Bakker XXVII: Shimeh by way of Momemn

Rhom

Because he needs more than himself and Maithanet to unite the three seas? The fanim can defeat the invading inrithi but can't unite the entire region through occupation. Moengus needs something to move beyond inrithism and fanimry to create a coalition capable of fightng the consult.

Another thing I don't get is why Kellhus destroyed the Cishaurim outright. He could've have found a way to subdue them and use their powers in the Great Ordeal. Or at the very least he could've captured one alive for questioning in regards to Moenghus and whatever metaphysics the Cishaurim know that Kellhus does not.

But perhaps Kellhus didn't need to know much. He already deluded himself into thinking that he understood the metaphysics of the Cishaurim completely, and he already grasped TTT. He needed to know what the No-God is and once he realized that Moe has no idea he killed him?

Another thing I don't get is why Kellhus destroyed the Cishaurim outright. He could've have found a way to subdue them and use their powers in the Great Ordeal. Or at the very least he could've captured one alive for questioning in regards to Moenghus and whatever metaphysics the Cishaurim know that Kellhus does not.

How much value was there to the Cishaurim compared to the cost of trying to keep them alive in the middle of an invasion? (And what makes you think that he never tortured any of them?)

When it comes to all the things Kellhus should have done-from female warriors to collecting the Scylvendi- this is always the question.

Because he needs more than himself and Maithanet to unite the three seas? The fanim can defeat the invading inrithi but can't unite the entire region through occupation. Moengus needs something to move beyond inrithism and fanimry to create a coalition capable of fightng the consult.

That was basically my take but I think lockesnow made some good points against it. I'll see if it was in this thread later.

How much value was there to the Cishaurim compared to the cost of trying to keep them alive in the middle of an invasion?

A lot? They're are as powerful as the Scarlet Spires as far as he knows. Which, sure makes it harder to subdue them, but if he had only kept one alive (which was entirely possible for him) he could've interrogated him about Moe, or more importantly, he could have rebuilt the Cishaurim and brought them to fight the Consult with him.

A lot? They're are as powerful as the Scarlet Spires as far as he knows. Which, sure makes it harder to subdue them, but if he had only kept one alive (which was entirely possible for him) he could've interrogated him about Moe, or more importantly, he could have rebuilt the Cishaurim and brought them to fight the Consult with him.

Well, there is one still alive. Meppa, and if I remember correctly Bakker said he would play a huge role in TUC.

Now I'll go back to my ecstatic wanking....lol

Well, there is one still alive. Meppa, and if I remember correctly Bakker said he would play a huge role in TUC.

Don't tell me Kellhus kept him alive on purpose and he will play some role that Kellhus conditioned for him or whatever.

I Don't have a reference. I think it was on his old site or in a interview. They asked a question about who his favorite character was to write about in TUC. He said Meppa, and that he would have bigger role to play. I will look for it, If u demand the quote. But, I can't remember where I read it at. Just struck me as odd, because I didn't think there was much to Meppa. That's why I remember it.

ETA: I am scouring the web trying to find it. I hope I'm not confusing a different character, but I'm almost sure it was Meppa.

your assertion that it woul be entirely possible for Kel to keep the Cish alive I unfounded by any textual evidence. They were the enemy defending Shimeh. What indicates in the text that Kel could have kept them alive and still won the Holy War?

Only one, not all of them. So Kellhus kills all of them except one, and anyone with a Chorae captures the last one. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but with everything Kellhus has been doing throughout the series, this doesn't look that difficult. This is a person who can pull someone else's heart out of his own chest and he couldn't subdue a Cishaurim?

Don't tell me Kellhus kept him alive on purpose and he will play some role that Kellhus conditioned for him or whatever.

Well even though I was wrong about bakkers fav TUC character, there still is one chisuarum alive, Meppa. Somehow that guy made it through. But not by Kellhus's hand. I kinda agree with Triskan, he's either a unidentified missing character (Moe, Cnauir) or something else that will prove to be important to the plot.

your assertion that it woul be entirely possible for Kel to keep the Cish alive I unfounded by any textual evidence. They were the enemy defending Shimeh. What indicates in the text that Kel could have kept them alive and still won the Holy War?

If Fanayal has a pet Cish Kellhus could have one too. Crackpot: Sarl puts out his eyes in the wastes of the Ancient North in a fit of madness; only find that his maniacal passion for the Slog has allowed him to bear the Water.

Only one, not all of them. So Kellhus kills all of them except one, and anyone with a Chorae captures the last one. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but with everything Kellhus has been doing throughout the series, this doesn't look that difficult. This is a person who can pull someone else's heart out of his own chest and he couldn't subdue a Cishaurim?

I misunderstood. Yes ok that sounds possible. I guess it's also possible that Meppa is the conditioned result. Maybe. Seems hokey.

Two quick and random questions:

First, is it generally accepted that Cenei is supposed to be the analogue of Rome, and thus the Nansurium is the analogue for the Byzantine Empire?

Second, do any of the great old northern civilizations pre-Apocalypse have real-world analogies? They seem to be vaguely indicative of stuff like ancient Mesopotamia so far as their historical function, but are there any more direct connections to real-world civilizations?

From the prologue of TDTCB,

"So long as men live, there are crimes!The mans eyes filled with wonder. No, child, he said. Only so long as men are deceived."

Anyone else notice the use of "men" here instead of "Men"? Usually Bakker uses "Men" to mean humans, and "men" to mean adult males.

Here is Aurang to Kellhus:

"To save my soul, hmmm? So long as there are Men, there are crimes. So long as there are crimes, I am damned."

Also, is it possible that the Bardic Priest was connected to the Consult in some way? He was the first to give us their worldview and solution to damnation (which the boy repeats after him in the above quote,) "There are no crimes when no one is left alive." Which is a rephrasing of what Aurang told Kellhus in TTT. Always seemed weird that everyone died of the "plague" aside from him and the one child he molested. Another possibility is that he's an agent of Seswatha who paved the way for the Dunyain's arrival at Ishual.

Archived