Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 5

ctid1977

So many comments, so little news. :crying:

So true :-(

I started the books in late 2012 and finished them right before S4 started. I also didn't watch the show until after I read the subsequent book (S1 after finishing book 1, S2 after book 2 and so on) as I was trying to catch up to S3 at the time. This is my first real break from any new ASOIAF material ever. It's been brutal to say the least, I've been devouring all of the set updates and watched just about every theory/speculation video I could find on youtube. The drought after those juicy Draznak's Pit photos has been especially tough this week.

I actually thought the marketing was more "generous" than S3, and they released more trailers etc, but then again I wasn't paying attention for the marketing for S1/S2 so I can't compare for those years. I only got REALLY into the show while S2 was airing and I was reading the books.

Retrospectively this is my favourite teaser/trailer of them all, not that I'm biased or anything. :wub:

wow, so i have not discussed much here recently, but some interesting news lately that provokes its own speculation.

1. No Iron Islands!!!

This reduces my hopes to see several other characters as well (fArya, fAegon) and has me thinking the story in the show will go something like this:

- Yara captured by Boltons who are staking their claim in the North and taking back castles held by IB. Yara is then freed by Theon, and recaptured by Stannis. No fArya. If we ever get Euron, he will simply take charge of the Islands after whatever takes place in the North, and will be season 6.

2. Mystery character in Dorne. Best or most interesting guesses are Gendry, Lancel, or the Queen of Thorns. If Gendry, it will be because he will somewhat replace fAegon as the claim Dorne decides to back. If Lancel, it will be because the theory that the rise of the Sparrow movement is linked to Dorne is correct, and Lancel will help clarify this and tie things in Dorne to events in KL. If the Queen of Thorns, it will have interesting implications for what the Tyrells have been up to. Brienne could also show up in Dorne eventually, however not early on, so she is likely not the mystery character spotted in Dorne.

wow, so i have not discussed much here recently, but some interesting news lately that provokes its own speculation.

1. No Iron Islands!!!

This reduces my hopes to see several other characters as well (fArya, fAegon) and has me thinking the story in the show will go something like this:

- Yara captured by Boltons who are staking their claim in the North and taking back castles held by IB. Yara is then freed by Theon, and recaptured by Stannis. No fArya. If we ever get Euron, he will simply take charge of the Islands after whatever takes place in the North, and will be season 6.

2. Mystery character in Dorne. Best or most interesting guesses are Gendry, Lancel, or the Queen of Thorns. If Gendry, it will be because he will somewhat replace fAegon as the claim Dorne decides to back. If Lancel, it will be because the theory that the rise of the Sparrow movement is linked to Dorne is correct, and Lancel will help clarify this and tie things in Dorne to events in KL. If the Queen of Thorns, it will have interesting implications for what the Tyrells have been up to. Brienne could also show up in Dorne eventually, however not early on, so she is likely not the mystery character spotted in Dorne.

1. They could have done that last season, if they wanted Yara to get captured. Seems rather pointless now. I think she will get captured by Stannis at Deepwood Motte.

2. Gendry will not in any way replace Aegon's role. He has no intention of going after the IT. And Dorne are not going to back someone without them benefiting in some way shape or form, plus no one is going to back a bastard. However if someone needs to take Aegon's role my bet would be on Trystane, ruling through Myrcella (Much bigger Queenmaker plot if you will).

1. They could have done that last season, if they wanted Yara to get captured. Seems rather pointless now. I think she will get captured by Stannis at Deepwood Motte.

2. Gendry will not in any way replace Aegon's role. He has no intention of going after the IT. And Dorne are not going to back someone without them benefiting in some way shape or form, plus no one is going to back a bastard. However if someone needs to take Aegon's role my bet would be on Trystane, ruling through Myrcella (Much bigger Queenmaker plot if you will).

Particularly not the bastard of a man who ascended to the throne over the corpses of the current Prince of Dorne's niece and nephew

1. No Iron Islands!!!

Why would the lack of Greyjoy uncles mean no fArya? That makes no sense.

The Telltale Game coming out next year to accompany the season seems like it will feature Deepwood Motte, so it makes sense that it would feature in s5 too. They used "#IronFromIce" to market/tease it on Twitter and used quotes from ADWD relating to the northern tribes that join Stannis.

Also these cuts don't mean Gemma Whelan won't be in s5; it's very likely that she will be, given that they bothered to keep her in s3 and 4. We may even see Pyke and the Iron Islands again, as Hibberd said in response to Colonel Green's comment, just not the AFFC subplot set there. I imagine we'll get some version of Asha's ADWD chapters in s5 too.

Are those games worth checking out? I recently picked up the Walking Dead ones but haven't had time to play them yet.

It could be interesting for them to use the fact that Balon hasn't died yet on the show as a plot point for Stannis to start to doubt Mel's powers in season 5. If they do make that a point it could add to when she tells Jon about what she sees about him in the flames in a way that leads the audience to speculate on weather she really sees the future or not.

Archived