Archipelacon - GRRM is GoH

Maltaran

Works for me, though I imagine we'll fill them.

I'm planning on being in Stockholm overnight on the 23rd and getting a ferry on the 24th. There will be a trip to Brewdog Stockholm on the 23rd. All welcome!

I suggest we pictch in any extra needed by the time Sam needs to pay the full ammount.

I don't mind doing this for everyone to save on extra paypal fees. I'm happy to let you all pay me (if needed in euros' or UK pounds at the Con. although I am sure we will fill all spots with ease.

Sam I noticed the bed linen is extra, do we pay for this in advance (and has it been added) or can we pay when we get there? I don't know about everyone else, but I want some sheets.

Done!

Money received, thank you very much! :)

I've sent my share of the full cost now.

If we don't fill up the cabins I assume we pitch in some more later?

Money received, thanking ye kindly! :)

I suggest we pictch in any extra needed by the time Sam needs to pay the full ammount.

I don't mind doing this for everyone to save on extra paypal fees. I'm happy to let you all pay me (if needed in euros' or UK pounds at the Con. although I am sure we will fill all spots with ease.

Sam I noticed the bed linen is extra, do we pay for this in advance (and has it been added) or can we pay when we get there? I don't know about everyone else, but I want some sheets.

I imagine we will fill all 12 beds.

I imagine linen is extra to what we've already paid, as it certainly hasn't been added already. When I pay the deposit and confirm the booking I will confirm how we go about paying for linen. I imagine it might be an 'as we arrive' job, but I will double check.

Yes ther are 2 maybe three spaces.

Gah this is a nightmare.

I'm trying to work out howto get there. what route will be best?

Yes I know there are group ferries on the THURSDAY and Monday. But what if I want to travel to arrive on the Wednesday? (and leave on the Monday)

I'm also going to be coming off nights which does mean I will either need a cabin or somewhere to curl up and sleep while on the ferry. Yes I could fly the whole way, but thats not straight forward and not good for someone who's gonna be half asleep.

btw If it helps anyone give advise - I'll be flying from a London Airport. (southend would be a dream come true - but ain't gonna happen. Heathrow and thats a last last resort)

Gah this is a nightmare.

I'm trying to work out howto get there. what route will be best?

Yes I know there are group ferries on the THURSDAY and Monday. But what if I want to travel to arrive on the Wednesday? (and leave on the Monday)

I'm also going to be coming off nights which does mean I will either need a cabin or somewhere to curl up and sleep while on the ferry. Yes I could fly the whole way, but thats not straight forward and not good for someone who's gonna be half asleep.

btw If it helps anyone give advise - I'll be flying from a London Airport. (southend would be a dream come true - but ain't gonna happen. Heathrow and thats a last last resort)

I've been looking at this as well (although I haven't decided which days I'd be travelling yet). I searched for ferries from Stockholm to Mariehamn on this website and there do seem to be a few different options available on the Wednesday (for example).

I was initially confused why the ferries back were all a couple of hours faster than the ferries going there but it made a bit more sense once I realised Sweden and the Aland Islands are in different timezones.

The shortest journey and cheapest tickets seem to be from somewhere called Kapellskar, which is apparently about 60 miles north of Stockholm. The ferries from Stockholm itself take a couple of hours longer.

For flights I'll probably take Ryanair from Stansted to Stockholm.

I know Targh is planning on taking the early ferry from Stockholm on Wednesday and I'll probably join him. Prices aren't that more expensive than what was quoted in the email from Archipelacon. A cabin isn't that much more expensive either, as long as you fill the cabin. For example 4 people in a cheap cabin (room for 2 of the 4 on beds) costs 650 sek one way (£53) whereas 4 people without a cabin costs 540 sek one way (£44).

Extra travel time with the ferry from Stockholm to Ã…land is a good thing mostly as you'll be travelling in a beautiful archipelago in usually great weather.

Most international flights to Stockholm go to Arlanda, wherefrom you can take a bus into Stockholm Central for ~£8 (40-45 minutes), express train for ~£20 (20 minutes), commuter train for ~£10 (38 minutes). From the central station to the ferry terminal (bus stop Londonviadukten) there's a subway ride to Slussen (5 mins) and one of 10-15 buses to Londonviadukten (3 mins). If you go directly from the commuter train to Londonviadukten (within 75 minutes from start of travel) it's included in what you paid from Arlanda. For all other options the commute would cost about £3 extra.

