Wow, I never noticed that v. 6

Killing the Miller's boys springs to mind. Having anyone who knew about the Miller's boys killed was pretty grim too. And making little Beth Cassel stand with a noose around her neck in view of her father.

I've thought about the miller boys debacle. Didn't Ramsay (as Reek) come up with the idea and carry out the actual act?

I've thought about the miller boys debacle. Didn't Ramsay (as Reek) come up with the idea and carry out the actual act?

I don't recqll who actually did it, but does it make it any less contemptible if Theon only observed? Not really

I don't recqll who actually did it, but does it make it any less contemptible if Theon only observed? Not really

No. I was trying to remember the actual circumstances. I generally reread different sections and chapters of the books instead of all sequentially. I wonder if Theon even preapproved the act.

No. I was trying to remember the actual circumstances. I generally reread different sections and chapters of the books instead of all sequentially. I wonder if Theon even preapproved the act.

He did. "Reek" sort of sidles up to him and is like "Hey, I think we can find the kids at the mill" and Theon is confused--why would the Starks be there?--and then the light dawns. It's not explicit but implicit.

I am sure it was Ramsay that thought of killing the millers boys and committed the act as well

Theon is probably my favorite character so i may be a bit bias but i think he gets blamed to much for what happened in the North, I would say he caused more damage in the south forcing Robb to march back north

That scene where he punishes the Ironborn for raping after he took winterfell would have made Stannis proud.

I recently read the hilarious quote by Dolorous Edd of the tedious complaints of the Dead ('my gravestone should be larger') and started to wonder, why the Nightswatch doesn't have a graveyard. They have a history of 8000 years of lifelong services, whole generation lived and died at the Wall.

Then I realized that they burn their dead in order to prevent them rising again. It's just logical.

Interesting. How about a memorial area for the ashes and with inscriptions on stone with names and info about various feats and outstanding service mentions at least?

Viserys told Dany that "the dragon doesn't get ill" so she walks around the people with bloody flux.

But we know that a bunch of Targaryens died during the Great Spring Sickness.

Viserys really knows nothing about Targaryen history...Good job misleading your sister idiot(Dany shows symptoms of the flux in her last chapter)

What atrocities ?. He took Winterfell with basically no bloodshed he didn't ever do any harm to Bran and Rickon,

He punished his own men for raping and the stuff with the orphan boys was Ramsays idea and he did the deed all Theon really did was not object (And he was getting played by Ramsay the whole time in Winterfell)

I always thought the worst thing Theon actually did at Winterfell was blame Farlan for the Ironborn murders and kill him.

I agree with many of the above posts. Killing and skinning the Miller's boys and pretending they were the sons of the beloved lord, was pretty awful. He killed several of his own men to preserve the secret. Including Faren's botched execution, which was more poor luck/skill, than anything. One of his his worst crimes was releasing Reek/Ramsay, which he obviously couldn't have predicted the outcome of. But which still has had devestating consquences. One would think that he might figure that guy was in the cells for a reason, though.

I agree with many of the above posts. Killing and skinning the Miller's boys and pretending they were the sons of the beloved lord, was pretty awful. He killed several of his own men to preserve the secret. Including Faren's botched execution, which was more poor luck/skill, than anything. One of his his worst crimes was releasing Reek/Ramsay, which he obviously couldn't have predicted the outcome of. But which still has had devestating consquences. One would think that he might figure that guy was in the cells for a reason, though.

Beth. Poor Beth Cassel. She suffered the same fate as Edmure, only at such a young age :crying:

Interesting. How about a memorial area for the ashes and with inscriptions on stone with names and info about various feats and outstanding service mentions at least?

Well there was this hall of shields mentioned, where all the sigils of their highborn members are stored. but it seems that they realized early on that the Wall will need to stand for a while and that they don't want to make half the Gift to a graveyard for millions of soldiers. And I don't know what kind of feats they want to memorize after all. Sure, there was the Age of Heroes and the Nights King, but the rest of their history seems to be a dull affair with only sporadic Wildling incidents here and there...

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I recently started my first re-read of the series. Just finished book 1.

In a Sansa chapter she recalls Janos Slynt kicking Ned down and holding up his head after Ilyn strikes it off and wishes that "some day a hero will come and chop off his head".

Upon my first read of book 5 when Jon kills Slynt I hand't recalled this at all. But now it jumped out of me. Key words = "some hero".

I recently read the hilarious quote by Dolorous Edd of the tedious complaints of the Dead ('my gravestone should be larger') and started to wonder, why the Nightswatch doesn't have a graveyard. They have a history of 8000 years of lifelong services, whole generation lived and died at the Wall.

Then I realized that they burn their dead in order to prevent them rising again. It's just logical.

I don't think they burned their dead until recently. If they had, those two wighted Crows wouldn't have had a chance to attack. I think maybe they send the bodies back to their families/next of kin.

Wasn't there a mention of a lichyard somewhere? I recall in the chapter where Sam is preparing to leave the CB and Jon says something like 'meet me at down by the lichyard'. So there must be some place where dead are buried, unless it's just a symbolic place.

I don't think they burned their dead until recently. If they had, those two wighted Crows wouldn't have had a chance to attack. I think maybe they send the bodies back to their families/next of kin.

They only stored those two because Maester Aemon wanted to find out why they weren't rotting. Like everything else about the White Walkers, they may have forgotten the reason why they burn their dead and only do it for the tradition.

I must search for the part with the lichyard. If one is mentioned, I wonder how bloody large it must be, since Castle Black was in use for 8000yrs nonstop. But I can't imagine that they send their people home. It's just too much effort for lowborns and I can only imagine that they will make the highborns organize something like that themselves and only if they really wish. Remember, only 300 years ago, the NW had a strenght of 10,000. Even more in the past.

Viserys told Dany that "the dragon doesn't get ill" so she walks around the people with bloody flux.

But we know that a bunch of Targaryens died during the Great Spring Sickness.

Viserys really knows nothing about Targaryen history...Good job misleading your sister idiot(Dany shows symptoms of the flux in her last chapter)

or having a miscarriage... :dunno: After she sees the blood she looks to the moon and notes that it's not even full yet IIRC, meaning she initially thought it might have been her period but it's not because of the phase of the moon.

I don't think it's the bloody flux because she seems to live well into The Winds of Winter, as hinted by GRRM (my understanding of his hints anyway). Then again, the pale mare could be like the Black Death such that it doesn't kill everyone who gets it and once you get it you can never die from it :dunno:

or having a miscarriage... :dunno: After she sees the blood she looks to the moon and notes that it's not even full yet IIRC, meaning she initially thought it might have been her period but it's not because of the phase of the moon.

It's both. She first realises she's "evacuating" liquid. Then it's the blood.

It's both. She first realises she's "evacuating" liquid. Then it's the blood.

sorry for my ignorance but is that something that's possible? A miscarriage and a period at the same time?

sorry for my ignorance but is that something that's possible? A miscarriage and a period at the same time?

For "both" I mean she got sick after drinking the water AND THEN, she got a miscarriage. Or her period.

/puts on the glasses.

Looks like Dany hasn't been paying attention to her cycles, because she didn't even remember her last time. If many months passed, maybe she was indeed pregnant and didn't notice. And after wandering around sick and malnourished, she miscarried, which is possible and likely.

I've always thought it was a miscarriage. The only symptom of the pale mare she shows is intestinal hemorrhaging. She has no fever, I don't really remember if she had diarrhea but I don't think so, I don't even know if she has enough food in her for diarrhea (if that's even a factor). The fact that she looked to the moon and didn't remember the last time she had her period ruled it out for me.

Archived