Good introduction to Lovecraft?

BrienneofQarth

I have recently become aware (after having found myself at a rather bizarre 'Cthulhu mythos' themed games night....) of HP Lovecraft's work and I want to learn more?

Can anyone recommend a good place to start in his writing, or if it's worth the investment?

So far all I know is 'tentacles', 'dimensions'

Much thanks.

Thanks, ^_^ I'm wondering are there any particularly good stories where I could start? (sorry, I should have been more specific..)

That's why I suggested a "Best of...", they almost all have more or less the same stories (At the Mountains of Madness, the Call of Cthulhu, the Dunwich Horror, etc, etc) and anything in one of those collections is usually worth reading. Just get your hands on one and start at the beginning.

That's why I suggested a "Best of...", they almost all have more or less the same stories (At the Mountains of Madness, the Call of Cthulhu, the Dunwich Horror, etc, etc) and anything in one of those collections is usually worth reading. Just get your hands on one and start at the beginning.

Thanks. Will do, :) Just wanted to know if there was more of a knack to it (started off reading the Conan books with a randomly authored later volume, not a good experience...)

(Preamble: there is endless debate about the public domain nature of Lovecraft's works. But as he died in 1937, it is generally accepted that they are).

Various Lovecraftian stories can be found online here:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

They vary markedly in date, quality, and the embarrassing racism quotient.

Ones I would recommend:

- At the Mountains of Madness. This one is a good deal longer than the rest, so possibly try some others first, then come back to it.

- The Call of Cthulhu. Not so much scary as iconic. And it actually includes the protagonist visiting my home city, which gives me a weird parochial pride.

- The Colour Out of Space.

- The Dunwich Horror.

- The Outsider.

- Pickman's Model.

- The Rats in the Walls.

- The Shadow Out Of Time.

- The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

- The Whisperer In Darkness. Easily the scariest story he ever wrote.

That gives you a decent overview of what is considered his most important stuff.

The Rats in the Walls is freaky as well. I dunno, I found The Music of Eric Zahn to really frighten me. I don't know what it was with it that made it freak me out (in a good way, but still!). Lovecraft really does that creeping, nameless horror really well. When it works, it really freaks you out.

If you just want to familiarise yourself with the Cthuluh mythos then stick to the stories dealing with that perhaps? Not all of Lovecrat's stories are Cthuluh mythos stories.

You can get the complete works of Lovecraft for free online in one big collection (here), so I wouldn't pay for any 'Best Of' collection, even if they do pick out the best ones...

At the Mountains of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu, and A Shadow over Innsmouth are, I think, the most iconic and give you a fairly quick insight into what makes the Cthulhu mythos so popular, so they'd be good places to start.

The Rats in the Walls is freaky as well. I dunno, I found The Music of Eric Zahn to really frighten me. I don't know what it was with it that made it freak me out (in a good way, but still!). Lovecraft really does that creeping, nameless horror really well. When it works, it really freaks you out.

If you just want to familiarise yourself with the Cthuluh mythos then stick to the stories dealing with that perhaps? Not all of Lovecrat's stories are Cthuluh mythos stories.

That was one that stood out to me as well. I have never been much of a short story reader, but I really enjoyed the Lovecraft collection I read.

This is the one that I read. I know I prefer to have a book in my hands but online could certainly feed your hunger.

You can get the complete works of Lovecraft for free online in one big collection (here), so I wouldn't pay for any 'Best Of' collection, even if they do pick out the best ones...

At the Mountains of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu, and A Shadow over Innsmouth are, I think, the most iconic and give you a fairly quick insight into what makes the Cthulhu mythos so popular, so they'd be good places to start.

I suggest not reading the complete works straight through, beginning to end. They get awfully repetitive. Until you've read enough to know if you're a huge fan, pick out the stories from a "best of" list or from the recommendations here.

There are about 20 stories that are basically:

Narrator is a local professional who gets involved with observing a degraded, inbred New England family who are distantly related to a more respectable old family. A monstrously born (usually through some dark rituals) child of the family becomes an adult obsessed with the dark arts. The narrator discovers that the half-eldritch creature has been researching the Necronomicon at the nearby Miskatonic University library. He shuts himself up in the old family mansion performing unspeakable horrors behind locked doors, until the day comes when he summons a lesser evil deity, takes on his hidden indescribable form, and is dragged into another dimension. Incandescence. Decadent. Stygian. The end.

I think the advice of Eponine is spot on, if a little exaggerated. I have no way read all of HPL, but in one anthology with 15-20 stories the familiar and similar themes are already returning frequently. Sure, it is quite well done and creepy and iconic, but it can get tiresome after a while. And as I wrote elswhere he actually spoils some of the stories, when he departs from the general method of only hinting at the unspeakable abominable horror.

Hitting Cthulhu with a steamboat felt definitely anticlimactic, but there are others like "the color from outer space" that are really well done.

As at least some of them are also available free at the Gutenberg sites or similar ones, I recommend to check out some Algernon Blackwood as well. "The Willows" is really one of the most subtle horror stories I have read. In others Blackwood is closer to traditional ghost stories than Lovecraft.

Archived