be a real class act and he has a nice style to watch. I wish him success.

Dolgopolov is an interesting player as well, huge talent but with ups and downs. I figured the match against Dimitrov would be close since he has been strong lately.

Personality-wise Federer seems like a classy guy but you're always wary of media images that can give you a false impression, so I'll stick to on-court behaviour and playing style.

Purely in terms of that, Federer is my favourite for his elegant style and one-hander. He is the complete opposite of Nadal; Rafa is all about power and leveraging your body to the max, while Federer is much more elegant and appears graceful and effortless in his play. I do still enjoy watching Rafa though, because you're sure to see some great shots and points whenever he's playing.

Djokovic and Murray are more ho-hum to watch. They don't have the style of Federer or the raw power and excitement of Nadal.

Outside of the Big Four, I like watching Wawrinka and Gasquet for their amazing one-handed backhands, and Berdych for his clean power.

Largely agreed. Outside of the top 4 Wawrinka and Gasquet are my favorites to see as well due to those amazing backhands. On their days, Tsonga and Monfils can also be terrific to watch. Obviously they are inconsistent, they sometimes they have such highs. In the top 4 though, I like Nadal slightly less than Djokovic, who at least has some flair on the days that he really wants to give a beating. Nadal, yeah he has that as well. Murray is less spectacular. At his best, he just looks very composed and competent, and there is something to that as well.

Yes, it would be such a great crown to his spectacular career if he could manage it just one more time, just like Sampras did in New York. He could actually end it right there if he won.

But I do worry it's not gonna happen. I have an impression that every time Federer looks especially strong and motivated in the early rounds of the slam, he actually falls to the first real contender, usually around quarters, semis at the most. And he still got his Nemezis to beat before he could reach the final, unless Raonic could do something about it...

Federer potentially has Wawrinka in the quarterfinal, but otherwise seems a pretty straightforward passage to the semi.

I agree if he wins it now he will probably retire this year. He has a growing number of kids and I doubt the touring life will be sustainable for much longer if he wants to spend time with his family.

His chances against Nadal in the semi are probably not good but yes maybe Raonic could get Nadal before it comes to that.

Of the other potential quarterfinal matches I'd be interested to see Murray/Dimitrov.

John Isner is by far and away the worst top 10 player I've ever seen. You take away the fact he takes advantage of being 7ft tall with good serving and he would not even be close to cracking the top 200. Who the hell wants to see an Isner match when the score is always 7-6 6-7 7-6 with no breaks of serve. The only way he ever wins is eventually his opponent will give him 1 or 2 points from a double fault or unforced error at a bad time. I get really annoyed when I see him beating talented guys who can actually play tennis.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. His lack of good movement and most other tennis skills is also a direct implication of him being 7ft tall, so not a big surprise here. Anyway, even if he manages to beat Feliciano Lopez, he has no chance against Stan I guess.

In the women's tournament, the lower part of the draw has opened nicely for Isia Radwańska, I hope she will make it to the final. On the other hand, she has a long history of defeats against players she should have and many times before had beaten. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if she even lost to Makarova or Safarova.

Edit: Erghhh. I know, I jinxed it.

Isner's very much a one-dimensional player but he's worked out how to do his one thing well. Although I agree it doesn't make him super exciting to watch, there are plenty of guys who've tread that path before.

Fed is having it way too easy this tournament. Worried that when he has to meet Wawrinka and then maybe Nadal that they will already have those tougher matches behind them to draw upon and Fed won't be able to mentally click into gear in time.

It's really weird Gears. I've never known them to do it this way where they can't decide which court to show so they show patches of several. It's dumb because in an attempt to show crucial periods of all the matches they always end up missing them in others and you can never get fully invested in any. I'm fine with them just choosing say Centre Court and showing only that, and if I prefer another match then that's my bad luck.

Fed is having it way too easy this tournament.

Yes, I've got the same worries. It's not the first time he starts a slam looking great, and then something breaks along the way. Robredo doesn't have a tool to break him, but Wawrinka and especially Nadal and Djokovic certainly have. Having said that, I still believe he can make it one final time.

Archived