[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

Honestly, I enjoyed this episode.

- Jon's meeting with Mance was done well and I'm glad they didn't come to a peace settlement before Stannis attacked (which felt epic in its own right)

- I really did feel Jon's brokeness in all his scenes. There was just a void in his eyes.

- Despite Cersei and Jaime ending the season on good terms, I suspect that won't last long come next season. And to be fair, Jaime didn't knock the White Book off the table, he just pushed it aside.

- You know, you'd think that with a slave trade as expansive as the one in Slaver's Bay, you'd see at least a few white slaves there. It's not like most of them were shown to be white or anything, I think we can tolerate seeing one without calling it whitewashing.

- The fight scene against the wights was more than I was expecting (those things can run now?)

- They could have made Bloodraven look older and frailer and more... appart of the tree to be honest.

- And the look of the Children of the Forest was okey, but I was expecting bigger eyes.

- Brienne vs. the Hound may not be in the books but that still was a stellar fight scene they had.

- I'm glad Jaime and Tyrion departed on good terms. They were always depicted as close brothers in the books and it never stood right with me to have Tyrion start hate him in the end. And concerning Tysha, I'm not going to miss her.

- I do, however, wish they would have worked in the "Wherever whores go" line but have it apply to Shae instead (in the absence of Tysha).

- I am disappointed there was no Lady Stoneheart, especially with the pic Lena Headey posted, but there were enough things done right in the episode to counterbalance that.

- Varys is going with Tyrion!

OK maybe they are intentionally trying to dumb the show down a bit. Poor wildlings got slaughtered standing around, in slo mo no less. Que evil music and a smug king who comes sauntering in to greet the noble Mance, who has seen enough of his people die(including the cannibalistic savages he sent over the wall - wait no...forget them, Stannis is the big problem now).

It's like watching an episode of wrestling. Now I'm a good guy. Now I'm bad again. Now good. Now here comes the chair. Booooo hiss.

1. Biggest missed opportunity EVER!

Obviously, we know D&D don't always follow the books, that is to be expected. However, they were given amazing material for a cliffhanger (Lady Stoneheart) that most TV shows could only dream of having. :bang: I just don't understand why they never seized this opportunity. Too stupid to fathom!

2. The love story of Tyrion and Tysha Shae

He is sorry that he killed her because he loved her...which motivating him to kill Tywin? I don't buy it for one minute. Also, killing her being an act of self defence? The original scene (and Tysha story) was complex, this was simplified and lacked the rawness of the book counterpart. I can't argue with the 'Tyrion whitewashing' argument anymore.

3. Oberyn poisoning the Mountain has been degraded

"If ever there was a man who deserved to die screaming, it was Gregor Clegane" So much for that! He looked pretty peaceful and Qyburn will patch him up stronger than before. Sorry, Oberyn, your vengeance was shitty!

Will the bad guys ever suffer? GRRM gave us this with The Mountain in agonizing pain and for once it felt like justice. He was supposed to be in agony!

Rant over.

The episode was good but the disappointing factors cast a large shadow. It could have been better.

This was planned to be my last episode watching and I'm sticking to it. I don't want the details of the upcoming books spoiled and the series has just become really disappointing to me. It may be good enough for most unsullied but it pales so much to what I pictured from the books that I don't enjoy it. They only get one shot at this and they fucked it up in my eyes. Eat a bag of dicks D&D. You guys suck.

This was planned to be my last episode watching and I'm sticking to it. I don't want the details of the upcoming books spoiled and the series has just become really disappointing to me. It may be good enough for most unsullied but it pales so much to what I pictured from the books that I don't enjoy it. They only get one shot at this and they fucked it up in my eyes. Eat a bag of dicks D&D. You guys suck.

Please. You know you're gonna continue watching, if only to continue your whining.

They butchered this episode - that's basically my nitpick :bang:

1) Gregor Clegane - wtf? Zero justice served (maybe even negative justice, seeing as Gregor looked like a peaceful babe, an infinitely kinder fate than any other end he might have met, had it not been for Oberyn). This one was too much, especially after how they depicted Oberyn's death...

2) Cersei & Tywin, twincest reveal - this is where(ever) my respect for D&D goes (away)... the whole point of this scene is to make us feel kind of sorry for Tywin before he dies - total SELLOUT writing right here... (see Hound v. Brienne for more of it, in the same episode...)

