NFL 2014: Preseason Edition

Jaime L

If Vick is the starter, I would by all means run the read option with him, at least make other teams look for it. But if Geno is your guy, having Vick come off the bench every once in a while to "keep the defense off balance" is really dumb. You have to do everything you can to help your young quarterback succeed.

Agreed. I mean you could even include read-option elements with Geno if you want to give defenses more to prepare for. He was surprisingly elusive as a runner as a rookie. But don't put this artificial package in that disrupts your entire offensive flow. Didn't they learn that with Tebow?

Agreed. I mean you could even include read-option elements with Geno if you want to give defenses more to prepare for. He was surprisingly elusive as a runner as a rookie. But don't put this artificial package in that disrupts your entire offensive flow. Didn't they learn that with Tebow?

And before Tebow, Brad Smith. Ryan's been obsessed with it ever since one game that year the Dolphins were really good at it and beat the Jets pretty badly.

The read option isn't the wildcat. And it's a very stupid idea at this point.

The wildcat is essentially making the exchange that the offense has one extra blocker, and the defense no longer has to worry about a pass of more than ten yards. Not surprisingly, every NFL defense is happy to make this trade.

I just checked the Dallas injury list, and it is disparaging. The defense has been absolutely devastated again this year. I don't know what they did in OTAs and training camp, but it has resulted in a completely broken squad right now. For this to be the second year in a row like this, something needs to change.

no one in college uses the wildcat that I'm aware of.

Missouri used to at least, that's why the Jets called it the tigercat when Brad Smith was the one in it. But that was four years ago and I don't closely follow college fb (except Buffalo!), so I don't know if they still do.

I just checked the Dallas injury list, and it is disparaging. The defense has been absolutely devastated again this year. I don't know what they did in OTAs and training camp, but it has resulted in a completely broken squad right now. For this to be the second year in a row like this, something needs to change.

Dallas might set an NFL record for averaging over 30 points per game and going 5-11 because the defense doesn't exist.

no one in college uses the wildcat that I'm aware of.

Could be. I don't watch that much college ball any more. It's just more for run friendly leagues, which is HS and lower level college ball.

I'm only saying this because I say you use this word this way in a different thread: I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is discouraging.

I thought you were going to correct his spelling. Allas is all out of Ds. So maybe isparaging or iscouraging would be more appropriate.

Lol. Just like Clevelan.

EDIT: Jamie L., what have you done? You've started something you cannot contain.

The better game for CBS to cover is the Bengals/Ravens game, which is two legitimately good teams going against each other. Covering the Browns for the sake of Manziel is fucking stupid.

I don't think it's all that stupid. They are looking at the ratings a pre season game drew just because of Manziel.

People want to watch Manziel. Either they want to watch him do something exciting or they want to watch him fail. Either way they will tune in to watch.

I'm only saying this because I say you use this word this way in a different thread: I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is discouraging.

disparage

[dih-spar-ij] Spell Syllables

verb (used with object), disparaged, disparaging.

to speak of or treat slightingly; depreciate; belittle:

Do not disparage good manners.

to bring reproach or discredit upon; lower the estimation of:

Your behavior will disparage the whole family.

Nope, I meant what I said...

disparage

[dih-spar-ij] Spell Syllables

verb (used with object), disparaged, disparaging.

to speak of or treat slightingly; depreciate; belittle:

Do not disparage good manners.

to bring reproach or discredit upon; lower the estimation of:

Your behavior will disparage the whole family.

Nope, I meant what I said...

Both those examples are constructed in a different manner than the way you've used it. I've never seen that verb used a gerund without an object. The Cowboys can disparage the city of Dallas. They can disparage their good reputation. They don't disparage in general.

Both those examples are constructed in a different manner than the way you've used it. I've never seen that verb used a gerund without an object. The Cowboys can disparage the city of Dallas. They can disparage their good reputation. They don't disparage in general.

Have you seen the state of the Dallas defense? Of course it disparages in general.

Also, In the English language

'I am disparaging." is a complete sentence.

Below, the use of disparage as a gerund is explained.

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/disparage.html

First off, no more "D" in allas posts:

Have you seen the state of the allas efense? Of course it isparages in general.

Also, In the English language
'I am isparaging." is a complete sentence.

Below, the use of isparage as a gerun is explaine.

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/isparage.html

Keeping this simple:

Disparaging in this context would mean Dallas' defense is of little worth.

Discouraging in this context would mean you've lost confidence in Dallas' defense.

The latter is what you'd say if you just read that your team's lost players on defense, because it diminishes your confidence in the defense.

Disparaging would be appropriate if you watched this new defensive unit and observed that it was of low quality, hence has little worth.

A quick English/Grammar lesson from the guy who graduated summa cum laude in two fields at the age of 20.

I don't think it's all that stupid. They are looking at the ratings a pre season game drew just because of Manziel.

People want to watch Manziel. Either they want to watch him do something exciting or they want to watch him fail. Either way they will tune in to watch.

Do they? Seems more like the media wants to shove Manziel down our throats and therefore we have no choice but to watch him potentially fail. This is Tebow all over again. A back up QB dictates where the number 1 crew goes instead of the quality of the teams. That's the issue.

ETA: In other news, the number of penalties so far this preseason is exponentially higher than any other season. The focus on illegal contact and defensive holding by the officials is going to ruin the game given those situations happen on every single play. If they're called as much as they're being called in the preseason, the stop/start nature of the game will be infinitely worse and the scores are going to be very high. I am not encouraged.

Archived