Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 5

ctid1977

Finn Jones?

Yes, there was an interview (maybe somebody has still the link? I'm on my mobile phone atm and can't load videos with my data volume), where he said, Theon will become the hero he always wanted to be (or something like that) and talked about Theon's/Reek's journey.

Edit: Only 5 pages more till the 200 (again), keep talking on!

Just as the Golden Company got several name drops in season 4, I predict that Euron will get some key mentions in season 5. Him becoming an actual character in the show will simply correspond to when the show's version of the story is ready for him. Which means season 6.

From the books we know that Euron is making loads of trouble specifically in the South. Having viewers care about the trouble he is making in the South requires featuring a Southern place first, enough to build viewer interest. In the books Euron attacks the Reach, not Dorne, nevertheless he seems destined for a collision with the Southern coalition that will gather around fAegon in the books, which means Dorne's candidate in the show ( be it Trystane or Gendry, or someone else).

Euron should loom heavily over Season 5. I wrote this about a couple of weeks ago for fun but didn't post it. Thought about making it its own thread but...meh. If anyone cares to read it since its the offseason and we don't have that much to talk about during this slow weekend:

Season 5, Episode 4

Winterfell.

Roose sits at the high table. Ramsay walks in with Reek tagging along. Ramsay walks up to stand by his father while Theon stands before them.

Theon: You summoned me, m'Lord.

Roose: I need to speak with you. There was a raven today from Seagard, carrying news of Pyke.

Reek perks up a little. Ramsay looks at Roose.

Roose: Balon Greyjoy is dead. He died during a storm - fell from a castle bridge into the sea.

Reek starts to twitch dryly, then with tears. He is breaking with emotion and can't speak. Roose continues.

Roose: I know this must be hard for you, but they say your uncle sailed into Pyke on the day of your father's death after a three year absence and now sits the Seastone chair. I need to know, who is he?

Theon looks devastated, more than usual. Ramsay goes up to Theon to get him to talk. His words are quiet and hidden from Roose. He is very frustrated that part of Theon is still alive in Reek and that his father's request isn't helping purge this last bit of Theon.

Ramsay: You are REEK - a pathetic rat. You don't have to remember for long, but father wants to learn from Theon. You wouldn't want to disappoint father, would you? That would disappoint me. You are Reek. Remember your name.

Reek looks up to speak to Roose, calming himself. Ramsay walks off to the side, but stands closer this time to Reek.

Theon: Euron Greyjoy the... the Crow's Eye, they call him.

Roose: Why is he called the Crow's Eye?

Theon: He... always wears an eyepatch, m'Lord. One eye they call his "smiling eye" and the other... (somewhat smiling excited) Reek knows. Reek knows things! Before the rebellion, Theon Greyjoy was a son, a terrible son. He didn't want to study his histories.

Reek quickly turns to sad and excited. He starts to break down, rushing, rambling, overcome with emotion.

Theon: He only wanted to learn to fight like his older brothers, to please his father. He shouldn't have; he wouldn't have learned anything. Theon was weak, he was always making trouble; he was a bad child. He deserved...

Roose: Euron.

Reek stops talking after Roose halts him, sobbing and slobbering. Ramsay is perturbed.

Roose: What does all this blathering have to do with the Crow's Eye.

Reek collects himself.

Theon: His father had already disciplined him, but Theon never learned his lessons. His... his uncle was a much older boy, a man. He KNEW what to do.

Roose looks looks bemused, yet interested.

Theon: Theon lied alone in his bed at night. In the darkness, he heard the creek of an iron hinge. This made Theon jump; it startled him. Theon looked around, but no one was there. Then he was grabbed and pressed up against his bed. It was his uncle. He said Theon had been a bad boy and asked if Theon wanted to see what was underneath his patch, if he wanted to see his eye. Theon screamed, "no, No! I DON'T WANT TO!"

Reek is losing it, but he remains intelligible. He switches into first person as the memory becomes more real.

Theon: Euron reached up and ripped off his eyepatch, but I closed my eyes. I was a coward, I was so scared... I wasn't strong like your Ramsay. Euron told me to look at his eye; he made me! It was black, so black, as dark as the night, a deep pool shining with malice. I... I... don't remember the rest, but I wanted to be a good boy. That eye... If only I had listened... listened to that hinge... that rusted iron hinge...

Reek has once again broken down into an incommunicable state.

Ramsay: (amused) Did your uncle fancy you, Reek?

Theon realizes what he's done speaking as Theon and comes to.

Theon: No... no... He was always luring women away from their husbands, other captains. Years ago, Theon heard he seduced the wife of Lord Botley of Lordsport. Shaming such a prominent House was too far. That's why Lord Balon banished the Crow's Eye.

Roose: I see... (pause) Euron has been pulling the iron soldiers off of the coast, from the Stony Shore all the way to Deepwood Motte. What are his intentions?

Theon: I... I don't know, m'Lord. He only does what he wants to do, and what he wants each day no man can say. Euron was always unpredictable. He planned the attack on Lannisport during the rebellion - took the whole Lannister fleet unawares at anchor and burned every ship. His ship...the Silence... he has a red longship with black sails embezzled with a golden kraken. It's powerful, yet lean. He crews it with captives he impresses and mutilates. He cuts out their tongues, that way they'll never betray him.

Reek is startled and briefly glances at Ramsay, realizing he might be giving him ideas.

Roose: Many years ago I saw a ship like that lurking off the Dreadfort. I sent our own in pursuit. They ventured after it beyond the horizon but ... none ever returned. (to Reek) That will be all.. Reek. You may go.

Reek gives an awkward bow and sheepishly trudges out. Roose turns to Ramsay.

Roose: It seems you weren't the first person to torment the boy.

Ramsay gives a gesture conveying a lack of concern.

Ramsay: So his savage uncle molested him, what of it? Theon was still a Greyjoy when I captured him. I ...MADE... Reek. And this is good news, the ironborn are leaving the North. They know they can't stand against us now.

Roose: Maybe, but if what your pet says is true, the Crow's Eye doesn't sound like a person wont to run. That raid on Lannisport... it was the talk of every Lord in the Seven Kingdoms. Everyone wondered how the Iron Islands could sack Lord Tywin's mighty fleet. It was the work of brilliance. Theon was mad and stupid, Balon... madder and foolish, but this Euron... the maddest and cunning. He must have something larger planned.

Ramsay: If he does it has nothing to do with us. You said it yourself, he is not stupid. Winter IS coming. Why do you think they're leaving?

Roose ponders this a second.

Roose: You're right. With winter fast approaching, he knows he can't hold the north when the storms come. They'd tear the ironfleet apart. Euron isn't our problem anymore, the northern coast is too unruly and we're too far inland. The North has no part in his plans... only Stannis remains. And if Stannis marches on Winterfell then we'll deal with him, and if not, well...

Roose looks out a window.

Roose: ...the snows will.

What about Emma Maguire alias "Winterfell worker"?

Really, if they wanted Yara to be a captive of the Boltons, it would have happened last season, now I'm 100% sure it won't.

Edit: I'm still thinking she'll get her ADWD storyline, just without the Kingsmoot, aso. (her AFFC chapters) before, but she will end up with Stannis & Theon.

On the contrary. If it happens, you can see events in season 4 as setting it up:

She ran away from Ramsay and disowned Theon, leaving him to continued abuse. This set up a "chase" for Ramsay later, where he continues to toy with her by letting her run knowing he will catch her eventually and demeaning her in the process. It also set up an inversion, where now, if Theon rescues Yara, it really turns the tables because she failed to recue him.

That said, Emma Maguire does look quite a bit like Maisie, so maybe there is hope for fArya.

What was wrong with HotU?

That chapter has Dany's visions, with tons and tons and tons of foreshadowing - all kinds of little scenes that only made sense after Storm of Swords or later books came out (the Red Wedding, for example), and other scenes that don't make sense yet. It's one of the main starting points for many, many fan theories for where the books are heading. Imagine if you're halfway through Macbeth, and you know that line about Birnam Wood and Dunsinane is going to come into play somehow, but you're not sure how - the House of the Undying chapter has dozens of things like that.

Personally I thought the show scene was fine - and there's no way they could have done the book scene justice in the TV show, and it probably would have just looked like a big confusing dream sequence. But in the show it's not really a giant moment, whereas in the book it is.

On Thorne and TV "mak[ing] things more black and white": usually, yes, but I disagree with regards to Thorne. I find him a much more interesting character on the show than he is in the books.

And on needing to deal with the Freys: well, we still can't be sure if that's even where the books are headed - Old Man Walder hasn't appeared in the books since the Red Wedding, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he dies happy (albeit soon) in bed. It's the kind of non-justice that Martin seems to enjoy.

FArya?

The character itself (herself) is a huge spoiler for many other characters' storylines.

...Mhm, let's just say, she's a person who affects and especially connects(!) quasi all Northern storylines (Theon's, The Bolton's, Jon's, Stannis', Mance's, Northmen's...) and is so an important and essential character and 'catalyst' for many events.

i think lancel will come back for Tywin's funeral. Cersei will try to manipulate him (jaime will see) but a damaged lancel will turn to the new high sparrow (after the first one dies, maybe he kills the first one) and dob cersei in. I think cersei will use loras to get margery into questioning.

I don't think they are cutting fArya

Lancel's all but confirmed to have returned. He is necessary because in show canon he is the only one Cersei's "cheated" on Jaime with post-Robert. There hasn't really been any fArya news. I suppose she COULD be written around but it would nearly be as tough as writing around Lancel would have been.

Don't get me wrong Lancel is important, and I'm glad that he's in. However I must emphasize once again, that I would let them screw around with the other storylines if they just managed to nail the Northern storyline.

You're totally right. which is why i don't think they are cutting fArya. If fArya is anyone else but a random little girl or jeyne poole i will be pissed. if they are replacing her with someone we know then it'd be best if they leave her out. AHHHH i cann't think about theem leaving fArya and Manderley out its too depressing.

Since they're transposing Jaime's material there it warrants an increase in its screentime to accommodate his arc as well as the Martell family material BUT I doubt it will be in more than six or seven episodes of s5, as opposed to the other three locations I mentioned above which will probably appear eight or nine times.

Working backwards from what we have seen apparently most of Jamie's action in Dorne takes place in the latter half of season 3, especially if Nikolaj with David Nutter for E9 and E10.

So where is Jamie say E1-E6 or even E7?

I am thinking that season 5 , E1, will start with Ellaria arriving back in Dorne, various 'front' Dorne material will occupy E1-E7, or so. One thing , Indira Varma is too good an actress to let go to waste, so her role will probably be expanded , after all Ellaria is high born Dorne so may play a bigger role at court than she does in the books.

We do see Indira in those 'palace' scenes in the set sneaks.

It's kind of confusing , all the Dornish actors are there in Spain right now so the other directors should be directing the other episode's scenes.

Working backwards from what we have seen apparently most of Jamie's action in Dorne takes place in the latter half of season 3, especially if Nikolaj with David Nutter for E9 and E10.So where is Jamie say E1-E6 or even E7?I am thinking that season 5 , E1, will start with Ellaria arriving back in Dorne, various 'front' Dorne material will occupy E1-E7, or so. One thing , Indira Varma is too good an actress to let go to waste, so her role will probably be expanded , after all Ellaria is high born Dorne so may play a bigger role at court than she does in the books.We do see Indira in those 'palace' scenes in the set sneaks.It's kind of confusing , all the Dornish actors are there in Spain right now so the other directors should be directing the other episode's scenes.

Sorry what is this based on? I have seen no info at all on when which scenes take place.

Working backwards from what we have seen apparently most of Jamie's action in Dorne takes place in the latter half of season 3, especially if Nikolaj with David Nutter for E9 and E10.

So where is Jamie say E1-E6 or even E7?

I am thinking that season 5 , E1, will start with Ellaria arriving back in Dorne, various 'front' Dorne material will occupy E1-E7, or so. One thing , Indira Varma is too good an actress to let go to waste, so her role will probably be expanded , after all Ellaria is high born Dorne so may play a bigger role at court than she does in the books.

We do see Indira in those 'palace' scenes in the set sneaks.

It's kind of confusing , all the Dornish actors are there in Spain right now so the other directors should be directing the other episode's scenes.

Jamie leaves for Dorne I think by episode 4 (according to captain's cv be present in episode 4 and 5) and probably be in Dorne from epsidoe 6 onward.

Archived