What about Rickon?

Little Member

I have serious Rickon problems. Most of them due to the fact that he hasn't been so much as a blip on the radar in the past few books.

When last seen, he was quite a damaged little kid. Shaggydog's aggression is a kind of worrying symbol of this. I have always seen the misnomer of his direwolf's name as suggesting how far divorced the child is from the reality of the Stark's situation. It suggests his confusion.

But what is he now? Or more importantly, what can he ever be? He is still too young to be a fighter, and has neither Arya's kill skills, Sansa's potential for politicking, or Bran's Weirwoody goodness. Is he still too young to develop into any of these things? I sometimes even wonder whether Rickon might be a victim of Martin's scrapping of the 'five year gap'....

When, or indeed if, he reappears it's going to be a hell of a job to re-integrate him into the story; an even bigger one to re-integrate him into the Starks.

Not that I'm saying GRRM can't do it.... :wideeyed:

I think most of us agree on that. Rickon at this point in time, won't be doing any battle planning or fighting; unless he is warging Shaggydog. What he will be is rallying cry for the North and the future.

I have serious Rickon problems. Most of them due to the fact that he hasn't been so much as a blip on the radar in the past few books.

When last seen, he was quite a damaged little kid. Shaggydog's aggression is a kind of worrying symbol of this. I have always seen the misnomer of his direwolf's name as suggesting how far divorced the child is from the reality of the Stark's situation. It suggests his confusion.

But what is he now? Or more importantly, what can he ever be? He is still too young to be a fighter, and has neither Arya's kill skills, Sansa's potential for politicking, or Bran's Weirwoody goodness. Is he still too young to develop into any of these things? I sometimes even wonder whether Rickon might be a victim of Martin's scrapping of the 'five year gap'....

When, or indeed if, he reappears it's going to be a hell of a job to re-integrate him into the story; an even bigger one to re-integrate him into the Starks.

Not that I'm saying GRRM can't do it.... :wideeyed:

Yeah, as time goes on I grow more and more convinced the original plan of the "five year gap" was conceived with Rickon heavily in mind. It would move him from 4/5 to 9/10, putting him on the cusp of the Bran/Arya age range, i.e. Enough To Be A POV Character and Truly Matter.

Yeah, as time goes on I grow more and more convinced the original plan of the "five year gap" was conceived with Rickon heavily in mind. It would move him from 4/5 to 9/10, putting him on the cusp of the Bran/Arya age range, i.e. Enough To Be A POV Character and Truly Matter.

:agree: Yes, Rickon, and I wonder, maybe SweetRobin, too? Didn't GRRM say somewhere that one of his biggest regrets is the ages of the Stark children...maybe this is why? I hope not.....

:agree: Yes, Rickon, and I wonder, maybe SweetRobin, too? Didn't GRRM say somewhere that one of his biggest regrets is the ages of the Stark children...maybe this is why? I hope not.....

Almost certainly, the 5 year gap would make Rickon closer to Bran's age, and pushes Arya, Sansa and Bran above 16.

ETA: Same for Edric Storm and Edric Dayne.

A 10 year-old Rickon realistically can't do much more than a 5 year-old Rickon. A 10 year-old can't be a warrior or army commander either. All Rickon can be is a symbol but a very important symbol. The northmen will fight for him, someone else will have to lead the troops - a Glover or Manderly perhaps - but Rickon being alive means that Littlefinger's and the Bolton's and Lannister's plans to claim Winterfell are ruined. And Rickon being savage and wild will just make the northmen love him even more. I think Rickon is very important.

Good points about Rickon not being built up like a Shaggydog.

I think that while the names are important and can give us clues about a character it does not necessarily tell us about their ends so I wouldn't use the name Shaggydog to say Rickon will get killed off.

Jon's wolf name is Ghost. Now Jon may live as Ghost for a period of time in the next book but most of the theories about his end are him being king or staying at the Wall. Maybe he'll be ghost for some period but that does not mean that in the end he'll just be Ghost.

Arya's is Nymeria. While she does have parallels she's not going to end up married to Trystane Martell and co rule with him in Dorne.

Bran's is Summer. He may bring about Summer but I doubt it's going to be like oh ok let him die now. That's the end for him after he helps bring it about. Plus, the last story is ADoS. Spring has to come first.

Arya's is Nymeria. While she does have parallels she's not going to end up married to Trystane Martell and co rule with him in Dorne.

The boy apparently has a thing for blondes but Arya is Arya. Never say never :)

“The Lannisters are proud,” Jon observed. “You’d think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother’s House equal in honor to the king’s.”

“The woman is important too!” Arya protested.

