Hypothetical single combats: Who would win?

James Steller

It's just like Bernard Cornwell once wrote. The point beats the edge.

Granted, the verity of that statement is thrown into question during Cornwell's books (Arthur defeating Owain, who champions fighting with the point instead of the edge), but it's safe to say that Oberyn proved that fact when he took on the Mountain.

Cornwell also writes "Once you get past the point its as easy as killing rabbits".

If its a one-on-one fight a spear is only good against a sword if you can keep your distance. Oberyn immedietaly drops his spear in their fight when Gregor gets past the point and has to run back, trying to back and run away from Jaime is far harder than doing it to Gregor i'd wager

Khal Drogo vs. Sandor Clegane

Oberyn Martell vs. two handed Jaime Lannister

Gregor Clegane vs. Robert Baratheon

Eddard Stark vs. Beric Dondarrion

Barristan Selmy vs. Arthur Dayne (both in their prime)

Jorah Mormont vs. Thoros of Myr

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

-Hound

-Jaime, but good chance to die poisoned after

-Closer than peoples may expect, but probably still Mountain

-No idea who have the advantage here, but if i have to chose i will say Eddard, dude is no top 5 or 10 but still he's underrated as fuck

-Arthur, it is known

-Lord of the Friendzone is good but i go with Thoros who is very underrated: famous warrior and "he was a frequent tourney mêlée champion" and only lost i've read about was by Yohn Royce (wich is no shame) and he was using a normal mace because his flame sword was broken. I say Thoros by flame sword

-Let's be clear: most of advantage will go to Loras. But i see it as a 50/50, i will be absolutely zero surprised if Bronn play Loras into being overconfident and then slay him with dirty tactics. Actually i can even say 51/49 for Bronn :D

If anyone's interested in further match-ups, here's Round 2

Robb Stark vs. Jon Snow

Dunk vs. Brienne of Tarth

Jason Mallister vs. Hosteen Frey

Areoh Hotah vs. Balon Swann

Garlan Tyrell vs. Gerold Hightower

-Jon. If we are talking about sword duel Jon was already the best of the two, and since then he fuckton improved. If anything they started close as kids, but now Jon is on another league. And now that i think, being alive set him in another league too :D

-I usually hate how femminazi TV writers use Brienne to cheap audience marketing blowjobs (TV Brienne > Goku), but let's be clear: Brienne is a force of nature and very high on both skill and athleticism. Dunk was surely a ridicolous powerful dude, but took his beatings from not so stellar opponents.

Dunk most legendary trait was his smallfolk style honor and heart, but if we consider his HUGE size was not an incredible fighter.

Plus he will never go 100% against a woman. I say Brienne

-Areoh, probably

-Garlan. We don't know how good GH was(surely VERY good and VERY strong), but Garlan is supposed to be one of the greatest westerosi swordmen of asoiaf, and almost surely THE BEST active right now.

Garlan sound like a humble Jaime. Basically he will outskill you no matter what you do, and being humble you can forget even that 1% chance he go cocky overconfident. Suck to be the other :D

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

1. The hound due to his armor

2. Jaime wins in a duel but because of the poisoned weapon both die

3. The mountain. All Roberts advantages of strength and size don't stack up next to the mountain who is bigger and stronger.

4. Ned. Seems like beric loses against everyone.

5. Too close to call. I'd say a draw.

6. Jorah. Wildfire weakens Thoros sword and Jorah takes advantage.

7. Bronn due to speed and dueling expertise.

It's just like Bernard Cornwell once wrote. The point beats the edge.

Granted, the verity of that statement is thrown into question during Cornwell's books (Arthur defeating Owain, who champions fighting with the point instead of the edge), but it's safe to say that Oberyn proved that fact when he took on the Mountain.

As much as italian i have to worship point over edge (romans and ancient fencers FTW), Oberyn vs Mountain was not an example of that

It was more a way to show how range+speed>size+strenght

Basically hit and don't get hit is how you beat somebody bigger and stronger than you

Cornwell also writes "Once you get past the point its as easy as killing rabbits".

If its a one-on-one fight a spear is only good against a sword if you can keep your distance. Oberyn immedietaly drops his spear in their fight when Gregor gets past the point and has to run back, trying to back and run away from Jaime is far harder than doing it to Gregor i'd wager

Fair assessment, though I'd still point out that in Sharpe's Waterloo, the men who talk about killing rabbits end up getting slaughtered by Lancers.

