[SPOILERS] Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow

Spockydog

Finished this and the first book in the past two days. Were fairly enjoyable. I can't say I disliked the second more than the first as some have. Both books are seem about B-'s. I doubt I'll remember much within a few months.

Anyway, did anyone else get the impression that Sherin killed herself by jumping from a height? Last time Vaelin looked for her, he sensed she up high somewhere and happy. Seems like some sort of at peace suicide thingamajig.

even though she's had no military training. Echoes of Mary Sue?

Joan of Arc?

Joan of Arc?

Do you think that's what the author was going for? I don't know enough about Joan of Arc to know if the comparison is a good one. I know she was religiously motivated and that the Brits burned her at the stake. Was she a military genius of some sort or more of an inspirational leader?

Do you think that's what the author was going for? I don't know enough about Joan of Arc to know if the comparison is a good one. I know she was religiously motivated and that the Brits burned her at the stake. Was she a military genius of some sort or more of an inspirational leader?

I don't know if she was a military genius, but the French started winning battles with her around.

I think he was blatantly going for a Joan of Arc reference. Her people think the World Father speaks to her and the Volarians called a witch. As to whether Joan was an actual military genius, it's debated. If you read the records of Joan's trial, she was definitely an actual genius.

• 2 weeks later...

But the connection with Frentis was broken when Lyra knifed him, correct?

Yup.

I don't think she was talking about the bond that binded frentis to do her bidding, i think she genuinly meant a relationship bond. I believe that she hoped that all the killing would make Frentis dark and corrupt like her, making them closer. and that each kill he was forced to carry out sullied his soul, strengthening the the relationship they both had.

Yes this seems incontestable.

What is less understandable is why the blood song fell silent when Vaelin declined to kill her - her support proved invaluable to Reva in defying the Volarians.

Also if Alpiran Emperors possess a trace of precognition or blood song and choose their successor after identifying a similar quality in them- where exactly is this manifested in either Seliesen or his wife (the new imperial heir)? There's little evidence so far.

I think this is very much a butterfly effect situation. If he had killed her and the king, then they wouldn't have gone to war. The Volarians would still invade of course, but Frentis wouldn't have been captured and used by his "wife" to eliminate the names on the list that would oppose the war. If all the people on the list were still alive, then maybe the war would be won with less casualties (especially if Frentis was by Vaelin's side). Also if you believe that Frentis is the real Darkblade (like I do), then this would mean Frentis would never have been captured, and never met his "wife." This would break the chain of events and prevent the prophecy from coming true

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived