AcroPHILIA: (acrophobia's strange and incestuous twin) WINNER - Howlin' Howland

Dolorous Gabe

My clue making ability also ebbed, apparently. In my mind, that Tyrion clue was too easy. I was way off... for about the third round in a row. Who'd you all guess for mine and why?

Brienne is the character best known for looking for tormented girls. I actually looked for a clue that led to Tyrion and never considered yours.

I also got #15 wrong. The only short story I've read is Hedge Knight, I'm waiting for the rest to get released in a compendium, so there's no way I could have gotten this one.

I had # 3 wrong, thinking it was Melisandre wanting the babies at the wall.

#15 - Thinking It was Oberyn Martell.

#16 - Originally put in Brienne and then changing it to Sarella. My thinking on that was that 'tormented' referred to her being turned around into Alleras.

#17 - Had Theon, thinking that someone was just calling him a bastard for what he did at Winterfell. LOL

Fave clue was #8 HH

I had Tyrion, before I changed it to Brienne, as I could not think of any other of my guesses as wrong.

I thought 'The usurper trans great separator' was a brilliant clue for Joffrey -- Stannis called him "the usurper Joffrey Baratheon", and Westeros broke down over him, plus he separated eddard's head from his body :ninja:

I thought 'Lonely sparrow, "bastard" too, young beauty' must be for Tyene Sand, as she is being sent to the High Septon, disguised as a septa and the religious on the road to the Septon are called 'sparrows', she is also a bastard (I thought "" meant to signify person is not a bastard in character) and very beautiful.

And I had Oberyn for the Dragonknight.

Most people answered Oberyn to clue 15. I should really apologise to DreamSongs for giving her a historical character. Same goes for Emmit. It was a little harsh having not had any in previous rounds. I was hoping it was relatively common knowledge that Dunk and The Dragonknight had both partaken in tourneys as Mystery Knights.

I should say it can be hard to determine whether someone has got the theme or not based on their words, which is why I've been suggesting upping the points for a correct answer to 3 and scrapping points for identifying the theme in words. I felt I was relatively generous but I did agonise over it a bit. I think if you get the theme and it helps you get the clues right then you don't need anything extra if the ratio between guesser points and author points is 3:1.

I have one other suggestion for the system as well. We could keep the prelim but for the theme only. That wouldn't be as much work for the new host and if you get it correct, close or incorrect it at least tells you something about your current way of thinking, whether to rip it up, tweak it or carry on. That would be my suggestion anyway: a theme but no points for articulating it, 3 guesser points per correct answer and 1 author point per correct answer.

Favourite clue could be increased to 2 points per vote. Just some thoughts anyway.

You're all awesome by the way!

Thanks for hosting Gabe.

Let me explain #15 'Loved Sister. Bided time. Younger brother'

The word sister was capitalized and had a double meaning--he was in love with his sister, but he also carried DarkSister the sword.

Thanks for hosting Gabe.

Let me explain #15 'Loved Sister. Bided time. Younger brother'

The word sister was capitalized and had a double meaning--he was in love with his sister, but he also carried DarkSister the sword.

Sorry I didn't capitalise the S. My bad. This is why it's worth sending an explanation along with the clue to the host. I was trying to avoid having any discernible style other than the words themselves, so it didn't become too easy to guess an author.

It was very clever.

Congratulations, Howlin' Howland!

I thought that Daenerys was the tormented girl who thinks a lot. :P

That one that was Mance, I had absolutely no clue. I ended up putting in a totally wrong guess.

Didn't get either of the "before the series" characters because I thought well they were before the series, so maybe they didn't count. Otherwise I would have gotten Dunk, but still would have missed the Dragonknight.

#5 I went with Littlefinger because I have this vague (and most likely wrong) recollection of the strangler poison being made from some kind of bug or beetle. And I thought maybe use of the word "bailing" was a subtle clue to Baelish.

Those are my most spectacular failures from the final round.

Thanks for being an awesome host, DG. I just want everyone to know I will probably not do as well as he did. :D I'll be deciding on the rules for Game 2 over the weekend, and if all goes well we'll start on Monday.

I think "The usurper trans great separator" was my favorite clue of the season. I had no idea when I first read it and struggled with it. But When I figured it out all the pieces fell into place and I was sure I was right. I voted favorite clue and was surprised no one else did.

Well I got it! And I got Yomi as the author because of the latin. I'm onto you now Yomi! :smug:

It is indeed a great clue, but I voted for yourself HH.

But I must admit that I thought for a long time that the great separator was the sea.

I do not get the Mance clue even now though :blush: :frown5: :unsure: What do I not see?

The usurper trans great separator.

Trans = beyond (first search on a wiki search)

great separator = My first guess was the Narrow Sea. But the Wall was the most premier separator in the story. And once I had the X beyond the wall the clue fell into place. Yea, Usurper was misleading, but it was what Dany called kings.

Archived