Which great houses produce the best warriors

Zoravar Singh

i knew that they had a lot of good/very good fighters except those two, but I don't think any of the others were in the same category as Aemon/Daemon/Selmy/Cregan Stark/Arthur Dayne. Maekar and Baelor and Bittersteel were extremely good fighters, but not legends by any stretch. Never really heard of Maegor 1 as anything beyond cruel ( of course I could've skipped something) and of Daeron 1, all we know is that he conquered dorne, which I wouldn't take as an indicator of martial prowess. Rhaegar was an excellcent jouster, no doubt, but I don't think he distinguished himself as a warrior ( although he had only one chance to do so, and that was against a young and angry Bob).

Legends don't come along very often and Targaryen is the only one with two legends and then a plethora of great to good skilled fighters. This is probably because they seem to be GRRM's favorite and we know the most about them but still if we go just on what we know Targaryen has it pretty handily. As for Maegor he was almost constantly at war and was knighted a very young age so I assume he was a great warrior. If conquering Dorne isn't a sign of matrial prowess I don't know what is, he was supposedly brave in battle so probably safe to assume he didn't sit in the back the whole time but I am guessing so who knows. Rhaegar at least put up a good enough fight to injure Robert, though I personally believe Robert was still not fully healed from Bells.

Legends don't come along very often and Targaryen is the only one with two legends and then a plethora of great to good skilled fighters. This is probably because they seem to be GRRM's favorite and we know the most about them but still if we go just on what we know Targaryen has it pretty handily. As for Maegor he was almost constantly at war and was knighted a very young age so I assume he was a great warrior. If conquering Dorne isn't a sign of matrial prowess I don't know what is, he was supposedly brave in battle so probably safe to assume he didn't sit in the back the whole time but I am guessing so who knows. Rhaegar at least put up a good enough fight to injure Robert, though I personally believe Robert was still not fully healed from Bells.

Yeah, have to agree that of all known legends. Targ has the most. Regarding Daeron I, I have to disagree, as even Tywin Lannister was an exceptionally capable general, but not particularly renown for his swordwork ;his name is brandished around throughout the series, and it just can't be that he was a great warrior and it omitted mention in all the books sofar. The whole thing about Maegor is that he was at the very least very good, but we have no proof that he was a legend, as we have no proof that he wasn't.

ETA: What's your opinion of Artos Stark? He slew Raymun Redbeard, and if Mance Rayder is any indication, The King Beyond the Wall is practically required to be great warrior, as sometimes to bring a clan into the fold, it's necessary to defeat its leader/champions.

Well, the OP asks for Great Houses.

The Daynes are one of the oldest and most respected houses (I've read they are even older than the Starks). In contrast, the Baratheons, and Tyrells were established after the conquest. I don't think the list was meant to only include the 7 high lords' houses.

Besides, if we're honest, the Cleganes are hands down the best prospective fighting house. All the other houses are old, rich and have the infrastructure to produce great warriors consistently. On the other hand, the Cleganes, after two generations of being any kind of house, have two of the best five active warriors in Gergor and Sandor.

The Daynes are one of the oldest and most respected houses (I've read they are even older than the Starks). In contrast, the Baratheons, and Tyrells were established after the conquest. I don't think the list was meant to only include the 7 high lords' houses.

Besides, if we're honest, the Cleganes are hands down the best prospective fighting house. All the other houses are old, rich and have the infrastructure to produce great warriors consistently. On the other hand, the Cleganes, after two generations of being any kind of house, have two of the best five active warriors in Gergor and Sandor.

'Great House' isn't a subjective compliment. It's an official designation.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Houses_of_Westeros

(Not being sarcastic; I am honestly assuming a divergent interpretation here.)

If we're going over time and as an average, I'm sure I'll be unpopular, but I'm going to suggest the Greyjoys the most likely. Their culture is the most warlike. They'd probably be followed by House Stark who've had to defend the North from threats from all over.

Edit: By Great House are we actually talking about the 9 Great Houses or just any major House? Because that would probably change my answer.

'Great House' isn't a subjective compliment. It's an official designation.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Houses_of_Westeros

(Not being sarcastic; I am honestly assuming a divergent interpretation here.)

IK,

But by your own list, Boltons and Baelishs (is that a thing now) are fair game and Starks and Tullys are excluded :P

Baratheon fan saying Targaryen. Daemon Blackfyre and Aemon Targaryen are pretty much always in talks of greatest warriors in the history of Westeros. I'd say Targaryen>Greyjoy>Baratheon=Stark=Lannister=Tyrell>Martell>Tully

Hard to rank the Arryns with what little we know about their historic fighters.

Edited rankings

One thing you need to take into account is that almost all houses whether big and small have a famous knight or warrior of some sort and so it can't be said who is the best unless all these guys lived at the same time and dueled until one was left standing, yet you can say what houses have the commanders which would translate to good warriors as a commander is only as good as the men he leads so in that respect

House Stark has great commanders from the times just before the Targaryens landed in westeros against Domeric Bolton and the Wildings Also Robb is very good commander too

House Bolton's Domeric Bolton was a very skilled commander and even if he was a Bolton does command respect in a tactical view point

House Targaryen's Aegon the Conquer and many others show there skills as commanders, but i guess you could say they weren't great as he did let all his men die or flee on the field of fire instead of just realeasing all his dragons and Dany isn't a great commander its really only her councilors who keep her armies going

House Lannister has Tywin who is a very capable commander and Tyrion could probably be a very good commander if he became a general

House Baratheon has many Such as Robert who was able to only loss one battle in his entire Rebellion and before the Targaryens invaded the Storm kings ruled most of the Stormlands, Crownlands, and Riverlands showing prowess as commanders and Stannis is a very tactful man who beat the Greyjoys and many others

House Umber has very charismatic leaders who would and have made very good commanders

House Greyjoy has Victorian Asha and Euron who are very good commanders on sea and when taking settlements near the sea

House Tyrell has very incompetent commanders such as Mace and Loras who thought Loras is smarter than his Father isn't very good

House Tully can't boast much prowess with Hoster and Edmure, but the Blackfish is a very good commander

House Tarly has Randyll who is a very competent man and gave Robert his only Defent

There is other houses to talk about but these seem like the ones to mention

Targ-Aemon, Maegor, Daemon, Breakspear, Maekar, Daemon B, Aemond, Brynden, Aegor, Daeron I.

Stark-Creggan, Artos, Brandon, Karlon.

Greyjoy-Victarion, Dalton, Dagon.

Tully-Brynden.

Arryn-Artys, Talon, Denys.

Lannister-Jaime, Tygett, Tybolt, Gerrold.

Tyrell-Leo, Loras, Garlan.

Baratheon-Argillac, Orys, Lyonel, Robert.

Martell-Oberyn.

It's mostly a case of knowing so little about the story of these Houses that it's really hard to tell. But Houses like Dayne, Yronwood, Caron, Tarly, Peake, Toyne, Darklyn, Crakehall, Clegane, Bracken, Blackwood, Royce, Redfort, Umber, Mormont and even Bolton cultivate a image of strong martial tradition so they might actually produce more fighters per generation that other Houses.

If you count notable warriors outside the Great Houses based on region.....

The North - Greatjon Umber, Jon Snow, Jorah Mormont

Iron Islands - Andrik the Unsmiling

Riverlands - Jason Mallister, Tytos Blackwood, Jonos Bracken, Jonathan Darry

The Vale - Yohn Royce, Lyn Corbray

Crownlands - Barristan Selmy

Westerlands - Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane

The Reach - Randyll Tarly

Stormlands - Jon Connington, Beric Dondarrion, Brienne Tarth, Balon Swann

Dorne - Arthur Dayne, Gerold Dayne

Brandon Stark was described as a much better warrior than Ned, who was good himself, also

Brandon Stark was not a great warrior Ned is just average.

Brandon was an useless scumbag and an idiot, he's the shame of the house Stark.

Cregan Stark is the best Stark warrior not Brandon.

Archived