AcroPhilia Game 2

Lady Blizzardborn

There's no incentive to making your clue gettable or even obscure/stylish. When the best fave clue only nets 3 points then why bother going for subtle or witty. Yet going gettable gets you nowt. If I were a snooker player then all my future clues would be rock hard thus messing with the DGs of this world ( well done btw ) doing a clean sweep.

I know, I'm pretty good at guessing but I'm excellent at coming up with obvious clues.

I don't recall last game, but this time your clue was indeed very obvious, that's true.

There's no incentive to making your clue gettable or even obscure/stylish. When the best fave clue only nets 3 points then why bother going for subtle or witty. Yet going gettable gets you nowt. If I were a snooker player then all my future clues would be rock hard thus messing with the DGs of this world ( well done btw ) doing a clean sweep.

Yeah, for the second round I went from an absolutely obvious clue to a slightly less obvious and slightly incorrect but stylish clue to one that's correct, less stylish and maybe another bit less obvious. It still feels way to obvious for a game without author points, though. I should think of something more obscure.

The way I see it under Lady B's rules, I feel I have an obligation to make sure the clue I create is at least gettable (in that it makes sense and does point mainly to the character in question), but at the same time there's no reason to make it easy (and certainly little incentive under these rules). It can point to the character in question and be understandable but also tricky. I'm willing to be trusting that people will come up with gettable clues even if they're not easy.

It would make the guessing stage utterly ridiculous if everyone created near-impossible clues.

The way I see it under Lady B's rules, I feel I have an obligation to make sure the clue I create is at least gettable (in that it makes sense and does point mainly to the character in question), but at the same time there's no reason to make it easy (and certainly little incentive under these rules). It can point to the character in question and be understandable but also tricky. I'm willing to be trusting that people will come up with gettable clues even if they're not easy.

It would make the guessing stage utterly ridiculous if everyone created near-impossible clues.

Yep. I think there's a bit of social responsibility to make clues gettable but also challenging enough and creative enough to make the game interesting and to maybe get favorite clue votes.

The trick is finding that balance in clue writing. I find I'm bad at it.

Yeah, well, I had some clue last game I thought would be perfectly easy to get and quiet many people didn't do so. I'm quiet sure the first clue I came up with was the most obvious, but I've got no idea which of the others is the least obvious. They all seem quiet gettable to me and Lady Blizzardborn agreed they were fitting, but then again we both know which character I have :dunno:

The clue I have sent in is very obvious for this second round. I am trying to write something more obscure, but I have had three nights of Thanksgiving dinner and I feel the bloat has gone to my brain. So you may all have one very easy clue this time around.

I thought my Viserys clue had a big hint in "hotheaded", and then almost fell off my chair when I saw the next clue also used hotheaded. I also thought "petulant talk" was a good hint because I always considered him as a spoiled git who was pretty petulant over his sister's change in status, though I guess I could have used petty, or pathetic, or patronizing as well. :)

Yep. I think there's a bit of social responsibility to make clues gettable but also challenging enough and creative enough to make the game interesting and to maybe get favorite clue votes.

The trick is finding that balance in clue writing. I find I'm bad at it.

I have probably made my clues too "gettable", but I do not regret doing so. :)

Let the tricky be tricky.

If i was gonna go for hardcore self interested scoring I'd make my clues as outrageously difficult as possible. But because I'm a sportsman I'm working to keep my clues getable. Last game having the ability to come up with easy clues definitely helped me win.

Yeah, that strategy would probably backfire because the host has to understand how the clue fits the character, and I'm not at my best consistently here. :D

Yeah, well, I had some clue last game I thought would be perfectly easy to get and quiet many people didn't do so. I'm quiet sure the first clue I came up with was the most obvious, but I've got no idea which of the others is the least obvious. They all seem quiet gettable to me and Lady Blizzardborn agreed they were fitting, but then again we both know which character I have :dunno:

I thought yours was very pretty straight-forward.