Fair assessment, though I'd still point out that in Sharpe's Waterloo, the men who talk about killing rabbits end up getting slaughtered by Lancers.

The guy who knicked Sharpe's wife is killed but when he said the rabbit thing he was parroting what Henry Paget said, who was both a badass and survived

Sandor Vs Drogo-Sandor no doubt, Drogo is overrated..

Jaime Vs Oberyn-Jaime

Gregor Vs Robert- Gregor

Ned Vs Beric- Ned

Barristan vs Arthur- Without Dawn, Barristan

Loras Vs Bronn- This one is close but i would go with Bronn

Dunk Vs Brienne- Dunk

Jason Mallister Vs Hosteen Frey- Mallister

Hotah vs Swann- Balon Swann

Garlan Vs Gerold Hightower- Garlan Tyrell

Robb Vs Jon-It's Close but i would go with Robb even with Jon being better with a sword

If anyone's interested in further match-ups, here's Round 2

Robb Stark vs. Jon Snow

Dunk vs. Brienne of Tarth

Jason Mallister vs. Hosteen Frey

Areoh Hotah vs. Balon Swann

Garlan Tyrell vs. Gerold Hightower

1) Jon Snow (stated in the books, that Jon was better with swords)

2) Dunk

3) Probably Hosteen, the man is a beast.

4) Balon Swann

5) Garlan Tyrell

Asha Greyjoy vs Obara Sand

Tormund vs Strong Belwas

Theon non reek vs Ramsay

Osha vs Ygritte

Mance Rayder vs Rhaegar Targeryen

Wyman vs Illyrio

Bittersteel vs Robert Baratheon

Baelor Breakspear vs Oberyn Martell

Bloodraven vs Blackfish

Daemon Blackfyre vs Arthur Dayne

Obara

Tormund

Theon

Ygritte

Mance

Illyrio

Bob

Breakspear

Bloodraven

Blackfyre

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

1. Sandor would stomp him fairly easily

2. Jaime (Oberyn running circles around Gregor doesn't mean he can tangle with 1 of the greatest warriors)

3. Gregor stomps

4. Beric

5. Dayne is unbeatable 1v1 (even without dawn he has the edge)

6. Thoros

7. Loras

The best match up would be a triple threat - Arthur Dayne vs Daemon Blackfyre vs Aemon the Dragonknight

Khal Drogo vs. Sandor Clegane (he has... sword and plate armour)

Oberyn Martell vs. two handed Jaime Lannister (he found a trick to kill Clegane, he'll find something for this as well)

Gregor Clegane vs. Robert Baratheon (tight match, especially if we consider the warhammer, but Robert lacks the reach)

Eddard Stark vs. Beric Dondarrion (Eddard has Ice)
Barristan Selmy vs. Arthur Dayne (Arthur has Dawn)

Jorah Mormont vs. Thoros of Myr (he has a flaming sword and a god that apparently answers his calls)

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell (both are skilled, but Loras has, I assume, better equipment and proper training)

Asha Greyjoy vs Obara Sand

Tormund vs Strong Belwas

Theon non reek vs Ramsay

Osha vs Ygritte

Mance Rayder vs Rhaegar Targeryen

Wyman vs Illyrio

Bittersteel vs Robert Baratheon

Baelor Breakspear vs Oberyn Martell

Bloodraven vs Blackfish

Daemon Blackfyre vs Arthur Dayne

1. Obara

2. Tormund. Strong Belwas lets each opponent cut him once, but one strike from Tormund's member and it's all over.

3. Ramsay.

4. Ygritte.

5. Mance.

6. Wyman.

7. Bobby B.

8. Baelor, but he would die afterwards from poison.

9. Bloodraven.

10. Daemon.

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

Very tough call, but I say Sandor Clegane. (Both are noticably fast for their size and their size is about the same)

Jaime, but he dies of his poisoned wounds.

Gregor vs. prime Robert, Robert wins - Gregor vs. old Robert, Gregor wins.

Eddard Stark

Arthur Dayne

Jorah Mormont

In a sword fight, Bronn; in a joust, Loras

Archived