Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Roughly 100 years. I am curious if we learn a more narrowed down estimate.

The Doom occurred in 126 BC, Aegon's conquest began in 2BC.

Edit: unless I'm reading this wrong and it means that the Doom happened in 114 BC. Opinions?

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/world-of-ice-and-fire-sample/

The Targaryens were of pure Valyrian blood, dragonlords of ancient lineage. Twelve years before the Doom of Valyria (114 BC), Aenar Targaryen sold his holdings in the Freehold and the Lands of the Long Summer and moved with all his wives, wealth, slaves, dragons, siblings, kin, and children to Dragonstone, a bleak island citadel beneath a smoking mountain in the narrow sea.

Edit: unless I'm reading this wrong and it means that the Doom happened in 114 BC. Opinions?

thank you

if the Doom occured in 114 BC then they were at Dragonstone in 126 BC

so then the exact estimate would be 126 years they were lord of Dragonstone before the crowning of Aegon at oldtown and Start of AC(after conquest)

I don't know..."12 years before the Doom of Valyria (114BC)" could mean that the year 114BC was 12 years prior to the Doom and the Doom therefore took place in 102BC. Or that 114BC was the year of the Doom.

Just based on that quote alone though

I put 102 BC first, but that's backwards, right?

What do you mean, backwards from what?

It all depends how you read that quote. If the year given (114BC) was taken as the year Aenar fled Valyria, and that the Doom occurred 12 years after this, then you get that the Doom happened 102BC.

If you read the quote as Aenar fled Valyria 12 years before the Doom, which occurred in 114BC, then Aenar left in 126BC.

What do you mean, backwards from what?

It all depends how you read that quote. If the year given (114BC) was taken as the year Aenar fled Valyria, and that the Doom occurred 12 years after this, then you get that the Doom happened 102BC.

If you read the quote as Aenar fled Valyria 12 years before the Doom, which occurred in 114BC, then Aenar left in 126BC.

from that sample chapter it clearly tells Doom happened at 114BC so Aenor left in 126 BC

I mean that twelve years before 114 BC would be 126 BC. Because twelve years before the doom is twelve years further from zero (the conquest.)

Oh, yeah then, that would be right. I was just speculating. Aenar would either have left 126 or 114, depending how you read it

Gared: He reported in then bolted. Also: how he was caught so easily.

This makes so much sense.

Why does LC Mormont not mention any of it when talking about him...

The Lord Commander took no notice of the irritating bird. "Gared was near as old as I am and longer on the Wall," he went on, "yet it would seem he forswore himself and fled. I should never have believed it, not of him, but Lord Eddard sent me his head from Winterfell.

AGoT 21 Tyrion III

...maybe it means nothing, though.

Gared: He reported in then bolted. Also: how he was caught so easily.

It seems he never reported anything, because no one at the NW knew what happened to Waymar (?) Royce and Will. The words of L/C Mormont that Jon Weirgarien just cited made me believe that Gared never returned to Castle Black. That's why I asked my question about other ways to go through ))). As for why he was easily caught, I've always imagined that the horrors he witnessed made him half insane, and he was unable to think clearly.

I meant he was seen returning - the gate is the closest escape. He ran off without being noticed. So he was seen coming in I presume bc he would naturally head for the closest safest way out of the North. He just checked in and took off as soon as he could - like the guys who go to Molestown. They should have asked him about the other rangers immediately. I can't recall what if anything the LC knew about that. He was an old timer so maybe he knew about a tunnel but I hate to reach. Climbing the wall just seems like way too big of an effort in a terrified guy. He might have thought he could stay at CB but as a ranger he did not want to go out again. So he might have deserted later.

It seems he never reported anything, because no one at the NW knew what happened to Waymar (?) Royce and Will. The words of L/C Mormont that Jon Weirgarien just cited made me believe that Gared never returned to Castle Black. That's why I asked my question about other ways to go through ))). As for why he was easily caught, I've always imagined that the horrors he witnessed made him half insane, and he was unable to think clearly.

It actually seems Gared stayed at large for several months.

Without any authoritative answer from the author or in the text I'd say yes.

That's what it means: in the olden times of namegiving, Winterfell is the place where mythical forces of spring or summer defeated mythical forces of winter. Ice spiders, giants, direwolves, whights, and the others and brought the Long Night to an end, some eight thousand years ago, when the Starks became the Kings of Winter.

Maybe an Old Nan reread will shed some light.

Thanks. That just reinforces the idea that there may be something important in the crypts. Might even be the horn of joramun as some pink letter conspiracy theorists suspect.

Is there an Old Nan reread?

Really? Where is that? Intriguing.

IIRC the prologue takes place months before chapter one. Someone who pays more attention/works on these timelines could probably tell you how we know this.

Really? Where is that? Intriguing.

IIRC the prologue takes place months before chapter one. Someone who pays more attention/works on these timelines could probably tell you how we know this.

Ya I didn't do the digging but I've seen it done. Mormont talks about timelines in front of Jon I think.

Ya I didn't do the digging but I've seen it done. Mormont talks about timelines in front of Jon I think.

You might also be able to work it out from when Waymar Royce was at Winterfell and Sansa saw him. I dont recall if specific dates are mentioned there or not. There is probably a line about how long Waymar Royce has been missing too, when Benjen sets out.

On that note, I always wondered what Gared said to Ned. Whether he mentioned Waymar and Will at all

Archived