NFL 2014: Preseason Edition

Jaime L

Unrelated, but this is pretty awesome: What if every NFL team was composed exclusively from players from that city.

A few thoughts:

• I'm excited to see what this Redskin team can do, but holy fuck they don't hold a candle to the DMV all-star team.

The Bay Area (49ers/Raiders) team gets to pick between Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady at QB.

The Colts got a lot sexier...but will assuredly go 0-16.

The Patriots can only put together a roster if you give them all the players from Europe and even then it's kinda meh.

Really it's just all a stark reminder of how great football players just don't come from north of the Mason-Dixon line. A few, but the Chicago/NY/Boston markets are shockingly terrible for their populations.

Heh, the Cowboys basically just get a Sooners all-star team.

So I'd like to note that I don't really care about whether Manziel starts for the Browns or not. But the headlines that Hoyer will start Monday night @ Washington got me thinking.

Hoyer is scheduled to start when the Browns play the Washington Redskins in their second game of the exhibition season, but Manziel is expected to get equal time with the starting offense.

Based on that one sentence, it implies that the Cleveland first team offense is going to be getting a lot more work than normal for a second preseason game. But that's a fine coaching decision, whatever. But while Coach Pettine can decide to keep the 1s out for as long as he like, he can't do the same for the Redskins defense, and in all likelihood, if Hoyer plays the first quarter, then Manziel is going to be going against the Redskins backups with the Browns starters. One would fully expect him to do well in that situation. Are the Browns trying to rig this competition, to make their decision to start Manziel look better?

I'm probably overthinking this. But then, Kyle Shanahan is the O-coordinator...

As of yesterday, between games and training camps, there's been 36 concussions so far this preseason. There were 9 total concussions in the NBA last season and 23 total concussions in MLB last season. Sometimes I feel really bad about liking this sport.

In other depressing news, apparently the Jets are thinking about keeping the Wildcat formation alive in their playbook with Vick as situational QB. Like that's worked out so well for the team in the past.

Also, I completely forgot that Chris Johnson was a Jet now. I somehow have even less enthusiasm for the team.

But while Coach Pettine can decide to keep the 1s out for as long as he like, he can't do the same for the Redskins defense, and in all likelihood, if Hoyer plays the first quarter, then Manziel is going to be going against the Redskins backups with the Browns starters. One would fully expect him to do well in that situation. Are the Browns trying to rig this competition, to make their decision to start Manziel look better?

Or just trying to build the kids confidence to some degree? In either case, it sounds like they are at the very least giving him a shot at the starting gig.

Or just trying to build the kids confidence to some degree? In either case, it sounds like they are at the very least giving him a shot at the starting gig.

Something tells me that lack of confidence is not Manziel's problem... But it's a fine choice regardless, coaches can treat the preseason however they want. I'm just mentally preparing myself for the fawning news stories of how Manziel went 9 for 12, 150 yards and two touchdowns.

So I'd like to note that I don't really care about whether Manziel starts for the Browns or not. But the headlines that Hoyer will start Monday night @ Washington got me thinking.

Based on that one sentence, it implies that the Cleveland first team offense is going to be getting a lot more work than normal for a second preseason game. But that's a fine coaching decision, whatever. But while Coach Pettine can decide to keep the 1s out for as long as he like, he can't do the same for the Redskins defense, and in all likelihood, if Hoyer plays the first quarter, then Manziel is going to be going against the Redskins backups with the Browns starters. One would fully expect him to do well in that situation. Are the Browns trying to rig this competition, to make their decision to start Manziel look better?

No, I don't think you're over-thinking it at all. I think the Browns' staff would just characterize it as giving the hot, popular, football wunderkind du jour every chance to succeed (and that translates into "sorry Hoyer, we luv ya and all but you're gonna have to sink or swim on your own" ;) ) Remember, this Browns' staff didn't choose Hoyer but they did choose Manziel and, unfortunately, that matters a great deal. This is actually one of my peeves about the NFL.