3) Daenarys and Maester Slave - yer an idiot, Dany. One guy (whose loyalties are malicious at best) asks to allow him (but more importantly, thousands of his comrades, none of whom are yet conscious enough of the value of freedom to not be allured by the simple, direct rewards of selling themselves right back into slavery) to open a potentially huge floodgate, and what is your wise decision? Sure, but only for less than a year... what do you think will happen after/during? (although the chaining scene was actually half-decent... kind of hard to mess that up)

4) Bran and Co. - skeletons. REALLY? I suppose D&D could have done it for realism (flesh all gone due to time), but this was actually a scene where creative liberties (i.e. using fleshed-out wights instead) would have highly benefited the scene. Unless, of course, you needed said monsters to fly apart upon entering a certain enchanted tunnel so that you get more oohs and aahs from your TV audience - you know, the way skeletons are perfectly arranged to do... really, now?

(also, does this prove Jojen Paste?)

5) Brienne v. Hound - there was no reason for this scene. Worse yet, D&D did the exact same thing as in Tywin & Cersei's twincest reveal - in order to prep us a la typical predictable GoT, they make us feel somewhat endeared with the Hound ("that's right, I'm protecting her [Arya]") RIGHT BEFORE HE DIES (more or less, anyways lol). So the next time you see a similarly heavy-handed scene setting up sympathy/empathy/pity/etc. for a character, expect said character to die sometime soon...

6) Tyrion: "I wuv my big brother"

Jaime: "I wuv you too, little guy! Go on, escape!"

Tyrion: " Wait a second... I have to ask you about something that happened earlier"

Jaime: *uh-oh look* "...what?"

Tyrion: "...................................................................did you lock the door behind us?"

Jaime: *relieved* "yeah lol"

Tyrion: "I love you so much, bro! You never forget a thing. Also, why do you look so tense? Almost as if you were expecting me to ask about some long lost love, that Father destroyed with your unwilling yet equally culpable help. lol"

Jaime: "er... of course not! haha that's ridiculous. gimme a hug."

later...

Tywin: "Tysha? Who the hell is that?"

Tyrion: "idk either, actually. no matter though. imma shoot you now."

Shae (still alive due to battle adrenaline in background): SHAE ANGRY. SHAE STAB (with pear knife)

jokes aside though, they did the Tyrion/Tywin stuff pretty decently (as decently as is possible without Tysha, anyway)

finally... a moment of silence for Tywin Lannister, master of Westeros and forever *my* lion :thumbsup:

i'm definitely feeling let down after that episode bc D&D hyped it up so much and I feel like they missed big time to make one of the best episodes ever.

-no stannis chant

-insanely fast wight skeletons

-children of the forest fireballs

-no mention of tysha and wherever whores go

-the hound vs brienne fight was decent but i feel like the hound would wipe the floor with her

-no tywin doesn't shit gold line

-bloodraven looked like a crusty old man

-and no LS as the end scene just makes no sense

The children of the forest have grenades.

That's pretty much what I'm stuck on right now.

But other things:

Bloodraven didn't look....Bloodraven-y.

The biggest issue though has got to be Tywin/Cersei/Jamie/Tyrion. I don't even know what that was. Cersei telling Tywin? Tyrion not telling Jamie about Cersei? Jamie not telling Tyrion about Tysha? Tyrion kills Shae in self defense? Mmk. What the heck is Jamie's arc next season if he doesn't know that Cersei has been screwing everyone?

Also: so the Hound and Arya waltz into the Vale where Arya announces herself and then they just...go? Wut.

1-1000: No Lady Stoneheart. I still feel very depressed about it.

1001: The rushed Jaime Tyrion encounter that meant no Tysha. Tysha herself wasn't that important, but the repurcussions of Tyrion hearing that Tysha wasn't a whore are huge. They escalate Tywin hatred by a thousand and the breakup of the bromance is vital for Tyrion's dark arc as it is for Jaime's anti-cersei arc. WTF D&D.

1002: Most of the 'big' scenes live up to the books, but Tywin and Shae's deaths didn't. Peter Dinklage was given little to work with due to the lack of emotional build up, and it shows. There needed to be more hatred in Tyrion's interaction with Tywin and less catatonia.

1003: Stannis scene could have been so much more triumphant. The music was the main let down. It was jarring to see the night's watch fundamnetally being saved, but with villain music in the background.

1004: I don't really enjoy Stephen Dillane. I feel like his lack of passion for the character comes through and I just can't help but think he's not feeling it. Though on a meta level i guess that's very Stannis lol.

1005: The fight between wights and Bran&co. CGI wasn't amazing, felt awkward and the wights did not seem like wights.

1006: Emilia Clarke's acting in the scene saying 'where's drogon'. Its becoming a joke in my family.

1007: The genuinely cruel teasing of Catelyn being dead when Brienne saw Houndrya

1008: Quite nitpicky but I felt the giving of the coin was too rushed haha.

Though its ironic that the scene I enjoyed the most was the scene i was looking forward to the least, which was Brienne and the Hound. Great scene.

Archived