Greatest Heiresses in Westeros

I think it depends on what you want if you want something that's assured then you go with Brienne or Alysanne, although Alysanne already has children so she might just run any suitor through with her sword. Shireen is a pretty good bet for the future as it doesn't seem like Stannis is actively trying to gain another heir. Arianne is the biggest fish and does seem to be quite well supported and now understands things better and has her fathers backing. Also will the Yronwoods have quite as much of a problem with Arianne given that they now have two females left as heir. Maybe one of those ladies will make the Yronwoods follow absolute primogeniture from now on.

Cersei isn't an heiress. If you want something huge but less assured Dany is a wild card because she doesn't really have anything and she isn't an heiress either because anything she gets she gets because she takes it not because she inherits it. The eldest Manderley girl is also inline for a lot but isn't the immediate heiress yet.

I thought it was clear that a heiress is, by definition, someone who has not inherited yet. Why Cersei Lannisters continues to be mentioned is puzzling. The only manner in which she could even become a heiress once more is if she decided to remarry.

She's still the last viable heir of Tywin's line. Not a bastard, not attainted, not disqualified by some oath.

Jaime is in the Kingsguard. Tyrion is a kinslayer and (officially at least) a traitor. Her children are either considered Baratheons or bastard Hills, depending on one's interpretation.

She may be a woman, but Kevan is dead, Lancel is a milquetoast who has also given up what lordships were ever offered him, and Daven is just the Warden as an expediency.

Cersei aggressively defends her position both as Tywin's trueborn child and as queen-regent (i.e. a reverse heiress in a way, inheriting her children's power). Most notably, she is the one closest to actual authority, and still has the most actual power. Power resides where people believe it resides? Well, I think those who believed her power was at an end after her walk of shame are in for a rude shock. "Oh yes."

And the commentary of Raff and the other Lannister guard in the Mercy chapter shows clearly who they think their queen is.

Also will the Yronwoods have quite as much of a problem with Arianne given that they now have two females left as heir. Maybe one of those ladies will make the Yronwoods follow absolute primogeniture from now on.

Anders Yronwood still has his nephew Archibald "The big man". Given his views on women inheriting, it is highly likely he will inherit over Ynys.

ETA: Also, Anders appears to be in good health and middling age. Nothing's to say he'll die anytime soon.

Anders Yronwood still has his nephew Archibald "The big man". Given his views on women inheriting, it is highly likely he will inherit over Ynys.

Yes, I did think I was forgetting something about their family situation. I just think it'd be poetic justice to moan about something and then for it to come back to bite you on the ass. A bit like Tywin doing all that work to ensure his family and name and it just ended in total disaster for him.

I started a thread about Brienne of Tarth being one of the top most eligible heirs in Westeros. Only Arriane and Cersei would rate higher in my eyes.

1. Arriane - heir to Dorne, a whole region.

2. Cersei - heir to Casterly Rock.

3. Brienne - heir to Tarth.

All the other ones aren't as cut and dry.

Sansa - married to Tyrion.

Wynnafred Manderly - not the heir to White Harbor.

Shireen Baratheon - right now her father has lost Dragonstone and doesn't hold the Iron Throne. Might not be heir to anything.

All the other ones, I think, are below Brienne.

She's still the last viable heir of Tywin's line. Not a bastard, not attainted, not disqualified by some oath . . .

I believe you misunderstood my post. I am not disputing any of that. My point is, Cersei has already inherited. She is the Lady of Casterly Rock. She is not a heiress.

The same way way that Arianne ceases to be a heiress when Doran dies.

Aside from Arianne (and maybe Ynis) doesn't Dorne have a few other ladies. I think there is Jynessa Blacckmont, Myria Jordayne, doesn't Lady Tolland also have two daughters, Valaena was it, the sister of the one who's on the boat with Arianne and Elia Sand? and is Jeyne Fowler the heir? also isn't Sylva heir a well?

Aside from Arianne (and maybe Ynis) doesn't Dorne have a few other ladies. I think there is Jynessa Blacckmont, Myria Jordayne, doesn't Lady Tolland also have two daughters, Valaena was it, the sister of the one who's on the boat with Arianne and Elia Sand? and is Jeyne Fowler the heir? also isn't Sylva heir a well?

Yeah, Dorne is, not surprisingly, full of heiresses. Ynys isn't available, though, as she's married to Ryon Allyrion. Nor is Sylva, as she just got married to lord Estermont.

Jynessa is more likely not to be married, though we don't really know, same thing for Myria Jordayne and Valena.

I'm not sure if the Fowler twins are the only children of Lord Franklyn, but if they are, then Jeyne would be.

So out of the known dornish ones, I'd say she is the best catch, if Franklyn doesn't have another heir, and you don't mind sharing her with her sister, Ellaria Sand and so on...

