(Show spoilers) how could they kill...

I thought they would die and wasn't wrong...and their deaths added a tragic impact that the books didn't have at all, which I liked. If they were just going to leave the story by being sent away, anyway, better for them to die when it matters.

That was my take on it as well. Grenn's death was also pretty epic. I was sorry to see them go, but since they were just gonna get shipped off anyhow, I don't think it matters in what manner they exit the story, so I am ok with their deaths adding more drama/tragedy to Jon's narrative.

I really was praying that they didn't kill tormund...I knew grenn was dead as son as jon said hold the tunnel no matter what. I'm assuming ions relationship with Ed will improve along with more face time with Sam.

They didn't kill Tormund, they took him prisoner. He is to replace Val, from the books.

They didn't kill Tormund, they took him prisoner. He is to replace Val, from the books.

Looking forward to seeing Stannis command Jon to marry Val if he wants to be Lord of Winterfell, then. Tormund the Wildling Princess!

Seriously, I get your point. He'll play the role of Jon's intermediary with the Wildlings (that is, if someone gets Maester Aemon to treat Tormund's wounds before he dies of infection; and oh yes, get those arrows out in the first place). I would think they would get someone to play Val, though; she does seem to be an important character at the Wall and ply into more than one arc - Jon, Gilly/baby, Mance, possibly Shireen, and Selyse's knights (who ignite the riot in which Jon is attacked, because one of them tried to steal Val and Wun Wun objected).

Val ! Val ! Val ! We need Val !!!!!! (yeah, yeah, fan crush I know ! But I still have some more pragmatic reasons to really adore her character and hope she makes the cut and becomes more relevant later on !)

With the deaths of Grenn and Pyp, the show has some room to cast at least four new characters to the Wall storyline (not major all of them, since we'll already get Stan, Mel, Selyse and Shireen, manning the ranks) :

- Val.

- Bowen Marsh equivalent. At least one new important brother.

- Varamyr (who we know is being cast).

- A Queen's Man (Justin Massey seems the most logical choice).

I like that the scared boy found his courage but too bad it didn't go through her head. Cause the Show Ygritte is always saying John Snow knows nothing and she is the one dying in his arms. Shae and Ygritte were annoying but that could be actor performance.

Val ! Val ! Val ! We need Val !!!!!! (yeah, yeah, fan crush I know ! But I still have some more pragmatic reasons to really adore her character and hope she makes the cut and becomes more relevant later on !)

With the deaths of Grenn and Pyp, the show has some room to cast at least four new characters to the Wall storyline (not major all of them, since we'll already get Stan, Mel, Selyse and Shireen, manning the ranks)

I'm holding out on hope for Val, too. If she's cut, it'll be the first time I'm genuinely upset that they didn't cast a character.

I'm holding out on hope for Val, too. If she's cut, it'll be the first time I'm genuinely upset that they didn't cast a character.

Am I the only one who doesn't see why she's a needed character (from what we've seen in the story so far)?

Totally agree... it wouldn't have taken much to mention him a couple of times....

If nothing else, at least Grenn's sword should have been sticking out of the giant's mouth, a la Noye heroics

But they had to use his (Donal Noye) character lines back in season 1 to begin to make us love show Tyrion.

Boy those guys were pretty stupidly equipped in the tunnel. The NW has no spears? Crossbows?

Seeing as Grenn & Pyp feature marginally in the remaining books, they probably had a choice of either killing the characters off now in dramatic fashion or losing the actors later down the line. Although, they've had no trouble putting other characters on a bus and never mentioning them again *cough*Greatjon*cough*.

=PS=

I don't watch the show. Stopped after S2 when I realized where it was headed, but I do enjoy reading the nitpick threads, which only confirm what I always feared.

Seeing as Grenn & Pyp feature marginally in the remaining books, they probably had a choice of either killing the characters off now in dramatic fashion or losing the actors later down the line. Although, they've had no trouble putting other characters on a bus and never mentioning them again *cough*Greatjon*cough*.

=PS=

I don't watch the show. Stopped after S2 when I realized where it was headed, but I do enjoy reading the nitpick threads, which only confirm what I always feared.

Isn't that like refusing to go to a particular restaurant and then forming an opinion on it from the letters sent to their complaints department??!

Isn't that like refusing to go to a particular restaurant and then forming an opinion on it from the letters sent to their complaints department??!

What? You don't make up your mind about something you don't watch then find an Internet forum where people agree with you to prove you're right?

Am I the only one who doesn't see why she's a needed character (from what we've seen in the story so far)?

Well, she isn't really important so far - but then I don't what her end game will be. I just love her character.

Haha, wow.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'd already formulated an opinion of the show after Season 2 when it became apparent that D&D were more than willing to interpolate their own glorified fanfiction. All of the pointless and unnecessary changes soured the experience for me and I knew it was only going to get worse from that point on. Do I need to actually watch Jaime rape Cersei in the show to know that's what happened? Or any other egregious deviation that takes place?

I don't see what the big deal is. I'd already formulated an opinion of the show after Season 2 when it became apparent that D&D were more than willing to interpolate their own glorified fanfiction. All of the pointless and unnecessary changes soured the experience for me and I knew it was only going to get worse from that point on. Do I need to actually watch Jaime rape Cersei in the show to know that's what happened? Or any other egregious deviation that takes place?

Frankly, yes, considering that there's ongoing controversy about that scene and how closely it matches the scene and intentions of the main players in the book.

How would you know how egregious anything is based on someone else's opinion of the show? Basic fact is that you made up your mind long ago on the show, and are simply looking for others who confirm your view on it. If you don't like the show, fine, and if you don't want to watch it, that's fine, too...hell, if you watched the show JUST to criticize it, that's okay- but you cannot criticize something you have not watched because you don't KNOW how it actually played out. And coming into a thread where people are criticizing things isn't exactly a truthful representation of what's on the screen.

I agree, I've been getting yelled at on these forums for feeling that way for a while now.

Archived