Archipelacon - GRRM is GoH

Maltaran

Yes we do! It's banners we don't have! :P

(or was that manners?)

Are you on twitter?

Incase you aren't, on the Archipelacon website's hotel page is an alternative campsite a little further out of Mariehamn than the one we're currently booked into. It has a 7-bed cabin which is bigger and cheaper than the one we're currently booked into.

Are you interested in seeing if it is available, and moving across to that one instead, or would you prefer to just stay where we are booked?

I'm on twitter (@alythadetary), but I don't check it very often..

Concerning the cabin, I don't mind...there's currently 6 of us, right? Might be nice to have some more space. Don't really mind though.

There are indeed 7 of us. Johan asked to join the cabin about the same time you did, so I asked the campsite if they could squish an extra bed in.

Our current cabin is 7 beds squished into one room with a kitchenette. I.e. hostel style at it's 'finest' (read: cheapest)

For a lower price, we could see if the cottage I linked to is available which splits the beds into 3 bedrooms and has a separate kitchen. I just thought it might be worth a look. Yes, we're going for cheap and cheerful, but if the cottage is still available, might be nice to have a bit of comfort with the cheap and cheerful. :)

OK, I just got around to booking my membership and am about to book a flight. Hey, I'm going to this thing!

Question for people: it looks like I can save $100 on my flight to Stockholm if I leave on the 19th instead of the 22nd. Is Midsummer worthwhile?

ETA: If there's any chance of squishing an extra extra person in, I wouldn't mind squishing into a cabin too.

We would have to ask about the 8th bed, because their description says:

One bedrooms with two beds and one sofa bed. In the bedroom there is also a TV.

The upper floor has two bedrooms with one bed and one sofa bed in each room.

Which makes 7 beds. But if the 8th bed is available, more the merrier I say. But no guarantee that cabin is available, and it could be that we're stuck in the currently booked cabin, where we really don't have room for an 8th. 7 is going to be a tight enough squeeze looking at pictures of the room.

Oh right. I did plan to go to this event and did buy my membership. I wouldn't book lodgings in case anything crops up here! :) Happy to room with you all, although I am on the very late side of things!

Edited to add: By the way, how are people planning to get to this thing? And when? Given its quite a journey from Finland/Sweden, I should see can I arrive with everyone else.

Pod, if there's no 8th bed available in the cabin, want to be roommates? My previous con roommates can attest that I am not a serial killer.

Sounds like a very good option! :)

As long as you don't expect any of my former con roomates to attest that I am not a serial killer!

Edited to add: By the way, how are people planning to get to this thing? And when? Given its quite a journey from Finland/Sweden, I should see can I arrive with everyone else.

I'm flying into Helsinki and then getting a flight from Helsinki into Mariehamn (both flights with FinnAir). I arrive in Mariehamn at 17:15pm on 24th June and I leave at 8:55am on June 29th. :)

Others, as far as I know, are flying into Stockholm and then getting the ferry to Mariehamn, but you'd have to ask them for more details on that.

I'm going to head into Stockholm. I gather there's a ferry or something.

I know a couple of people in Stockholm from my WoW days so perhaps I'll go a day or so early to hang out. Anyone else in the area? I know Johan is.

Apologies for not posting sooner and I would like to join you guys in the cabins but I can't fully commit to anything just yet until I get off my ass and find a new job otherwise I won't have the money to pay for the trip even though I have a membership for the con.

Hopefully within the next 5 or 6 weeks I should be in a position to commit and book flights to Stockholm, ferry and accommodation and all of that.

We are organizing group discounts to the ferries from both Stockholm and Turku, so they are the best option from those cities. So don't book those yet, we will have them on our site.

If you are flying to Helsinki, there is the morning train directly to the Turku harbour.

I am following this thread, so if you have any questions, let me know and I try my best to answer them!

Looking forward to this!

Cabin Crew (You know who you are):

First off: The cottage can apparently house 8 people, but 7 people is more comfortable. So, either or, I'm not fussed.

However, price. Apparently the cheaper rates negotiated by Archipelacon with this campsite does not apply for this cottage. Neither does the rate the campsite has listed on that cottage's website apply. Rather than 160Euros per night, which is what their website says, they are quoting 181Euros a night. The exact costings are as follows:

Deposit: due 21/1/15: 183Euros

Final Balance: due 15/5/15: 732

Total - 915Euros (this is the 181 per night + 10Euro Booking fee)

I queried the price, but the booking agent cannot budge. Archipelacon did not manage to secure a discounted rate for this cottage, and this is the price the owners gave them.

So we are paying exactly the same as the current campsite we're booked on. The only difference is:

1.) It is bigger

2.) We are spread across more rooms

3.) We have our own Shower & Toilet

What do people think? Is it worth the run around cancelling the booking we have for a new cottage that won't actually save us anything?

Archived