Isn't it Nymeria the Fowler twins are enjoying themselves with? About Sylva my own personal crackpot theory is that once Doran is out of the picture Lord Estermont might find himself getting put down by a Sand Snake, at least that's what will happen in my own personal ASOIAF headcanon.

1.Myrcella Baratheon - Tommen is a king.So when Cersei dies Myrcella becomes lady of Casterly Rock.She also has a claim at Storm's End.

2.Arianne Martell - Dorne is not the strongest of the 7 kingdoms but it is untouched by war and she is undoubtelly Doran's heir.

3.Daenerys Targaryen - She has Meereen,an army, and dragons.

4.Cersei Lannister - lady of Casterly Rock but totally mad.

5.Sansa Stark - practically she has nothing now.Also her brothers,uncle,cousin,possible nephew(if Jeyne was pregnant) can alwaysruin her claim in North+Riverlands.

For this post, I shall regard females as "greatest heiresses" if they are already the reigning lady of or the heiress apparent of a lordship ruling over a region of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

Arianne Martell is the heiress apparent to Dorne. However, she is not a virgin though she has never wed and Dorne seems to be a difficult region to rule over, especially for one who was not from there.

Cersei Lannister is the reigning lady of Casterly Rock which rules over the Westerlands. However, she has done a walk of shame through the streets of King's Landing and already has an heir in her son Tommen Baratheon. Nonetheless, Casterly Rock is still a very desirable prize and there are money who would be willing to overlook Cersei Lannister's less than savoury pass.

Sansa Stark is neither the reigning lady nor heiress apparent of either Riverrun or Winterfell. Therefore, she is not an heiress. Riverrun has been stripped of the Tullys and Winterfell has been stripped off the Starks and in any case, Sansa Stark has two living brothers who, though Westeros is unaware of their survival, are still alive.

I regard Daenerys Targaryen as the greatest heiress of them all because she is the last of her line still living and by the inheritance laws which govern Westeros has the strongest claim to the Iron Throne. However, the Iron Throne is a poisoned prize not worth fighting for and Daenerys Targaryen comes from a house renowned for their insanity.

I believe you misunderstood my post. I am not disputing any of that. My point is, Cersei has already inherited. She is the Lady of Casterly Rock. She is not a heiress.

The same way way that Arianne ceases to be a heiress when Doran dies.

You're fighting a losing battle. But you are correct. In my thread I think I called them bachelorettes or something. Mine focused on Brienne; I had her at three, below Arriane and Cersei.

For this post, I shall regard females as "greatest heiresses" if they are already the reigning lady of or the heiress apparent of a lordship ruling over a region of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

Arianne Martell is the heiress apparent to Dorne. However, she is not a virgin though she has never wed and Dorne seems to be a difficult region to rule over, especially for one who was not from there.

Cersei Lannister is the reigning lady of Casterly Rock which rules over the Westerlands. However, she has done a walk of shame through the streets of King's Landing and already has an heir in her son Tommen Baratheon. Nonetheless, Casterly Rock is still a very desirable prize and there are money who would be willing to overlook Cersei Lannister's less than savoury pass.

Sansa Stark is neither the reigning lady nor heiress apparent of either Riverrun or Winterfell. Therefore, she is not an heiress. Riverrun has been stripped of the Tullys and Winterfell has been stripped off the Starks and in any case, Sansa Stark has two living brothers who, though Westeros is unaware of their survival, are still alive.

I regard Daenerys Targaryen as the greatest heiress of them all because she is the last of her line still living and by the inheritance laws which govern Westeros has the strongest claim to the Iron Throne. However, the Iron Throne is a poisoned prize not worth fighting for and Daenerys Targaryen comes from a house renowned for their insanity.

If Sansa isn't an heiress because Riverrun and Winterfell are occupied surely Dany isn't an heiress because the Baratheons have Dragonstone and the Iron Throne

Arianne is the greatest heiress in the series at this point. Sansa would be if Edmure was dead, Roslin died in childbirth and Bran and Rickon weren't alive, but as they are she doesn't really have an inheritance. Cersei doesn't have an inheritance because she's already inherite Casterly Rock. Daenerys doesn't have the IT at this point and it's Westeros is being ruled by Baratheons. Margaery isn't next in line. Asha comes after Arianne as she's the heir to the Iron Islands.

yeah.. plus husbands can rule via their wives rights.. remember when Prince Daemon Targaryen went to the Vale to to claim Runestone by his first wife's (Rhea Royce) right but it was then ruled to be passed to Rhea's nephew instead of Daemon..

As long as you have no children by said wife, claiming something only by virtue of being married to the previous lord/lady is a really shaky foundation for a successful claim.

Remember, how Tywin was adamant, that Tyrion gets a child on Sansa, so that Winterfell is secure?

ETA: The fact, that not even Daemon Targaryen, who was a great warrior, had a dragon and was close kin to the ruler of Westeros, was able to claim Runestone over his wife's biological relatives actually tells a lot about the success-rate of this method.

Archived