Purely "Good" Characters?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Yeah. Brienne fought the Mad Dog of Saltpans to save an inn full of little kids. She stood up to a dozen armed guards in order to save a woman from rape. I don't believe there is another character in this series who is as purely good as Brienne.

:agree: It's not surprising considering she's a descendant of Dunk.

Hey! Brienne is so good that she wasn't even happy when Hyle told her that most of those asses had been killed or maimed. She had pity for the jerks who lied to her, humiliated her, and put her at serious risk of getting raped. She's that goodhearted.

It's true. Brienne has real mercy and kindness in her heart. Hell, she's even forgiven Jamie.

That puts her ahead of cold justice that Ned and Jon have.

Even exceptionally good character like Sansa think about killing people. Brienne's thoughts are pure.

I think Ser Barristan, though he has fought in many wars. Murder is a mortal sin afterall, so maybe he shouldn't be included.

Who has not killed anyone and done absolutely nothing wrong ever...Nobody.

However, you did say "good" which allows for some leeway. In that case I'd have to say...I suppose Ser Barristan has only ever had good motives. Same with Lord Davos, Eddard, Danaerys has good intentions but I think a bit of Targaryen insanity has corrupted her there.

Catelyn had good intentions too as does Edmure. The Tyrells may be trying to claim the Iron Throne but they've managed to keep the peace in The Reach and get as few of their soldiers killed as possible in the process. Sure, Olenna contributed to Joffrey's death but he was just pure evil. He would've gotten tired of Margaery and any hope of redemption would be long lost.

Tommen and Kevan also have/had good intentions. Tyrion maybe but he seems rather focused on revenge because his sister was never nice to him :P

Also let's not forget fan-favourites Lords Janos Slynt, Walder Frey and Roose Bolton. Truly they really touch my heart. Or maybe that's a dagger.

why is Ned on this list? when I see what some people consider unforgivable sins I don't get why he's on the list...

Well, perhaps because he generally does what he considers the morally right thing in the given circumstances even if it is not easy or pleasant and is always willing to take personal responsibility for his actions. Because he loses the Game of Thrones and dies for trying to spare the life of his enemy and her children. Because he confronts his king about the deaths of the Targaryen children and the planned assassination of a thirteen-year-old girl and her unborn child. Because he gives up his honour (which he values) and part of his domestic peace to keep a promise and to save a child. Because he never enjoys any harm done to anyone. Because he teaches his children the laws of men and gods. Because he feels responsible for his subordinates. Because he never pretends friendship where he feels none. Because he does not crave power but accepts the responsibility bestowed on him. Because he is capable of unselfish actions. Because he is capable of love and of making personal sacrifices for loved ones.

I guess everyone has their own list of "good people" and everyone is entitled to their own list. This is a discussion of which characters are considered to be "good" by various readers, not an attempt to make a single "official" list. While there are no perfect characters in this universe (no more than in ours), I think the OP gave us absolutely valid criteria for defining "goodness". Then again, other people might base their lists on other criteria.

Well, perhaps because he generally does what he considers the morally right thing in the given circumstances even if it is not easy or pleasant and is always willing to take personal responsibility for his actions.

I disagree, he does what he considers the honorable thing to do, he values honor above morality, except when it's beneficial to him or his family which makes him a hypocrite. he does his duty (what he considers honorable) even when he doesn't like it, I'll give him that. but he's also super self rightious about it.

Because he loses the Game of Thrones and dies for trying to spare the life of his enemy and her children. Because he confronts his king about the deaths of the Targaryen children and the planned assassination of a thirteen-year-old girl and her unborn child.

but at the same time he also agrees to take a child from his home and hold him captive under threat of death. which again, makes him a hypocrite.

Ned has some good qualities but he's also a judgemental prick who gets to break his vows for his family but when someone else does it they deserve to die. he's a self rightious, prejudiced hypocrite. and he's got just as much blood on his hands as the other characters, just because he didn't enjoy having that blood on his hands or considered it his only option doesn't make it any less bad then the blood the others have on their hands, they too usually considered it their only option and the right thing to do.

sure we're not makiing an "official" list, I was just wondering why he was put on the list cause I don't really understand. I understand of the others on the list, just not him. but if I were to make my own list, it would be this :

Davos, Sansa, Jon, Robb, Brienne, Cat, Jaime, Theon, Tommen, Myrcella,... there's probably more that I can't think of right now.

