Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Hi everyone!

I've just started reading AGoT for the second time, and I have a question (swallowed the books without much chewing the first time, but now it's time for questions :) ):

How did Gared manage to get to the south side of the wall after what happened in the prologue? I mean, he obviously never returned to Castle Black and therefore couldn't have used the tunnel...

How did Gared manage to get to the south side of the wall after what happened in the prologue? I mean, he obviously never returned to Castle Black and therefore couldn't have used the tunnel...

I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew the answer. We see examples of wildlings in the North, they climb the wall or circumvent it by nighttime, some might even sail or swim around it

Gared might have done some of the above or used the "forgotten" tunnel at the Nightfort or some forgotten or unknown cavern.

He might even have returned to Castle Black regularly in some busy moment and run away on the other side... although maybe not.

Hi everyone!

I've just started reading AGoT for the second time, and I have a question (swallowed the books without much chewing the first time, but now it's time for questions :) ):

:)

Welcome to the boards :cheers:

It is easy to bypass the wall as a single person, or as a single wildling Raider. For examples, they can bypass the Wall using the Bridge of Skulls/the Mountains to the West of Westwatch and the Shadow Tower. It is only difficult when it comes to passing the Wall in large group :)

(Don't worry, its quite a common question :) )

Hi everyone!

Welcome!

He could have used the tunnel, and deserted after he'd been at CB. He could have used the Bridge of Skulls, the Bay of Ice, or circumvented the Wall all the way in the east (though unlikely, because then his execution most likely wouldn't have been done by Winterfell). For big groups, circumventing the Wall isn't possible, but for one person, or a very small group of experienced people (and Gared had been a ranger for a long, long time) it is possible to get passed the Wall without being noticed.

Gared was found only about 6 to 9 months after his colleagues had died beyond the wall. That also shows experience. He knew what he was doing.

I'm trying to find the SSM about Dany making up the magic as she went (at the pyre). I'm having trouble finding it though, can anyone help?

It's in an amazon review with a quote from Martin. Just got posted in the thread that was talking about it.

For subsequent edit: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/114154-which-theory-do-you-hate-the-most/?p=6039596

It's in an amazon review with a quote from Martin. Just got posted in the thread that was talking about it.

For subsequent edit: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/114154-which-theory-do-you-hate-the-most/?p=6039596

Thanks, that was why I was looking for it. Kind of a redundant question now :p

"Do you know where we're going?" Gendry asked her.

"North," said Arya.

Hot Pie peered around uncertainly. "Which way is north?"

She used her cheese to point. "That way."

"But there's no sun. How do you know?"

"From the moss. See how it grows mostly on one side of the trees? That's south."

Arya I, Storm

Could somebody please explain this? My understanding is that they were heading north since they went from Harrenhal to the Inn of the Kneeling Man. But moss generally grows on the north side of trees.

Depends on where the wind is most often blowing from. In Europe near the sea that is usually either West or Northwest. But it is a very unsafe method, as geographically some places may be exceptions to the general rule and other obstacles may divert the usual wind...

Arya I, Storm

Could somebody please explain this? My understanding is that they were heading north since they went from Harrenhal to the Inn of the Kneeling Man. But moss generally grows on the north side of trees.

Moss grows mostly on the north side of trees, as in the northern hemisphere, the sun is shining more to the south side of any object, evaporating moisture at a higher rate. Since moss likes moisture, it grows better on the northern side, although many things like wind and shade can throw that off.

I'm reading the series for the third time and I am coming across some details about certain characters that I forgot. In ACoK, Jojen tells Bran that he almost died of a fever when he was younger, after that he had the greendreams. Can you only get the powers nowadays in Westeros if you have a near death experience? (if you have the powers laying dormant within you in the first place, that is) I wonder if there is anyone else in the North who could have had those powers, but they never had a near death experience? Thoughts?

aGoT 12 :

"I cannot answer for the gods, Your Grace... only for what I found when I rode into the throne room that day," Ned said. "Aerys was dead on the floor, drowned in his own blood. His dragon skulls stared down from the walls. Lannister's men were everywhere. Jaime wore the white cloak of the Kingsguard over his golden armor. I can see him still. Even his sword was gilded. He was seated on the Iron Throne, high above his knights, wearing a helm fashioned in the shape of a lion's head. How he glittered!"

"This is well known," the king complained.

"I was still mounted. I rode the length of the hall in silence, between the long rows of dragon skulls. It felt as though they were watching me, somehow. I stopped in front of the throne, looking up at him. His golden sword was across his legs, its edge red with a king's blood. My men were filling the room behind me. Lannister's men drew back. I never said a word. I looked at him seated there on the throne, and I waited. At last, Jaime laughed and got up. He took off his helm, and he said to me, 'Have no fear, Stark. I was only keeping it warm for our friend Robert. It's not a very comfortable seat, I'm afraid.'"

aGoT 20 :

Ned did not need Littlefinger to tell him that. He was thinking back to the day Arya had been found, to the look on the queen's face when she said, We have a wolf, so soft and quiet. He was thinking of the boy Mycah, of Jon Arryn's sudden death, of Bran's fall, of old mad Aerys Targaryen dying on the floor of his throne room while his life's blood dried on a gilded blade.

Archived