'Ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.'

Impling

So is this foreshadowing (pun intended) that Tyrion makes a shadowbaby with Melisandre or some other shadowbinder? Maybe Tyrion finds true love? Would Cersei be the target or would it be one of her children first?

So is this foreshadowing (pun intended) that Tyrion makes a shadowbaby with Melisandre or some other shadowbinder? Maybe Tyrion finds true love? Would Cersei be the target or would it be one of her children first?

Given the opportunity I believe Tyrion would become a shadowbaby making machine. But I got the impression that Mel either prefers or needs a high quality of seed to make a shadowbaby.

Given the opportunity I believe Tyrion would become a shadowbaby making machine. But I got the impression that Mel either prefers or needs a high quality of seed to make a shadowbaby.

Because Tyrion's seed is of a rather, shall we say, low quality? Almost dwarfish in fact. Seriously though he might have king's blood through Aerys. Actually doesn't he definitely have king's blood through Lan the Clever or whomever? Tyrion is heir to one of seven kingdoms after all.

I took the "very large shadow" as an anti-Melisandre thing, like if Tyrion was going to oppose her efforts, willingly or incidentally.
But it was a sensation back then because I liked him and disliked her, more than everything else.

There's this quote from AGoT. "... And for a moment, Tyrion Lannister stood as tall as a king."

I think all these quotes illustrate Tyrion's importance for ASoIaF.

My thoughts exactly! And there was also when he was at the Wall Aemon said that he thought Tyrion was a giant amongst them.

I think it is a quote from Nietzche that gave GRRM the inspiration for that quote: that when the sun is low, even dwarfs cast large shadows (i am paraphrasing a little bit). It means that even weak/insignificant people are seen as strong/significant when there is ignorance/dire times/no brilliant people around. Well Tyrion is a dwarf so Martin inverted the meaning of the quote by stating it under a different context.

My thoughts exactly! And there was also when he was at the Wall Aemon said that he thought Tyrion was a giant amongst them.

You're welcome. =o)

I have another one.

"He is a bigger man than he seems, I think." That one's by Garlan Tyrell.

And I would have never thought that Tyrion were to be involved with shadow babies à la Melisandre in the first place.

GRRM underlines the character "Tyrion Lannister" with these quotes.

Well its not something thats not ever talked about/been established on these forums since its not about R+L=J/pertains to an equally significant and less picked up on theory.

Large shadows, Large shadow-casting = Dragon(s) in this series.

Its as fundamental of a word association as Arbor gold and lies, sapphires and secrets ect; but since its not a hidden association people dont see the potential significance of pointing out the (constant) association between dragons and shadows.

But this is it.

"And for a moment, Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a King." (still the biggest "oh shit" subtlety for me while re-reading, and its right at the beginning)

"And you a small man casting a large shadow snarling in the midst of it all."

Archived