I disagree, he does what he considers the honorable thing to do, he values honor above morality, except when it's beneficial to him or his family which makes him a hypocrite. he does his duty (what he considers honorable) even when he doesn't like it, I'll give him that. but he's also super self rightious about it.

but at the same time he also agrees to take a child from his home and hold him captive under threat of death. which again, makes him a hypocrite.

Ned has some good qualities but he's also a judgemental prick who gets to break his vows for his family but when someone else does it they deserve to die. he's a self rightious, prejudiced hypocrite. and he's got just as much blood on his hands as the other characters, just because he didn't enjoy having that blood on his hands or considered it his only option doesn't make it any less bad then the blood the others have on their hands, they too usually considered it their only option and the right thing to do.

sure we're not makiing an "official" list, I was just wondering why he was put on the list cause I don't really understand. I understand of the others on the list, just not him. but if I were to make my own list, it would be this :

Davos, Sansa, Jon, Robb, Brienne, Cat, Jaime, Theon, Tommen, Myrcella,... there's probably more that I can't think of right now.

So you include Theon and Jaime among the good characters but Ned is a prejudiced hypocrite murderer ... Interesting. We just have very different value systems, I suppose. I told you how I see Ned, and the way you describe him seems like the description of a totally different character to me. We'll never agree, which is fine. Goodbye.

So you include Theon and Jaime among the good characters but Ned is a prejudiced hypocrite murderer ... Interesting. We just have very different value systems, I suppose. I told you how I see Ned, and the way you describe him seems like the description of a totally different character to me. We'll never agree, which is fine. Goodbye.

I include Jaime because he killed aerys BECAUSE (the reason is more important then the act if you ask me!) he decided that it was more important to do the morally right thing (save everyone) then the honorable thing (protect the king who was killing people in horrible ways) Jaime does not let himself be controlled by the law, he does what is right! and Ned judged him for breaking his oath when that oath told him to let his king do whatever horrible thing he pleased!

in include Theon he feels so horribly guilty about what he did in winterfell, he's actually one of the few characters who doesn't enjoy violence and doesn't justify it. he also risked himself to save Jeyne Poole because "the sound of her tears was too painfull to endure" he actually valued her as a person, while most people would only value her according to her political value, just like Ned did with Theon. (not that I really blame Ned for that considering the situation.)

but yes, we don't have to agree, people have different opinions, I feel like people forgive Ned for everything though and consider him some kind of symbol of virtue and regardless of if you like him or not I don't really get that because he looks at the world so black and white...

I include Jaime because he killed aerys BECAUSE (the reason is more important then the act if you ask me!) he decided that it was more important to do the morally right thing (save everyone) then the honorable thing (protect the king who was killing people in horrible ways) Jaime does not let himself be controlled by the law, he does what is right! and Ned judged him for breaking his oath when that oath told him to let his king do whatever horrible thing he pleased!

in include Theon he feels so horribly guilty about what he did in winterfell, he's actually one of the few characters who doesn't enjoy violence and doesn't justify it. he also risked himself to save Jeyne Poole because "the sound of her tears was too painfull to endure" he actually valued her as a person, while most people would only value her according to her political value, just like Ned did with Theon. (not that I really blame Ned for that considering the situation.)

but yes, we don't have to agree, people have different opinions, I feel like people forgive Ned for everything though and consider him some kind of symbol of virtue and regardless of if you like him or not I don't really get that because he looks at the world so black and white...

How does anybody put people like Jaime and Theon as "good" characters?

Why does it always come back to Jaime killing Aerys for his fans? What does that have to do with the piece of shit he has become in ASOIAF?

He tries to kill a child for gods sake for his own selfish reasons and recklessly endangers the country by committing treason with the queen and planting the seeds towards a succession war. He also tries to search out a child to either maim or kill her because he was being led by his dick. Seriously WTF?

And Theon really who has 2 children killed to save face is somehow a "good" character?

How does some little actions that Jaime and Theon do excuse their heinous violent actions towards innocents?

Archived