Who are the five most important characters? (Edit: formerly 3)

Archmaester Drew

Jon - the archetypal hidden prince. Fire and ice.

Danaerys - catalyst for change, has brought dragons back to the world.

Bran - being with godlike powers. The body is broken and the mind becomes stronger stereotype.

Tyrion - our narrator throughout this world, is the only character that has traveled so far.

Arya - wildcard- is capable of anything. Likely a tragic figure who won't survive to the end, but could end up very important.

hmm, let's see, first there are 3 guys who will 90% have a very big part in the next two books by my opinion

Bran - the fact that he is yet to do anything that really made an impact on other POV's, and his whole situation is just set up do do something important.

Dany - mother of dragon, the French revolution of essos, heavilly implied to have a big part in the fight against the others.

Jon - well, the whole R+L=J thing is probably right, and it's gotta have some impact on the story.

hmm, now it gets a little harder

Samwell - i'm pretty sure he's got important things left to do, probably discover some big conspiracy

Stannis - just because someone isn't a POV doesn't mean he can't be important!

i didn't include tyrion for the same reason i DID include bran, he did so much to affect the plot, and i personally think he should have died in aSoS, don't get me wrong, i'm one of his biggest fans, but i don't see him being too important in the next two books

i didn't include arya because what will she do? murder someone? i don't think she'll do anything more significant than shake off a plot by getting rid of one of it's main players.

Silly people, thinking the original POVs from book one are important....

When you say it like that sure, but it's oversimplified and possibly kind of bitter.

There are clearly main characters in this story.

The only one I would argue would be ned. His actions are still effecting and some haven't even been revealed yet but will be by bran or howland or maybe benjen

Frankly, I think it would be easier to just admit that Dany, Tyrion, Jon, Sansa, Bran and Arya are the heart and soul of ASOIAF and together represent the most important characters within the story. Martin intended to tell the story from these six POVs exclusively, along with Ned and Cat, and I think that speaks to their importance together.

Dany and Jon because I think GRRM means they both to be great leaders.

Tyrion because he seems to be the lead character of the whole series and interacts with so many groups-he's family to the Lannisters, marries into the Starks, and now is probably heading to Dany and her crew.

And for the last two, Varys and Littlefinger because they seem to be behind so much that goes on and are manipulating so much of the action.

Jon- Set up to do the most important thing in the book I think. Whatever that will be.

Dany- Hard to be more important than the owner of 3 dragons. Could be Jon's love by book's end.

Vary's- Just a suspicion that he is the prime villain.

Bran- The Chosen One

Tyrion- No clue what his final role will be, but he will be huge.

I think 3 is actually the right number and 4 is the 2nd best number. 5 is hard, but I'll do 5 since you ask.

The big 3 are, well you know who they are. I think it's pretty easy to put Bran as #4: he's just as clearly behind them as he is ahead of everybody else. #5 is tough, but I think I have to move past the arguments for the Lannister twins, Stannis and even the underdog dark horse Davos to either Littlefinger or one of the Stark girls. But which one? Man, that's really hard to say. As much as Littlefinger still seems like a buy stock, he's not a POV character, and will George let somebody we don't know win? I doubt it. Think I'll go with Arya just because she has had more written about her so far than Sansa. Even though it's harder to see what her important role could be than it is to see that with Sansa, I just think it's going to be something.

It's really hard to rank the top 3. There are excellent arguments for putting the top 3 in any of the 6 possible orders (TDJ, TJD, DJT, DTJ, JDT, JTD).

If I'm using the people who get dinged on by prophecies and subtle clues, I'd probably go with

1. Jon

2. Daenerys

3. Tyrion

But I'm much more inclined to go with the people who the story so far seems to have been about. I think Jon is clearly #3 looking at it this way, but after much hand wringing, I will say

1. Tyrion

2. Daenerys

3. Jon

So: Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, Bran and Arya in that order. Drop by and visit, Sansa. Alone, please. . . .

The first 4 seem pretty obvious-

Tyrion

Bran

Jon Snow

Daenerys

I think that the 5th most important would be Aegon- if anything, for the implications that his character has for everyone else. (dethrone the Lannister/Tyrell regime, give Dorne a further purpose, potential 3rd head of the Dragon, potential ally/adversary for Daenerys/Jon Snow, potential King for Tyrion to make, potential to unite the realm and give Westeros a good King).

Archived