Archipelacon - GRRM is GoH

Maltaran

I think that does sound like the best option, it seems better than arriving at Mariehamn late at night.

Looks like on the way back on the Monday there are ferries at 4:30am, 5am, 13:45 and 14:25. I'd really prefer one of the latter options but given that my flight back to Stansted is mid-afternoon it looks like I'll be getting up ridiculously early.

Which flight are you on? I lkie flying from Stansted.

Which flight are you on? I lkie flying from Stansted.

I'm taking the 14:35 Ryanair flight from Stockholm Vasteras (which in the finest Ryanair tradition is quite a long way from Stockholm itself) to Stansted.

I did consider another option, there's a different Ryanair flight from another airport Stockholm Skavsta to Stansted at 22:05. That would have had the advantage that it should make the afternoon ferry an option, but it would mean getting back home sometime after midnight which wouldn't be ideal, particularly if I'm going to work the next day.

I'm sure I'm probably going to regret getting the earlier flight when I have to get up ridiculously early on the Mondary morning...

Re: ferries, don't bother with a cabin, especially if you're on the shared ferry. Last time I did a Marienhamn-based convention, it felt more like it started in the ferry bar! There will be plenty of people to chat to and get to know, and there should be an excellent restaurant buffet to enjoy as well. There might even be a convention-sponsored cabin for luggage, if you're lucky.

If we where looking at the convention ferry then I probably wouldn't bother with the cabin. But I would really like one especially as I may be working night shift the day evening before travel. (possible since I'm short on hols now Titaincon has been confirmed.)

I am more than happy to pay the differance on everyone's ticket if I can find 3 other who want to travel on the same date, (ie I pay for the cabin for 4 people and they pay me what a non-cabbin fair would cost. They get to store luggage in the cabin while I pass out in it)

William Still tryng to decide if geting back earlier instead of really late will be better for my shift paterns. and sanity while at the con (and the day afterwards) but I may be traveling with you on that early monday ferry.

Hi there! I'm a local gal and about the ferries, depending on when your flight arrives at arlanda i'd say the quickest way to mariehamn is bus/train from arlanda to centralen in Stockholm and then bus to Kapellskär and viking line to mariehamn. You have the option to book the transfer bus when you book the ferry tickets. This ferry has a reasonable timetable and has less of a party/cruise vibe. And you don't risk waking up in finland because you slept through the mariehamn stop :p

I will try to be in mariehamn a lot during the con (depending on how my work situation is by then) so i'll be happy to show you guys around or just hang out :) i also have a car if anyone needs a ride somewhere. (and ofc i will be at the con itself)

Hi there! I'm a local gal and about the ferries, depending on when your flight arrives at arlanda i'd say the quickest way to mariehamn is bus/train from arlanda to centralen in Stockholm and then bus to Kapellskär and viking line to mariehamn. You have the option to book the transfer bus when you book the ferry tickets. This ferry has a reasonable timetable and has less of a party/cruise vibe. And you don't risk waking up in finland because you slept through the mariehamn stop :P

I will try to be in mariehamn a lot during the con (depending on how my work situation is by then) so i'll be happy to show you guys around or just hang out :) i also have a car if anyone needs a ride somewhere. (and ofc i will be at the con itself)

can you provide a link to the ferry with a reasonable time table please?

The Cabins are now full.

People in the Cabin are:

1.) SamofTarth (Paid in Full + Paid Linens)

2.) Wee_Birdie

3.) Cat (Paid in Full)

4.) Targh (Paid in Full)

5.) Pebbles (Paid in Full)

6.) Alytha (Paid in Full + Paid Linens)

7.) Steinman/Johan (Paid in Full)

8.) Kat

9.) Pod (Paid in Full)

10.) WilliamJM (Paid in Full)

11.) Wolfgang (Paid in Full + Paid Linens)

12.) PhilMG (Paid in Full + Paid Linens)

Which works out quite nicely 6 females/6 males if that's how we want to divide the cabins. :)

Also, for the 2 left to pay, the exchange rates quoted are no longer accurate. They are now:

£86 (which is room + linens) = $130 or 120Euros

Apologies for this, but unfortunately I don't control the exchange rate.

Those who have paid for the room but not paid for the linens - just pay me the 9Euros at the Con please. It's a bit of a silly amount to be losing fees to Paypal for.