Something tells me that lack of confidence is not Manziel's problem... But it's a fine choice regardless, coaches can treat the preseason however they want. I'm just mentally preparing myself for the fawning news stories of how Manziel went 9 for 12, 150 yards and two touchdowns.

Yep, I think this is very close to how it will actually go.

Heard today that it was announced that Nantz and Simms (CBS's #1 announce team) has been slotted to cover Browns vs. Steelers in week 1.

No way they're going to cover Hoyer. TV money wags this dog. I think the decision is made.

Heard today that it was announced that Nantz and Simms (CBS's #1 announce team) has been slotted to cover Browns vs. Steelers in week 1.

No way they're going to cover Hoyer. TV money wags this dog. I think the decision is made.

The better game for CBS to cover is the Bengals/Ravens game, which is two legitimately good teams going against each other. Covering the Browns for the sake of Manziel is fucking stupid.

I think they're reading the tea leaves, not that the decision has been made. The Browns have a bye week 4. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had Hoyer start the first three weeks, and if it seems like he isn't getting it done, they get Manziel in after that. That sounds plausible. Unless Hoyer absolutely lights things up, Manziel is gonna be going in soon, but it doesn't have to be week 1.

All games are exciting in week 1, that's the glory of the NFL. You can send the #1 crew anywhere.

All games are exciting in week 1, that's the glory of the NFL. You can send the #1 crew anywhere.

Dunno. Some of those second games in the Monday night double header have been pretty awful, particularly when the Raiders have been involved.

Although that's not CBS of course.

Dunno. Some of those second games in the Monday night double header have been pretty awful, particularly when the Raiders have been involved.

Although that's not CBS of course.

I'd say that's because on the west coast you either have the absolute best (Niners, Seahawks, Broncos) or the absolute worst like the Raiders; and you don't want to waste your top teams on a game that starts damn near midnight on the east coast.

I hope Hoyer outshines the cocky bastard, despite having the tougher assignment. I will laugh heartily if that occurs.

I hope Hoyer outshines the cocky bastard, despite having the tougher assignment. I will laugh heartily if that occurs.

I wouldn't count on it. The dropoff between the 1st and second unit defense on the Redskins is pretty steep.

I'd say that's because on the west coast you either have the absolute best (Niners, Seahawks, Broncos) or the absolute worst like the Raiders; and you don't want to waste your top teams on a game that starts damn near midnight on the east coast.

True. Closer to around 10pm though. I wish there was a midnight game. Despite being the Raiders, that game they had against the Chargers that started at 11:30PM EST was a lot of fun. There's a wacky energy to a game not ending until 2:30 in the morning; even though it was 3 hours earlier local time.

I had no idea Russell Wilson was from Cincinnati.

Atlanta's team is broken as fuck. Not surprised really. I'm disappointed Florida has such a weak team.

Also, much love for my local guys Suggs and Fitz.

And Kaep is from WI? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In other depressing news, apparently the Jets are thinking about keeping the Wildcat formation alive in their playbook with Vick as situational QB. Like that's worked out so well for the team in the past.

Rex Ryan's continued obsession with the wildcat is basically a mental illness at this point. If the read option is walking and Chip Kelly's offense is running, the wildcat is crawling. Is he just not aware there are better options out there or is he just determined to destroy any possible rhythm that Geno Smith might get into?

Rex Ryan's continued obsession with the wildcat is basically a mental illness at this point. If the read option is walking and Chip Kelly's offense is running, the wildcat is crawling. Is he just not aware there are better options out there or is he just determined to destroy any possible rhythm that Geno Smith might get into?

If Vick is the starter, I would by all means run the read option with him, at least make other teams look for it. But if Geno is your guy, having Vick come off the bench every once in a while to "keep the defense off balance" is really dumb. You have to do everything you can to help your young quarterback succeed.

Archived