What would Rhaegar think of Jon Snow?

sj4iy

Where did you get the idea that Rhaenys was the mother of dragons? If Rhaegar didn't give a shit about Visenya how come he named his children 'Rhaenys' and 'Aegon' after the original participants in the Conquest. And besides Visenya was kickass. She conquered the Vale a place famed for it's defensibly and wielded Dark Sister and she's one of the few women acknowledged as warriors. Rhaenys meanwhile didn't conquer Dorne, was told to get lost by an eighty year old woman and lost her life and her dragon while idiotically trying to conquer the place.

All Westerosi Targs except usurping kinslaying Maegor are descended from Rhaenys. She is the mother of the Targaryen kings, again, with the exception of Visenya's usurping kinslaying impotent son. If Rhaegar was trying to name his children after Aegon and his sisters, he failed, as he skipped right over Visenya and went right to Rhaenys and then Aegon, the names of his own ancestors. He never wanted a Visenya. He wanted an Orys. :)

Where did you get the idea that Rhaenys was the mother of dragons? If Rhaegar didn't give a shit about Visenya how come he named his children 'Rhaenys' and 'Aegon' after the original participants in the Conquest. And besides Visenya was kickass. She conquered the Vale a place famed for it's defensibly and wielded Dark Sister and she's one of the few women acknowledged as warriors. Rhaenys meanwhile didn't conquer Dorne, was told to get lost by an eighty year old woman and lost her life and her dragon while idiotically trying to conquer the place.

Why would Rhaegar want to name his son after a Baratheon? Why not Jaehaerys or Daeron?

Rhaenys is the mother of dragons as in House Targaryen - it was the Aegon/Rhaenys line that continued, not Aegon/Visenya. Which may explain Rhaegar naming his older daughter Rhaenys - Visenya was older. (For the record I agree that Visenya was kickass, just explaining.)

As for naming Jon Orys, the logic there is that Orys was quite possibly the original Targ trio's bastard brother. Though under the circumstances another name might be best.

^That's one of the reasons I want Jon to be Rhaegar's bastard. Because Orys was -allegedly- a bastard and he kicked ass.

:lol:

A Baratheon in name. What Rhaegar wanted was a quality bastard to complement his forefather and foremother.

Orys forcibly married Argliac's daughter and impregnated her. He stole her banners and words. He's basically in Tyrion's position except poor Argella didn't get to escape. Though I could see historians portraying him as a mighty warrior who treated the daughter of the man he killed and would have died than be captured by him, courteously.

I admit I'm rather pissed at Aegon for openly favoring Rhaenys and because of that Visenya's line didn't get to continue. She does suggest having a motherly nature as she let the King of the Mountains and the Vale sit in her lap and take her dragon for a ride. But I do get symbolically Rhaenys being "the Mother of Dragons" (rather ironic since her dragon was the first to get killed) I thought you were talking about a Dany style "Mother of Dragons".

"Robert, don't you see? this proves that, despite he's my child with Lyanna, I still love you! You're my cousin! there is no need for you t--"

*punch*

:lol: :rofl:

I can see Robert being even more pissed at naming Jon 'Orys'.

^That's one of the reasons I want Jon to be Rhaegar's bastard. Because Orys was -allegedly- a bastard and he kicked ass.

:lol:

I would say that Jon kicks ass whether he's a bastard or not XD

Orys forcibly married Argliac's daughter and impregnated her. He stole her banners and words. He's basically in Tyrion's position except poor Argella didn't get to escape. Though I could see historians portraying him as a mighty warrior who treated the daughter of the man he killed and would have died than be captured by him, courteously.

I admit I'm rather pissed at egon for openly favoring Rhaenys and because of that Visenya's line didn't get to continue. She does suggest having a motherly nature as she let the King of the Mountains and the Vale sit in her lap and take her dragon for a ride. But I do get symbolically Rhaenys being "the Mother of Dragons" (rather ironic since her dragon was the first to get killed) I thought you were talking about a Dany style "Mother of Dragons".

Um do you know something about Orys Baratheron that the rest of us, including possibly GRRM, don't know?

I admit I'm rather pissed at Aegon for openly favoring Rhaenys and because of that Visenya's line didn't get to continue. She does suggest having a motherly nature as she let the King of the Mountains and the Vale sit in her lap and take her dragon for a ride. But I do get symbolically Rhaenys being "the Mother of Dragons" (rather ironic since her dragon was the first to get killed) I thought you were talking about a Dany style "Mother of Dragons".

Visenya's line didn't get to continue because her son never got any of his wives pregnant and that was the only child she had with Aegon. That is not Aegon's fault that their kid was probably infertile.

As for naming Jon Orys, the logic there is that Orys was quite possibly the original Targ trio's bastard brother. Though under the circumstances another name might be best.

If Jon was legitimate and Rhaegar named him Orys seeing how Orys was a rumored bastard brother of Aegon and since bastard's have a certain stigma attached to them it really wouldn't be a smart political move and gives people the opportunity to make snide comments.

And like JCRB pointed out hilariously it would probably anger Robert who does not need to be provoked any further.

Um do you know something about Orys Baratheron that the rest of us, including possibly GRRM, don't know?

I seriously doubt that Argella wanted to marry and get pregnant by the guy who helped conquer her kingdom and killed her father. Also House Durrendon's sigil and words were adopted by Orys and he ruled their lands and lived in their castle.

Visenya convinced a young Arryn child to "settle" for riding a dragon. It doesn't take a genius to pull that off. Unless Aegon was intentionally trying to get Rhaenys killed, it seems he had more regard for her abilities than Visenya's, despite Visenya seemingly having a more militant rep.

I think that Aegon underestimated the Dornish quite severely which led to several more stupid attempts at conquering Dorne. Visenya conquered the Eyrie and took the Vale without a drop of blood being spilled. Rhaenys on the other hand was told to get lost by an eighty year old, bald, almost blind woman.

1. Visenya didn't offer the Arryn kid a ride because she was motherly, but because she wanted to terrorise the mother of the kid. And it worked.

2. Damn... I like her. I also like Aegon but he was an idiot to prefer Rhaenys, tbh.

1. Yeah, I was wrong on that. Sorry.

2. Totally agree :)

Visenya's line didn't get to continue because her son never got any of his wives pregnant and that was the only child she had with Aegon. That is not Aegon's fault that their kid was probably infertile.

Aegon openly favored Rhaenys which meant more trips to the bedroom at night with Rhaenys which also meant less chances of pregnancy for Visenya.

Kind of depends but I think the first thing he would say is "You look like your mother"

Then Jon would likely punch him in the face drawing blood.

Then he would say with a laugh as he looked at the blood in his hand "Well you are your mother's son, that is for sure."

I admittedly love this one.

Archived