The Rains of Castamere, and an obvious reference

WilliamWesterosiWallace

Ok, I want to start this thread by stating that I now think I"m extremely dumb...

Look at the full "Rains of Castamere" lyrics:

And who are you, the proud lord said,

that I must bow so low?

Only a cat of a different coat,

that's all the truth I know.

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

And mine are long and sharp, my lord,

as long and sharp as yours.

And so he spoke, and so he spoke,

that lord of Castamere,

But now the rains weep o'er his hall,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,

and not a soul to hear.

Only now, two years after I started reading ASOIAF, I realized that the "rains" are supposed to rhyme with the "Reynes"

Yes now the Reynes weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear...

Did anyone else also miss that obvious reference? Please don't tell me it's just me... :D

There is plenty to miss in the series, but if English is your primary language and you know who the Reynes are, you should have known.

Did you imagine Reynes pronounced as Ray-ness? I suppose a lot of people invent funny pronunciations for various names. One of the hassles of reading about a hundred fictional characters.

Rains / Reynes - just reads identically.

Still, from an atheistic pov it's hard to picture a whole family of dead souls crying in a hall without just reading it as plain rain. This provokes a choice and an encouragement to think spiritually. It would be quite fun imagining the Reynes dead souls attempting retribution...Lannister debts and all.

English is not my first language, folks, therefore I actually don't know how to pronounce some words in the American/British accent.

For example, when people read Lys as "Lies", or Myr like "Merr", I get kinda confused, because these are words sopposed to sound kind of latin, without the excess of "rr"s, and softer tunes.

The Reynes of Castamere could be the name of the song too, and that is the reference I missed, but that's just my lack of english control. Sorry.

*Slow clap.*

What if it actually means "rain" and we're all just overlooking it?

It means rain. It sounds like Reyne, and it is supposed to tell the story of the Reynes. Just a little reference some people seem to have missed.

There is plenty to miss in the series, but if English is your primary language and you know who the Reynes are, you should have known.

Did you imagine Reynes pronounced as Ray-ness? I suppose a lot of people invent funny pronunciations for various names. One of the hassles of reading about a hundred fictional characters.

Looking through these boards there are plenty of people who either do not have english as a first language, or are just frightfully bad at it.

Theres a board where people thought Damphair was pronounced "dam fair"!

I mean come on!!!! That doesnt even make sense.

I only found out about "Damp Hair" when GRRM was asked how it was pronounced on a video about a year back. I guess you get it or you don't! :dunno:

Seeing it as a description of his...wet hair as opposed to a name / title never occurred to me, and just seemed some niche in-universe thing. It doesn't help that my name has a ph pronounced as a "f". There is no real "her" in Christopher :)

Rains / Reynes - just reads identically.

Still, from an atheistic pov it's hard to picture a whole family of dead souls crying in a hall without just reading it as plain rain. This provokes a choice and an encouragement to think spiritually. It would be quite fun imagining the Reynes dead souls attempting retribution...Lannister debts and all.

You don't have to believe in God to allow for the possibility that there is an afterlife in the story-world. Plus it makes the song that much more awesome.

You don't have to believe in God to allow for the possibility that there is an afterlife in the story-world. Plus it makes the song that much more awesome.

absolutely, i would probably still call myself atheist, but increasingly, i'm coming to believe in a story-world afterlife.

all i'm saying is that atheism can potentially dull the imagination and explain why spiritual meanings then get missed. further, it's easy to dismiss it as "poetic" and not think how this could actually play a future part in a world with an afterlife. the idea of this historical boast coming back to haunt them is pretty awesome too.

Looking through these boards there are plenty of people who either do not have english as a first language, or are just frightfully bad at it.

Theres a board where people thought Damphair was pronounced "dam fair"!

I mean come on!!!! That doesnt even make sense.

What's humiliating is that the ones for whom English is not their first language are usually better at it than many for whom it is, and that so many are bad at it despite it being their first language.

Archived