Rugby - RIP Jonah Lomu.

The Anti-Targ

0-3 for in predictions ;)

England missing a lot of players though, it is hard to judge how strong the team would be at the WC given how many are missing now.

It was a very tough match. Not pretty, but so many tackles and hardfought battles.

Yeah, it's a bit of problem position, there's nobody who really stands out as demanding selection. Simpson should really be in the squad, bringing on Wigglesworth for Youngs when you're chasing a game is a waste if time.

In terms if younger 9s Cook and, when he plays, Robson look ok but they're not really ready to step up yet. I really liked the look of Taylor from last year's Junior World Cup winning side but apparently he's finishing his degree before he even starts playing Premiership rugby so he's miles off at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

OK some predictions for the weekend's games although after my performance in the last round perhaps they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Wales vs Ireland: The key game of the weekend and Ireland are a bit stronger than they were for the England game with Heaslip back. I'd be surprised if we see any major changes to the Irish tactics given how effective they've been and with how reluctant Wales are to play from deep if they get on top in the kicking battle you'd think they'd be particularly well suited to this match up. Having said that the Welsh team with their back three and Bigger are better equipped to deal with an aerial bombardment than the England side Ireland beat last time out and they do have home advantage to give them a boost. France and England both caused Ireland problems when they were able to get some possession in the Irish half and you'd think Wales could do the same but it just comes down to who wins the territorial battle. Wales are probably better placed to do that than the teams Ireland have played so far but still I'd back Murray and Sexton to still come out on top so I'll go with an Irish win unfortunately.

England vs Scotland: I'm going to the game so hopefully it'll be a good one. It's a bit of a shame both sides lost last time out to take a bit of the shine off it but hopefully they'll both keep looking to play as they have in earlier games. England with Brown and Lawes back in have a stronger side than they did for the Ireland game. Scotland, despite losing Dunbar who's been playing well, are probably stronger than their last game as well with Russell back in, Matt Scott an able replacement for Dunbar and Denton adding a bit of power to the back row which has been slightly lacking. Scotland go with a 5-s split on the bench with Ashe coming in as well. I keep saying this without it paying off too much but I do think Scotland had been showing some good signs prior to the Italy game and they've got some good players but, still, I'd expect England to come out on top at Twickenham.

Italy vs France: France have made a shitload of changes so I doubt they'll be particularly good given their recent track record. Italy will be buoyed by their win and they do tend to be better at home. Having said that, as always, France still have a fair amount of talent in their team and in theory I do actually like the Mermoz Fickou partnership in the centre but who knows whether they'll turn up. I'll probably just go with a France win but I wouldn't be too confident.

I don't think I've ever said this about rugby before, but with the 20+ point head start Scotland tried to give us... we should have stuck 50 points on them. We will rue that next week, we've definitely got the toughest match to pile up a points difference in.

Burrell needs to be taken out back and shot, and I think I'd rather play a pair of OCs than any of the ICs Burt has shown so much faith in. Get Manu, Lowe, Slade or Daly in there, and ditch Burrell, Barritt, 36 etc.

Yeah, the results went England's way but they really should have racked up more points. Credit to Scotland for sticking in there but there were five or six clear try scoring opportunities they let slip. If it comes down to points difference they might regret that.

Watched the Italy-France game. Perhaps the most dire International Rugby match I've ever seen. Do they use different, ungrippable balls when none of the home nations are involved? The sheer volume of handling errors was a sight to behold. And to top it off only one of the four fly-halves (Plisson, the French backup) who played in the game was actually capable of kicking the ball properly. At one point Orquera had a kick for a 5m lineout from about 10m away and managed to kick it backwards, giving them a throw-in at the 8m line. France won because they had a far superior scrum (particularly once they brought in their subs) and the two players (Snedding, Plisson) who didn't look like they were half asleep.

ST

Yeah we had probably the best and worst game of the championship this weekend.

Next Saturday should be good though. Wales points deficit seems enormous making it more of an Ireland/England affair for me. I'll be at Murrafield sat next to an Irishman so that'll be interesting, hopefully Scotland can at least force a close loss (they had only lost the first three matches by a total of 13 points.) Then the England match depends whether they can sharpen up their game, and crucially which French team turns up.

In fairness the conditions did look tough in Rome but, yeah, it wasn't a great game.

It could well be a cracking last weekend of the tournament though, great to see all three games having a potential impact on who wins the Six Nations.

Wales have probably the easiest game to potentially rack up a score in but, as you said Blackbear, they've got a big, although not entirely insurmountable, deficit to make up. Losing Lee could be a blow as Italy will definitely target the set piece as always. Ireland only have a small deficit to make up and they'll be pleased with how often England were able to open up the Scottish defence on Saturday but they haven't looked spectacular with ball in hand and Scotland could cause them some problems, they haven't got a great recent record at Murrayfield either. England have probably looked the best attacking side in the tournament and you wouldn't rule out France folding away from home but the French do have plenty of talent in the backs combined with power in the forwards which could cause England problems. I'd probably have Ireland as slight favourites at this point.

It should be a great day at Murrayfield on Saturday Blackbear. I'm jealous.

Predictions for the last round of games.

Italy v Wales: Losing both of their starting props from last week is a bit of a problem for Wales and I expect Italy to target their scrum but I doubt it'll be enough. Parisse being out is a big blow for the Italians as well, I think he's had a bit of a tendency to coast through games a bit in recent years but he's still the focus of most of what they do. Wales to win comfortably but probably not by enough to overhaul either Ireland or England if they win their games.

Scotland v Ireland: A little bit harsh on the players who drop out for both sides but they've both clearly gone for a little more power in the pack. Although I doubt Ireland will create quite as many chances as England did last week you'd still expect them to score some points on the Scottish defence so the question will be whether the Scotland are able to put up some points of their own. I think Ireland will be well prepared enough that I expect them to win although perhaps not by a massive margin.

England v France: Parling in should improve England's lineout, which has been unusually shaky. I'm still not a massive fan of Easter as lock cover on the bench but, to give him credit, he's been ok at it and since England might be chasing points having his carrying ability to bring off the bench might be a bonus. Plisson in for an apparently injured Lopez for France, perhaps a bit of a step down but Lopez hasn't been stellar by any means. I'm quite relived they haven't brought in Domingo and Picamoles both of whom could have caused problems. If this goes to form you'd expect an England win but if France turn up with their power in the pack it has the biggest potential to be an upset. Still I'm going to go for an England win but not by enough to win the championship.

I think it will be close, but will be between Wales and Ireland. I expect Wales to rack up a cricket score, though perhaps only an England one. I expect Ireland to win comfortably, but will it be enough? I pessimistically expect England to lose narrowly. On balance, I'll go with Ireland to win, buggrit.

Archived