/Johan

What time is this Early Ferry on Wednesday?

I ask this to know if I could fly at stupid o clock on Wednesday and still get the ferry or If I would need to fly out at least the day before.

If I need to be their the day before I may as well think about flying out on the Monday. (I'll have to take the Tuesday night unless I get a late ferry on Wednesday as I finish work at 6:30ammmm) So what things can you recommend for a tourist (possibly on their own) to do in Stockholm for 1.5 days? and can you recommend hotel or area in Stockholm to stay?

The downside If I take the whole week off then I won't have enough days for something like Titancon (if miracles happen)

In the midst of negotiating a new job right now. If this comes together I should have enough spare cash to make the trip. Do we know what the membership cap is at? The website seems to still be open at the moment.

The cap was at 800 members last I heard.

Pebble, the early ferry is at 7:45 am. The late one is at around 4-5 pm and costs twice as much. I think you'd need to arrive in Arlanda at 6 am to have a good chance at catching the early ferry.

There are lots of touristy things to do in Stockholm - the most obvious ones are to visit the City Hall, the Wasa ship museum and to walk in the Old Town, where among all the tourist traps lies a fantastic book store called SF-bokhandeln (prices are higher than in the UK though since most things are imported).

Other than that you have many parks and quays where people like to relax. Let me know what you want to do and I can probably recommend something for you.

Does anybody know if there's any chance to get back from the ferry terminal in Stockholm to Arlanda Airport if you arrive at 10:00, and your flight is at 13:40?

Otherwise I guess I'll add an extra day in Stockholm...

That defiantly means flying in on Monday or Tuesday then.

Sod it I may as well take the Monday off as well, then I don't have to worry about that sleep. ( did think about going on Friday afernoon and bring Hubby for a long weekend away before I leave him, but its a race weekend so thats out) and thus won't need a cabin. (might still be nice to have)

As for what I'd want to do. a few ideas of what to do if the weather is crap. the ship meuseum looks good. and maybe where to head if its nice (which I guess is walking though OLD Town's tourist traps). I may even have a go at City hall tower if its a nice clear day - I did survive the Stairs to Cirth Peader, Can't be as horriffing as that.

Generally I like to take things a bit easy, soak up some of the ambiance and histroy of the places I'm visiting. All I really knew of Stockholm before this was Johan lives there. - I do kinda expect you to organise a group meal on Tuesday evening for all us us that are there then and want to come :P

Alytha, I'd think that's okay. From the ferry terminal to the central station would take about 15-20 minutes (let's say 30 if you're carrying stuff) and from there to Arlanda it'd take 30-50 minutes so you should be at Arlanda 2 hours or more before your flight. Another thing is that the times for the ferry's arrival is often the latest time it'll arrive.

Pebble, I can probably do something, but I'm not usually someone who goes to restaurants so I don't know which one we'd like to go to :)

If you want a view of Stockholm without having to climb that much you can use Katarinahissen (near Slussen) which has an elevator.

We might want a cabin to play games in and to store shopping bags for our tax free shopping on the boat :)

Thanks for the Stockholm information, Johann. Since I've never been there before I thought I may as well arrive a couple of days beforehand and have a look round. I've heard of the Wasa ship museum before, it sounds like an interesting place to visit.

In the midst of negotiating a new job right now. If this comes together I should have enough spare cash to make the trip. Do we know what the membership cap is at? The website seems to still be open at the moment.

On the front page of their website they say there are 154 memberships available so there still seem a reasonable number left but you might not want to wait too long.

Good luck with the new job.

I've just book a membership for Archipelacon.

Is there still space available in the cottages? They sound like a good option for accommodation.

There is certainly space. If you go back a page to post #93 you will find the financial dealings on there. :)

And just to keep us all straight:

Current People in the Cabi (booked 24th - 29th June) are:

1.) SamofTarth (Paid in Full)

2.) Wee_Birdie

3.) Cat

4.) Targh (Paid in Full)

5.) Pebbles (Paid in Full)

6.) Alytha

7.) Steinman/Johan (Paid in Full)

8.) Kat

9.) Pod (Paid in Full)

10.) WilliamJM

11.)

12.) (Space reserved for PhilzeMountainGoat)

I have paid the deposit, and am waiting for a reply re: linens.

If people want a copy of the deposit receipt, just to prove I'm not going to take your money and run for Barbados, give me a shout and I'll email it over.

Archived