Michael Brown's death and civil unrest in north St. Louis

TerraPrime

I would say this is unreal and what the fuck is wrong with the US but I remember seeing very very similar scenes in 2005 in Lyon during the riots brought on by the death of two teenagers at the hands of the police.
At the time, I lived in an impoverished part of the city and within days, the streets around looked like a war zone and "CRS" were there 24/24 in full riot gear. It looked surreal.

Still, I can't imagine what these people are going through right now and all we can do is share the local coverage because mainstream media sure ain't saying anything about it.

I think you totally misinterpreted that post.

What Cloudfare appears to be saying, is that it is irresponsible of the police to not have non-lethal riot gear like batons, shields and other riot control gear deployed. Going straight to rifles and vests, while wearing short sleeved shirts instead of riot armor, essentially means that there is no possibility of a force continuum application here.

Meaning that if the crowd makes an aggressive move, it is straight to opening fire on them with rifles, which would result in massive casualties. This means the police aren't following the correct protocol, or the guys that are deployed are not trained riot control officers.

On reflection, I think you are right... My apologies. I am in a long discussion about this with a police officer right now who has taken the side of law enforcement and I just read the post incorrectly.

I am however happy that I got to use the term "What the ever loving name of fuck." That was a personal accomplishment.

On reflection, I think you are right... My apologies. I am in a long discussion about this with a police officer right now who has taken the side of law enforcement and I just read the post incorrectly.

I am however happy that I got to use the term "What the ever loving name of fuck." That was a personal accomplishment.

Hehe.

Is there a decent summary of what's happened available anywhere? This was briefly mentioned in the UK news but not covered in any depth....

Vox is generally a good source for catch-ups: http://www.vox.com/2014/8/11/5993609/michael-brown-ferguson-shooting-protests-riots-police-violence-unarmed

That's true of anything, by the way, if it's a big story Vox probably has a solid catch-up for people coming into the story late.

The initial incident should be fully investigated and the appropriate action taken.

That does not, however, give any license to crowds of rioters to damage public or private property or endanger innocent civilians.

Any mob action should be put down with due force.

Deal with the officer in question appropriately, and deal with the rioters appropriately.

Law and order must be maintained.

FNR,

How is the arrest of the reporters going to be spun and justified? Three different reporters who were minding their own business and covering an obvious news story? Are they going to claim they didn't see the "PRESS" badge (opps... our bad)

This department has serious problems.

Fez,

Yes, indeed, Ferguson police don't need no stinking objective evidence.

MC,

But they can afford an MRAP and all that damn riot gear?

Body cams would have been nice. Without a video I think we will never know for sure exactly what happened. It's a small department, no idea if they are a poor community or not, but they could probably get a grant for at least dash cams. I was under the thinking dash cams were standard equipment like a protective vest and a radio any more.

The MRAP could have been free or next to free. And it might not even be there's. Lots of the responders are from larger departments in the county. I'm speculating that the average picture you are seeing of cops in riot or tactical gear are not from Ferguson.

. Of course, cops massively oppose this. Wonder why?

We do? Poll please? I think the biggest objection I've heard is against being forced to have them still rolling when having a personal conversation, a restroom break, etc.

When a police commander is facing an unruly crowd, the easiest way to difuse the situation may be to tell the police around him to leave. There's a but of course. Police are also tasked for preventing crime and arresting those who commit crimes especially in their presence. These protests aren't occurring in a desert. Has everyone except one or two posters here not been able to view all of the pictures of the looting and damage? The convenience store burnt to the ground? Store after store being looted? How about the female running from a looted store with something in her hand cheerfully looking at the camera saying, "Thank you Harry!", referring to the man shot by police? The police can't just pack up and go home as the community gets damaged and looted.

Sturn,

Why, for the love of God, would they arrest reporters? Are they trying to look like thugs?

Did the reporters get video of the police arresting them? If their account is accurate then punishment is in order. I'm not sure why the police were there to remove the reporters in the first place. There actually may have been a reason Scot. Is there a curfew in the business district in place? Was the McDonalds open for business or was it closed, looted, and the reporters somehow got inside to sit down? If that's the case they shouldn't have gone in there, but the police response is out of line anyway if the reporters' version of things is accurate.

A police commander needs to be getting this shit under control during pre-briefings. The police from various departments responding to Ferguson are probably very amped up facing large crowds that may wish to harm them. Police leadership to calm the police response is as important as community leadership to calm the crowds.

FNR,

How is the arrest of the reporters going to be spun and justified? Three different reporters who were minding their own business and covering an obvious news story? Are they going to claim they didn't see the "PRESS" badge (opps... our bad)

This department has serious problems.

It does not have to be justified. What I mean is, the issues should be separated. There is the issue of the original incident, then there is the issue of the "closing of the ranks" and ham fisted Public Relations approach in the aftermath, and then there is the issue of dealing with the unlawful riots.

These are 3 separate issues, and it is entirely possible for this police force to be found wanting on some of these issues while still being in the right on others.

Considering that the two arrested reporters were later released without charges or explanation, and the police chief, when pressed by an LA Times reporter, said that the arresting officers "were probably somebody who didn't know better," I think we can lay off trying rationalize or excuse what happened in that McDonald's.

Obviously after a tragic event in your neighborhood, you hold a vigil and then you loot the local convenience store (don't forget to burn it) for all of its alcohol and then you loot the Wal Mart, Target and Foot Locker.

A man must be able to peacefully protest in the new Jordans while getting his drink on.

It's developing way too fast to follow in-depth, but the Twitter #Ferguson hashtag is getting some interesting pictures and reports from journalists on there.

Anonymous has released the alleged name of the officer who did the shooting. They also pointed out he has a Confederate flag flying outside his house, which would seem to be unfortunate and inflammatory, if true.

Archived