I thought my Viserys clue had a big hint in "hotheaded", and then almost fell off my chair when I saw the next clue also used hotheaded. I also thought "petulant talk" was a good hint because I always considered him as a spoiled git who was pretty petulant over his sister's change in status, though I guess I could have used petty, or pathetic, or patronizing as well. :)

I liked your clue a lot. It was one that really had me thinking for a while. My first possible answer (after much time thinking) was Janos Slynt and remained so for a while. Once I finally thought of Viserys I was pretty confident, but the clue did exactly what I'd like the clues to do - make me think and take me a while to get it.

I missed on
#1 Rodrik Harlaw - like Yomi, I wrote "Areo Hotah"and was quite confident of it. I guess for the purpose of this game Captain = Lord?
#2 Davos - I wrote "Jon Con" and was quite confident of that as well because of the "perhaps trimmed".
#8 Qhorin - I had this right in my prelim entry, but in a clear case of over thinking I got wound up in the "Right digits left" bit, and looked for a member of the NW that had all the fingers of his right hand but had lost some off his left hand. So I came up with Gared, a seasoned wildling hunter who had lost a finger off his left hand.
#9 The Mountain - also had this right in the prelim and changed it to Tywin. Just dumb.
#13 Viserys - duh. Seems obvious now, but I had a Mountain sized mental block about Viserys. First I said Brandon Stark (because that's what I do in guessing games, I guess Brandon Stark, over and over and over - and he's never failed to fail me. :P ). Did change it finally . . . to Joffrey.
#15 Jamie - Good clue. And another mental block for me. I got stuck on "coat" - because nobody in ASOAIF wears coats - they wear cloaks. Not that hard a leap, but it hung me up. So after first writing "no guess" I put in Dontos Hollard just to have a shot.

I did get a couple right after having them wrong:
#6 Blackfish - I had Brienne initially, but didn't feel good about.
#12 Robb Stark - I had Ned at first, which fits the clue as well as Robb, but I had to change 5 guesses. Got lucky with this one.

I'm not sure the prelim round is helpful to me. Unless I'm feeling really shaky about a guess I'll probably just go through to the final with my first (and usually best) guesses.

I'm curious if the prelim round helped anybody?

That was: Raven deputy likes talking with him.

I like this one better than the one you submitted - and I voted for that one!

I still love the game.

Me too. :)

. It was only when I figured out the theme that I was able to get it right.

=O You not only got the theme but it helped you??
I was looked for a connection in the storyline and quickly realized I was not going to find one, so I quit looking. Now I'm thinking I have to try harder next time because it will help with the answers to the clues.

I think the one you took was better, this one could refer to Jon just as well as to Jeor.

#1: I had Areo Hotah for this. I was even quiet sure for this.
#6: :bang: For once I really had a language problem. You see "through" and "by" would both translate to "durch" in german, so I was looking for someone who lost or died downstream of Riverrun because of a kingsguard. Finally went for for Brienne because she got in troubles in the lower Riverlands because of the sword Jaime gave her...
#9: I finally went for Jaime here, who overpowered his threat to Edmure by letting Tom play the Rains of Castamere. Also I had Gregor for #12.
#12: I was looking for someone who terminated his father and became head of house. Tyrion didn't manage the later yet, besides I guessed him correctly for #10, but there are rumours about Gregor...
#13: I was looking for someone who died because of someone else' petulant talk, but didn't really find one except lots of minor characters who die because their lords insulted each other. I somehow ended up with Jorah, don't even recall myself how that happened.
#15: We meet a lot of kingsguard fitting this clue don't we? I had Arys in the prelims and Barristan in the finals. I considered Jyime as well, but then too him for #9.

Well, can only get better next round, right? :dunce:

Durch die Wuste! (It's a nice little board game I own. :) ) That clue was tough in English. I had Brienne too, at first. It was the image of sand slipping through your finger like Blackfish slipped through Jamie's that did it for me. You wouldn't use "durch" for that idea?

I can't believe it! I thought of 'the' but thought it was too ridiculous. I almost sent a PS but never goy round to it. Oh well only one point.

At least you had a thought . . .

With clue 15, the key that marks it out as Jaime is "pride", as in a pride of lions. I thought it was a wonderfully clever clue! Coat of high pride works as a reference to a kingsguard and a reference to the Lannister sigil/coat of arms.