I'm definitely going, but still thinking about accommodation. If anyone might like to share then PM me! I'll be going back on the group ferry to Stockholm on Monday, but haven't decided where to fly out to nor when yet. It's most likely that I'll take the group ferry on Thursday, however.

Hey!

As tardisaur posted erlier, if you traveling via Stockholm, the quickest and most affordable way is bus from whatever Airport to Cityterminalen (stockholm)(Arlanda - Cityterminalen ~45 min), then bus to Kapellskär (~1.5h), and then the Viking Line Ferry to Mariehamn (~2.5h). You should not need a cabin since it is 2.5h, and they have a room for luggage that are locked during the voyage. If you need any help just ask and if I can I will try my best to help. I live in Mariehamn, and will also go to the Con (if i am able to get a membership). Like tardisaur I also got a car so if you need a ride somewhere I could help with that (If I got the time [emoji14] )

I've now booked my flights

Tues 23rd Stansted > Skavsta 08:20 > 11:35

Mon 29th Skavsta > Stansted 22:05 > 23:25

If anyone is on the same flight or landing in Skavsta at about the same time please let me know.

Also if anyone is staying in Stockholm on Tuesday night, and you don't mind me being near/same hotel or want to share a room for the night please let me know. I've not looked at hotels yet.

I'm assuming that the con ferry arriving back in Stockholm at 6pm will give me plenty of time to get to the airport and check my bag in. (if this is not the case can someone please let me know)

Also if anyone knows how to book con ferry please can you let me know. All I can find on the Aechipelacon webiste is that there is one and the time.

Stockholm Ferry list on Wednesday for the early ferry 07:45am

Johan is it best if one person books (is it cheeper) if not we can book seperatly?

Pebble

Steinman / Johan

Williamjm ? Maybe

Targh ? Maybe

Might get cabin if everyone wants one (I don't need it now since not working the night before)

I'd probably be up for sharing a room, pebble. I intend to be in Brewdog (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/BrewDog+Bar/@59.3287951,18.0741295,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x3a1b6df31875ac9d) on the evening of the 23rd, so somewhere not a million miles from there and the ferry terminal would be preferable.

I was thinking of somewhere not too far from the ferry terminal (hopefully a short 10 min Pebble pace with luggage walk or at worst a short bus ride) I want to make things as easy as possible when getting on that early ferry.

I've not looked yet to see if there is suitable accomidation that close to the ferry. but if thats suits you then great. Are you staying just tuesday night in Stockholm? or will you be there longer?

If we don't want a cabin there doesn't seem to be a difference in prices/person if you book 1 or 4, but I can book it for us all. I think I need your real names for it.

All I've seen about the group travel is the day and time.

Pebble, getting back at 6 pm might be problematic for a 10 pm flight from Skavsta. It'd take about 15-25 minutes to get from the ferry to the city terminal and from the city terminal it's 80-90 minutes with the bus to the airport. The problem though is that they haven't released the timetables for the buses from the 29th of June yet. I think they arrange the buses so that there are buses departing from Stockholm in time for flights from Skavsta, but I'm not sure.

There are a couple of hotels within 200-300 m of the ferry terminal (search for hotels near Londonviadukten) but not that many. If you search for hotels near Slussen you'll have a 2-3 min bus ride to the bus stop Londonviadukten. Near there you can also stay in hotels close to Folkungagatan as there's also a bus going to the ferry terminal from that street, though it doesn't go as often as buses from Slussen.

I'm thinking of definitely getting the con ferry back, but I'm unsure about which ferry to get out. The early Wednesday ferry seems very early. But the late one seems very late... If there's a team of us on the early ferry, that'd probably convince me though!

Re: cabins, I don't really mind, though with the time of day, a bed will be mighty tempting. I'll only have a rucksack anyway, so baggage not an issue.

Archipelacon recommend Scandic Ariadne as the nearest hotel to the ferry. Pebble, what do you think? I'm interested in sharing...

May also be on one of Pebble's flights, but may tag a holiday on one end, so not sure which.

That does look a a wee bit tight. If I was hand luggage only I'd take the chance. but with a suitcase.....

Looks like I'll be traveling back on an earlier ferry. Which means I may as well book both journeys myself (unless people want a cabin)

we just need to all confrim we are booking the same ferry.

Archived