In Dorne, the woman is more important than the rest of Westeros.

The boy apparently has a thing for blondes but Arya is Arya. Never say never :)

“The Lannisters are proud,” Jon observed. “You’d think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother’s House equal in honor to the king’s.”

“The woman is important too!” Arya protested.

In Dorne, the woman is more important than the rest of Westeros.

But after that Jon convinces her that it's stupid hence the wolf with the fish in its mouth line which turned out to foreshadow Uncat.

That still doesn't point to a marriage to Trystane. TBH, I know people can have different interpretations but I personally don't see how after the last chapter especially it can still be thought that she will end up happily married with kids in the end. The Arya/Gendry shippers for example are acting like she's still like ACoK/ASoS and the way she is now is just a minor set back.

I agree that Arya might not have a happy ending and that is the opinion I am leaning towards. There are some hints that Arya might become the master of whisperers. Or she might even die. But still, none of the hints/foreshadowing are conclusive.

Agreed. I especially like the idea of Davos developing fatherly emotions for Rickon. He thinks that he was not a good enough father to his sons. He didnot see his youngest sons much and they probably do not know him. He feels remorse for how Devan is influenced by Mel.

Davos lost four sons and Rickon lost his father. Davos would no doubt feel some compassion for the boy, and I think I can l see him literally putting his neck on the line for Rickon at the end.

Davos lost four sons and Rickon lost his father. Davos would no doubt feel some compassion for the boy, and I think I can l see him literally putting his neck on the line for Rickon at the end.

That would be really sweet and Davos is just such a nice guy anyway. Very similar to Ned. I think Manderly made a good choice to send Davos. Even if he is a southron sworn to Stannis, he would die before he let any harm come to Rickon.

I think it is clear that Davos will return Rickon to Lord Manderly who will use him as a symbolic spearhead for the much loved Stark restoration.. That is Lord Manderly's price in supporting Stannis, and we all know that Stannis needs Wyman's aid in his war.. Stannis needs the power, men, ships and wealth of White Harbor to be in equal footing with his enemies, and we all know that Cersei and her her council have done almost everything they can to prevent Stannis to ally with Lord Manderly.. I also have a feeling Lord Wyman has already gave up the idea of leaving Winterfell alive, but he has made sure that everything is in place, and when Rickon Stark, his only and only liege lord arrives with his direwolf, rest assured that the entire might of White Harbor and all the lords and lands it influences will rally behind him to kick some Bolton and Frey @ss..

I think it is clear that Davos will return Rickon to Lord Manderly who will use him as a symbolic spearhead for the much loved Stark restoration.. That is Lord Manderly's price in supporting Stannis, and we all know that Stannis needs Wyman's aid in his war.. Stannis needs the power, men, ships and wealth of White Harbor to be in equal footing with his enemies, and we all know that Cersei and her her council have done almost everything they can to prevent Stannis to ally with Lord Manderly.. I also have a feeling Lord Wyman has already gave up the idea of leaving Winterfell alive, but he has made sure that everything is in place, and when Rickon Stark, his only and only liege lord arrives with his direwolf, rest assured that the entire might of White Harbor and all the lords and lands it influences will rally behind him to kick some Bolton and Frey @ss..

I wonder whom Wylis will have Rickon wed?

"I will be safe in Highgarden. Willas will keep me safe."

"But he does not know you," Dontos insisted, "and he will not love you. Jonquil, Jonquil, open your sweet eyes, these Tyrells care nothing for you. It's your claim they mean to wed."

"My claim?" She was lost for a moment.

"Sweetling," he told her, "you are heir to Winterfell." He grabbed her again, pleading that she must not do this thing, and Sansa wrenched free and left him swaying beneath the heart tree. She had not visited the godswood since.

But she had not forgotten his words, either. The heir to Winterfell, she would think as she lay abed at night. It's your claim they mean to wed. Sansa had grown up with three brothers. She never thought to have a claim, but with Bran and Rickon dead . . . It doesn't matter, there's still Robb, he's a man grown now, and soon he'll wed and have a son. Anyway, Willas Tyrell will have Highgarden, what would he want with Winterfell?

Sansa II, Storm

Any guesses?

I am hoping Rickon will meet a grandma and bastard uncle or aunt and perhaps a legitimate one too. We do not know where Lyarra stark is. We do not get any sense from Ned about mourning his mother.

I think therefore Lyarra is alive. If she takes after her dad she is a wanderer. (Perhaps even Rodrik is still alive!!!!). Lyarra is likely to be 56 or so and Rodrik 80 years. Where are they? Who are they? Skagos is as good a place as any. They may be in Essos or perhaps Dorne.

Archived