Ooo, nice work!

honeyed chicken, every Iron Islands lord is a Captain as well. Rodrik's ship is the Sea Song.

And in clue number 2 trimmed referred to Davos' missing finger bones. He's a captain, and he's a Hand with a "trimmed" hand.

If it helps, Round 2 will be another "no way, that's too easy" theme. I'll try to think up something sufficiently challenging for round 3 though. After the grueling hours of trying to figure out DG's themes I thought some players might like something a bit less demanding. :D

LOL I had the 'Essosi' and 'Dead' themes for respite, and the 'wedded during the books' theme I thought was going to be fairly easy. I tried to have a good balance of difficulty.

HC, I had 14/15 in my prelims. I had clue 1 wrong but knowing I was along the right lines on the theme helped me correct that one (although, I did actually reread the Rodrik Harlaw/Asha library scene to check).

honeyed chicken, every Iron Islands lord is a Captain as well. Rodrik's ship is the Sea Song.

And in clue number 2 trimmed referred to Davos' missing finger bones. He's a captain, and he's a Hand with a "trimmed" hand.

If it helps, Round 2 will be another "no way, that's too easy" theme. I'll try to think up something sufficiently challenging for round 3 though. After the grueling hours of trying to figure out DG's themes I thought some players might like something a bit less demanding. :D

That's true. Harlaw is a Capt.

Got stuck with Hotah - THE Captain, and couldn't get past it. My Capt = Lord issue was more with Davos. Technically a smuggler is captain of his ship, but I don't think he's ever referred to as such in the books. The "Captain or Hand" in the clue seems to refer more to the moment when Stannis elevated him from lord to hand.

The "trimmed" was clear, it was the "perhaps" that turned me to Connington.

I promise, I will try not to overthink on your theme. :)

What were DG's themes? Now I'm curious.

Sorry it wasn't clear Honey. Especially me putting in 'perhaps' I could've said 'partially' but felt that, that was going to be too obvious.

Davos Seaworth, commonly called the Onion Knight, is the head of House Seaworth. He was once a smuggler, but after Robert's Rebellion he became a landed knight and Stannis Baratheon's most honest and loyal supporter. He captains Black Betha. He has seven sons, many of them serving on ships in Stannis's fleet. His wifeMarya tends his lands on Cape Wrath. Davos created his own house sigil, a black ship

Sorry it wasn't clear Honey. Especially me putting in 'perhaps' I could've said 'partially' but felt that, that was going to be too obvious.

Davos Seaworth, commonly called the Onion Knight, is the head of House Seaworth. He was once a smuggler, but after Robert's Rebellion he became a landed knight and Stannis Baratheon's most honest and loyal supporter. He captains Black Betha. He has seven sons, many of them serving on ships in Stannis's fleet. His wifeMarya tends his lands on Cape Wrath. Davos created his own house sigil, a black ship

You're right about Davos being Captain on the Betha. I think I did vaguely remember that when I first looked at the clue. I retract my captain = lord comment.

The problem with the "perhaps" is Connington was also a Captain (in the Golden Co.) and Hand (to Aerys) and "perhaps" his hand will be trimmed because of the greyscale. "Previously" or "precisely" would have avoided that confusion.

Oh well, I voted you favourite, so hopefully that makes up for it a bit.

As for myself, I've got no excuse, just couldn't think of the right answers.

1.Captain offers heiress precedential text.

Answer: Rodrik Harlaw "The Reader”

I had Areo Hotah, which I knew was wrong, but better than leaving it blank.

4. Randy defier loathed treasonous, wicked hand.

Answer: Oberyn Nymeros Martell "The Red Viper (of Dorne)”

I had Robert Baratheon. Again knew it was wrong, but...

12. Chief of House. Pater terminated.

Answer: Robb Stark "The Young Wolf”

Rickard Karstark after changing it from Ned Stark

13. Casualty of hotheaded petulant talk.

Answer: Viserys Targaryen, 3rd of his name "The Beggar King”

Quentyn Martell (yes, knew it was wrong) after changing it from Lommy.

Archived