Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Right. I know about moss on the north in the northern hemisphere and on the south in the southern hemisphere. But Arya, who must be in a northern hemisphere given the artic conditions to what she and everyone else define as north and tropical conditions to what they define as south, is following moss on the south side of trees as she heads north!

Right. I know about moss on the north in the northern hemisphere and on the south in the southern hemisphere. But Arya, who must be in a northern hemisphere given the artic conditions to what she and everyone else define as north and tropical conditions to what they define as south, is following moss on the south side of trees as she heads north!

Arya is a traumatised young girl who was uninterested in lessons walking through a warzone, I think she knows Jack about navigation...

IMO :p

Duh... I was outthinking myself. She was doing it right. I'm a dufus.

Thank you all for your Gared answers ))). I have another question though: you probably remember that in ADwD Lancel once was mistakenly called Cersei's nephew (by his own father no less ))) - or at least he was in 2011 edition. Does anyone know if this mistake was corrected later? You see, I need to find out whose mistake this was, the author's or Kevan's ))). I know a couple of fans who are translating the series themselves for their personal use (they are not satisfied with the official translation), and they are not sure what to do with this "nephew" inconsistency: if it was Kevan who misspoke, they should leave it as it is, but if it was the author's mistake, they would like to correct it in their translation. They (and me) only have the 2011 paperback.

Do we have it confirmed anywhere that each entry in the white book of the kingsguards is in chronological order? So, for example, that Jamie's entries from 281 are listed before those of 284, for example.

It sounds extremely logical that the white book is written chronologically, but there are those who have doubts, so I'm looking for a confirming source.

Thank you all for your Gared answers ))). I have another question though: you probably remember that in ADwD Lancel once was mistakenly called Cersei's nephew (by his own father no less ))) - or at least he was in 2011 edition. Does anyone know if this mistake was corrected later? You see, I need to find out whose mistake this was, the author's or Kevan's ))). I know a couple of fans who are translating the series themselves for their personal use (they are not satisfied with the official translation), and they are not sure what to do with this "nephew" inconsistency: if it was Kevan who misspoke, they should leave it as it is, but if it was the author's mistake, they would like to correct it in their translation. They (and me) only have the 2011 paperback.

Don't know about that one, but some are GRRM, and some are unreliable narrators, with a few misprints from varies publishers. I do know that there were a few misprints in some of the Spanish language novels, that many talked about.

I'd leave it. Cersei's at least 10 years older. She was a married woman with children when Kevan sent his oldest to serve her husband. He probably viewed the relationship that way, which was reflected in the way he complained to her about her treatment of Lancel.

Don't know about that one, but some are GRRM, and some are unreliable narrators, with a few misprints from varies publishers. I do know that there were a few misprints in some of the Spanish language novels, that many talked about.

Thanks ))). What unreliable narrators do you mean? Is it something like Sansa clearly remembering a kiss that never happened )))?

I'd leave it. Cersei's at least 10 years older. She was a married woman with children when Kevan sent his oldest to serve her husband. He probably viewed the relationship that way, which was reflected in the way he complained to her about her treatment of Lancel.

What confused them most was the fact that the official translation has "cousin", though it is unknown whether it was done from a later version of the book or just the translator's own interpretation ))),

Do we have it confirmed anywhere that each entry in the white book of the kingsguards is in chronological order? So, for example, that Jamie's entries from 281 are listed before those of 284, for example.

It sounds extremely logical that the white book is written chronologically, but there are those who have doubts, so I'm looking for a confirming source.

My understanding is that each KG has his section..with pages added to his section as needed. within each KG section, its probably chron, but prob not required

What confused them most was the fact that the official translation has "cousin", though it is unknown whether it was done from a later version of the book or just the translator's own interpretation ))),

They are cousins...

I cannot imagine a scenario where it would not be by person and within that persons section chronological. I know the TV is not canon but it is clearly shown to give each knight a section while then listing the accomplishments/deeds.

Couldn't Gared have used the same gate Sam & Bran did?

Theoretically Gared could have heard about the Black Gate (?), being on the wall as long as he was, but if the gate let him pass in his "deserter mode", its magic was not very strong, don't you think )))? Only a Black Brother can pass through the gate, and Gared was not one from the moment he decided to run away. Otherwise any person who just happens to know the words of the oath could pass... These are just some random thoughts, because I don't remember that Nightfort story very well ))).

I'm not sure if this is a small question or just a stupid question but what happened to Mel's shadow babies? Did they just fog off when the job was done, or what?

They disappeared. If they remained, there wouldn't have been need for the second shadow baby, the first one could gave done the job at SE as well.

So they disappear.

I know that ))), the question is whether a translator has the right to correct what he considers an author's mistake, In this case the original text has "nephew", but the translator writes "cousin".

I've always thought they just vanished into thin air after the deed was done ))), but of course I can't be sure..

Archived